Mandatory Formal Nights. You Decide

I believe that the formal thing is good because it keeps the jeans, shorts, and flip flops out of the dining room. But how I interpret formal as a midwesterner might be totally differrent than someone from New York City, who goes to the opera! I am not going to worry too much about it and will probably wear the same dress twice - horrors!

"...jeans, shorts, and flip flops ..."

On Radisson I do not believe this is a problem on any ship on any casual night. People can look very classy in country club casual and I think Radisson customers have a good idea what that means.

Colleen Farley

mark posted;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> The results suggest that Radisson would make more people happy if they made formal nights optional or just got rid of them and went to a country club casual format.

This would surely translate into increased sales and profit. As I stated on another thread, my wife and I had narrowed our choice between Radisson and another line and the dress code policy was the deciding factor in us going elsewhere. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree. Radisson would lose more cruisers than it would gain. This policy of formal nights has worked for many cruise lines. Right now many cruisers on Crystal, Radisson and Silversea are in the 50-80 years "young" catagory and they still believe that cruising is a "special" experience. They still remember the movies where Cary Grant woos Deborah Kerr on board ship (An Affair To Remember) etc. and feel that dressing formal on a few nights is expected. I believe that right now Radisson is gaining in the industry vis a vis Crystal and Silversea but if it changes its policy and does away with the formal nights it will "turn off" a number of Crystal and Silversea "converts" and some present Rad cruisers would look elsewhere. (a survey of Crystal cruisers would reveal that an abundant majority still favors formal nights)

Maybe in another 10-20 years when the "younger" generation is the "abundant majority" on the luxury cruise lines would this "no formal" policy work.

We cruise on both Rad and Crystal and if Rad changed its policy to terminate formal nights, we would abandon Radisson and look to Crystal and Silversea exlusively ( shortening the number of formal nights accomplishes nothing for the men cause it just means one more formal shirt)

As far as the luggage issue goes, if Rad changes its policy and changes all formal nights to informal, we would still have another suit or sports jacket and tie to bring along unless you enjoy wearing one suit (or sports jacket sans tie) to all of these informal nights. Not me.

So for me it is not a burden at all to "tux up",

but keeping up a long tradition of elegant cruising and enjoying a few special evenings on board where the cuisine, service and entertainment makes one feel very special. (not to mention how beautiful and elegant the ladies look dressed in their finest)

BTW, to not enforce the dress code or make it optional really defeats the purpose of defining what the dress code is in the first place. Can you see some cruisers wearing country club casual ( whatever that is) and others in tuxes? I don't think that would work.

In regard to another post, I am in favor of "informal" dress in one alternate dining venue on formal nights and after dinner those cruisers (if appropriately attired in jacket and tie) should have access anywhere on the ship.

But..... then again, that's what makes horse-racing!

Count us as a vote for country club casual. We especially enjoyed the Navigator dress policy on our cruise to Bermuda and most passengers seemed to appreciate it. Jackets were required on certain nights but ties were optional. Some of us are getting too old to carry all that extra clothing and shoes. I was never comfortable watching a theatre performance in a tux.

I continue to vote for formal nights. I prefer that they be mandatory. To tell the truth, I don't even like the "dark suit will do" concession -- I don't think its that big an imposition to wear a tux. I think one firmal night on a seven night cruise is ok, but don't have a problem with two. I think that formal nights add a tremendous amount to the cruising experience.

I do think there is a difference between caribbean voyages and european, and see nothing wrong with a cruise line opting out of formal nights, but I would pretty much take such a line off of my list.

Count us in as a vote for informal / country club casual only.

(I think I just made med4bike's point, too.) We're early forties, dress for work, and don't like to worry about hauling extra clothing on vacation. Especially when we're doing a land tour before the cruise.

I think med4bike is absolutely correct in his observation. Some of this is generational. I expect that formal nights will pretty much disappear eventually, otherwise they won't be able to fill the ships as their primary market becomes younger baby boomers and the gen x'ers.

Kathy

We also will only cruise if the dress code is informal/country club casual. We are 60 and 65 and spent far too many years in ties, pantyhose, etc., to even think of it on vacation. Ditto for open seating -- will not go if we are forced into a set time/table for dinner.

Given the cost of luxury cruise lines, I really doubt there would be abuses such as tank tops, flip flops, etc. Frankly, most of the people who can afford such cruises are sophisticated enough to know what proper dress is.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree!

I just got back from a cruise on the Diamond, and they had what they termed "Informal" nights, which included jackets for men. I certainly didn't mind doing the jacket thing, but having to wear a tie feels too much like a "work" environment. Anyway, some people came "country club casual", with nice slacks and shirts, and I wore jackets, as did others. And of course some people just had to wear a suit, which of course, was nice. I agree that we should have some standards, and it was surprising how people interpreted country club casual (I personally don't think of chinos and a loud tropical print shirt with deck shoes as country club casual).

When you travel with a tux, especially in this day and time, it is just baggage, which must be accommodated in already bulging luggage for the remainder of the trip (some of us do more than just the cruise). Sure it's really nice and I am all for people dressing up that way. But I just don't think it's well-suited to travel at sea. Black tie New Year's Eve parties are great, but for those events you don't have to keep up with them after the party is over. And really, a lot of the people who did the black tie thing on board tried to be cool (with funky ties/cummerbunds) and they really ended up looking much less dressy than the people who just wore suits or dress jackets.

And honestly, I have to say it is odd to shelve a cruise or cruise line because they don't offer opportunities to dress up. I mean, maybe if that is a need, you ought to really look into doing more charity work so you can don that tux that seems so very important. I mean, a great itinerary, good food and drinks, and great company certainly doesn't mean anything unless you're wearing a tux...I mean, really...

Okay, finally got to learn the new board. I have noticed on Radisson that people really love the country club casual and they are like the informal nights. The formal nights, people are not getting as dressed up as they used to just 3 years ago. Which is great for packing. The country club casual you can wear what you want, one can see dresses to polo shirts. Very nice touch for the line.

Jan

Hey! I just bought a new tux last year just for cruises. Maybe I'm crazy but I sort of get a kick out of dressing up a couple times each cruise - and everyone else looks real great, too. We've been "business casual" at work now for many years, and I have very little use for suits - pretty sure I only own one that actually fits and looks good these days. Also have the obligatory blue sports coat - and that gets used more often. Also, perhaps with the exception of New York, going out in the evening is a much less "formal" affair then it used to be - and I expect that trend to continue on cruise ships. But, more than happy to put on the tux a couple of times over a 10 day cruise! Jeff

Archived