Best Place to Snorkel - E. Caribbean

sjskrea86

I'm sure this has probably already been asked so I apologize if it is a duplicate. We will be cruising in February on an Eastern Caribbean journey with stops in Nassau, San Juan, St. Martin and St. Thomas. My DH has expressed an interest in snorkeling and golf (I realize this isn't a board for golf questions). Since he hasn't mentioned anything so far that he would really like to do (until now), I thought I would ask all of you to see what you thought were the best places for snorkeling. Unfortunately, I am not a swimmer at all although I would like to be with him. Until this past week I wouldn't even get in water that my feet didn't touch bottom! I practiced a little and now feel that I can at least float in deep water with a life jacket on.

Thanks for your help. I have learned so much from these boards and as a first time cruiser I really appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Of the ports you mentioned, I would say St. Thomas would be your best bet. Next to Coral World is Coki Beach. You can walk right out to some coral that is approximately chest deep. There are a lot of fish there. If you bring dog biscuits, the fish will feed like crazy right out of your hand. This is probably the best shallow experience I can think of in the Caribbean.

If you get to feel more comfortable in the water, you can take a ferry over to St. John's. Trunk Bay has an underwater trail that is about 250 yards long, but deeper. Reviews mention it is about 15 feet deep, but you can always get a life vest. We are going to try snorkeling here, because we have heard wonderful things about it, such as "it was the highlight of our cruise." There are markers along the way describing what you are seeing. Of course I can't vouch for that one, but we are excited about experiencing it next week.

We also love Chankanab park in Cozumel. You just walk off the beach (along a sea wall) and you are in maybe 20' of water, with fantastic coral and fish. I heard there is an underwater trail there in another part of the park, but we missed it. That may be more to your liking, for your next cruise (and I know there'll be one!) Good luck! Enjoy snorkeling!

Agree with SunnyMary on St Thomas and Coki Beach. I am a non-swimmer also, and bought a flotation vest. It's really lightweight and packs into a very small space. My friend is new to snorkeling and very fearful. Coki Beach was the first place she felt comfortable enough to snorkel a bit on her own (w/o holding onto me or her husband), as she could see many fish in fairly shallow water. Trunk Bay is also good, but b/c you're in a bit deeper water, it can be murkier if there's been a storm, as was the case when we visited.

Thank you both for your help. It really helps a lot. The other option I came up with was a day sail offered through SailWinifred.com. It really sounded great but I wasn't sure I wanted to devote the entire day in St. Thomas to that. I will check out your suggestions and see if DH and I can come to an agreement. There is just so much to do.

rjscott - I assume I can pick up a flotation vest at any sporting goods store. Any suggestions? I would definitely be more comfortable with a vest.

SJ, on that day sail; if you're thinking abou that, check to see if you snorkel from the beach or from the boat. If you snorkel from the boat, that usually entails jumping into deep water, not something I was able to do easily for quite some time.

As for the flotation vest, I got mine at a dive shop. We have two dive shops in our area in the Midwest, so you should be able to find one near you. Not sure a general sporting goods would have them. Some have snorkel equipment, but not the vests. One tip; my vest has a felt-like backing, which is nicer than just having the rough vinyl/plastic of the vest. Also, look for one which has the tube attached, thru which you can puff air to inflate/deflate as needed for the water conditions and your comfort level in the water.

Again, thanks for you help and suggestions. I did contact the Coki Beach Dive Club yesterday. It looks like for about $30 per person we can rent snorkel equipment, have a brief lesson and snorkel for as long as we like. They also mentioned the waist deep water as an option. Apparently, they offer a discount coupon for Coral World Marine Park too, so I think that is how we will spend our day in St. Thomas. I can't wait!!

By the way, we are in Missouri and there is a dive shop less than a mile from my house. Never been in it but I might give it a try.

We purchased our snorkel equipment. We got ours from Costco for $39. That included mask, snorkel, fins and nice carry bag. We purchased some for our kids at K-mart. They have great sales this time of year. You may want to look into that. We did Saphire Beach in St. Thomas. IT was an $8 each way cab fare and we really enjoyed that. It is a resort with a public beach. Have a Great Trip!!

We purchased our snorkel equipment. We got ours from Costco for $39. That included mask, snorkel, fins and nice carry bag. We purchased some for our kids at K-mart. They have great sales this time of year. You may want to look into that. We did Saphire Beach in St. Thomas. IT was an $8 each way cab fare and we really enjoyed that. It is a resort with a public beach. Have a Great Trip!!

Sounds just like the set we got at Sam's last week - on sale for $15.99. I wasn't sure I wanted to buy it because it is our first cruise and don't know if we can do it or if we would like it. But for $16 you can't go wrong. The snorkle is also the kind that is closed at the top - no water to run back down the tube.

I can't wait to try it and I am grateful for the information about Coki beach.

Archived