Buying Snorkel Set? What to look for?

love4god

I decided to purchase nad bring along snorkel gear for my wife and my first cruise. So I started shopping and I've come across a lot of choices.

We are totally beginners, we snorkeled once about ten years ago in Key West. The water was very rough and my wife had some difficulty, I did ok. This time we'll be on the Eastern Caribbean route.... HMC, Nassau, St Thomas, Tortola.

So what should beginners make sure they buy, but at the same time no break the bank.

Snorkel with a valve on top? Dry snorkel you can submerge with?

Mask with or without a purge valve? Why is silicon better?

Should fins be open or closed?

I just don't know what advantages or disadvantages each item has. We'll be in warm water and we're novices if that helps at all.

Thanks for posting this. I also am interested in finding this information out. I live in a resort town and see everything from those inexpensive snorkels ( $ 3.00 ) on the boardwalk to very expensive stuff.

I live 4 blocks from the Atlantic ocean and the waves are too rough to really use the snorkel gear here so I would only use it on a cruise.

What should we get ?

Do the snorkels that are rented have the valve or are they open?

What is a reasonable price? ( I will buy a mask and snorkel for my hubby and I but think I will rent the fins.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The first question you have to ask yourself, is this going to be a once or twice a year use or regular use with the possibility of progressing to scuba diving. With that in mind, here are my suggestions.

If you are a once or twice a year snorkeler?(just doesn't look right) and are average size and don't need corrective lenses, Sam's Club or similar has a US Divers kit that has fins, mask & snorkle for under $40 that will be adequate.

If you plan on more or advanced use or don't fit into the 'average' sizing......

1) Snorkle - Get a self draining snorkle at the very least. Many Aavilable for under $20.

2) Mask - I personally like the clear silicon masks with a purge valve. Most important is fit. You should be able to put it on your face without the strap and suck in thru your nose and it should stay in place. Also, make sure the nose pocket is big enough because once you get under water the pressure can make the mask press on the end of your nose and it gets rather uncomfortable. If you wear glasses, go to a Dive shop and get a mask that has corrective lenses available. This one thing will make the experience much more enjoyable than any other piece of equipment.

3) Fins- If you plan on Diving at a future date, get open heel fins & booties. If not, closed heel is fine as long as they fit.

Mike

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

Thanks for the advice Mike.

I am a pretty big tall, large guy. Maybe I should go to a dive shop and try a couple masks on.

I was going to buy this set http://www.snorkel-mart.com/files/products/details.cfm?ProductID=51 but then I saw the set at BJ's that you're talking about. I was deciding between the two. I'm just worried about the mask fitting.

My wife expressed some interest in taking a basic diving course and I've always wanted to do it, but she is pregnant so we have to wait until next spring/summer. So maybe I'll spend an extra couple books if what I'm buying can be re-usable.

The mask fit is very important, that is why I put the caveat to avg size on the Sam's set. The Del Sol set is very attractive though for what you get and it looks like decent stuff. When we were in Hawaii last year, we spent more time snorkleling than diving. We would rent a kayak and tether it to one of us so when we spotted an area we wanted to snorkle, we'd just hop off the kayak and explore. To get a top notch set that would be suitable for diving, you'll probably spend $150 - 200 minimum, but it will last for a very long time with proper care, I've had my current setup for going on 10 yrs. so the cost per year use is actually very low. From your situation, I would get a good mask & snorkle and skimp on the fins (don't really need fins for snorkeling, but they help cover more area) and then when you're ready to start diving, get some good fins.

Mike

Yes the purge valve is nice on the snorkel and good advice given thus far about balancing frequency of use with cost. I found the "collapsible" style snorkel to be a waste of money and not durable. I quickly switched over to a conventional snorkel.

I am also a "big" guy (6' 2" and about 240 lbs) and have a big head (my hat size os somethign like 7 5/8 or 7 3/4). I wear glasses and am mildly nearsighted btu had no desire to wear contacts for scuba. I first found out what masks had corrective lenses available and then went to a dive shop to try a few on. The Sub Cressi happened to fit me very well. A

fter much searching for scuba gear discounters on the Internet I began to think none of them were any cheaper than the others until I found Leisure Pro in NYC. They're not cheaper than others on a lot of the peripheral stuff but have really good prices on the bigger name brands in BCD's, fins, snorkels, masks etc.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=Info&Topic=Home&kw=Leisure+pro+scuba

They did NOT stock the corrective lenses - I had to go yto a dive shop to buy those but I still saved about $40 on the mask and $30 or so on the fins.

My mistake was buying big neoprene split fins. They were cool (and expensive at $120 even with a discoutn) but they were too long and heavy for an occasional diver like me. I sold them off on eBay and bought a decent pair of $50 open fins that are lighter, shorter, easier to carry around and easier tomaneuver in.

Phaelon....you brought up a good point on the fins. Too often, novices will get the largest high tech fin for the same reasons you did, I had the same urge but had the advantage that my wife had been diving for 15 years when I started. Besides the extra effort, until you get your mechanics and bouyancy under control, big fins sure do stir up the bottom and destroy visibility. I got slapped in the noggin a few times for that:D

Mike

Phaelon....you brought up a good point on the fins. Too often, novices will get the largest high tech fin for the same reasons you did, I had the same urge but had the advantage that my wife had been diving for 15 years when I started. Besides the extra effort, until you get your mechanics and bouyancy under control, big fins sure do stir up the bottom and destroy visibility. I got slapped in the noggin a few times for that:D

[/url]

Exactly my experience and the "big fins" are also a PITA to carry around - especially when you're only going to use them once or twice for a few hours on a one week trip.

Here's where I put in a plug for "dive skins". I sunburn easily (i.e. if I look out the window on a sunny day I'll get burned!). For about $40 - $45 I bought a full body zip-up suit that covers me from neck to ankle and all the way down to my wrists. It's made of lycra, is extremely light-weight and stretchy and takes up very little space in your bag. I suppose it keeps you a degree or too warmer at depths but the real purpose is to prevent sunburn when you're snorkeling. I put this baby on, slap a little sunblock on my neck and can paddle around all day to snorkel but never get even a hint of sunburn. It's the best diving gear investment I ever made.

Archived