Belize without a tour?

LisaT12

Stay on the ship. Every post I've read on this board, as well as every person I met on the Explorer last week said stay on the ship. They were right. We did the Land Rover 4 X4 tour (see my review on the Belize Board) and LOVED it. Belize is beautiful, but you need a guide to show you.

Has anyone done anything in Belize without a tour? Just curious to know what is out there? Thanks.

Without a tour there is the small area at the pier where you can drink and buy souvenir trinkets. You can rent a taxi and tour Belize City (that is what our table mates did,,,it was cheap, but can't say that they saw much). You can try to get to Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye on your own by water taxi or plane. Good luck with the timing.

The thing with Belize is that there is travel time involved in getting anywhere worth getting. By the time you arrange it, get there, watch your watch to make sure you get back you will have missed the best part.

Take a tour, whatever it is, whether river cruise, snorkeling, tubing, ruins, jungle, it will be money well spent. Belize was the best part of our cruise....loved it!

Su

Our guide in Belize told us that the crime is not bad there. He said to just be smart and don't go any place alone in a dark alley...just common sense stuff. We met people on the ship that had gone around town on there own. They had toured that Pirate House just outside the gate and then walked downtown with no problems at all. It is a poor country but that does not mean that crime is bad. I like the fact that english is the main language there.

Go to Caye Caulker. Really easy to do. With the clock turned back an hour on the ship Belize is still an hour earlier. Get the first tender out & go for it. We did and had a blast. Have a Belikin for me :)

When we were in Belize, we had the best time. When we got to the tender area, we were told that there was an uprising against the government in Belize. It was very interesting.

When were you there?:confused:

Archived