Marquesas Cruise

Hi everyone. Have not been in the market for a cruise for awhile but have been "visitng" everyone and living vicariously through your posts, thank you all!!! Now I have a question: Our 25th anniversary is coming up and we are toying with the idea of a cruise to the Marquesas. Of course the PG one comes to mind first off but am wondering if anyone has ever done the Aranui one or knows of anyone who has. Could you please give input on your experiences on the PG Marquesas cruise? We did a PG cruise in 2002 and thought it was spectacular. Thanks, vai

• 6 months later...
Since I am not sure where to post, I am piggybacking off your post...we are planning for the 2 week PG cruise in September 05. Does anyone have an opinion of doing a btb vs the 2 week PG Marquesas cruise? Regardless of which option we take we will be 14 days in Tahiti--

I have some feedback on the Aranui.
First of all, it was a wonderful experience. I'll start at the beginning.

We found out about it on a previous adventure cruise in Belize. When I investigated, I knew it would be something I would love. And I did.

We actually booked the PG Innugural from S.F. to Papeete, trans-Pacific with lots of stops along the way. Fell in love with PG, our first Radisson ship.

When we disembarked in Papeete, we ferried over to Moorea for 5 nights in a beachfront cabin. Could walk right out the front door and snorkle. The grocery store was right down the path from our home away from home.
Had a very relaxing time even though we had to cook our meals and make our own beds, not like the PG.

After 5 nights, ferried back to Papeete to board the Aranui for our 2 week cruise. It's a very basic ship, very good food, the cabins are nice, they did your laundery twice, I think. There is a small bar area and the crewmen play their ukeleles and sing and dance. Also a small room where they played movies on video. Every day had a briefing/lecture on the next day's activity ashore. In fact, our tour guide's name was Vai. Very informal dress throughout the cruise. Every day when the ship delivers supplies to the Islands, there are complimentary excursions ashore. This can be very exciting as the waves are sometimes very high when we were boarding the boats to go ashore when there were no docks. But the crewmen are always there to assist and we didn't have any mishaps at all. One lady was in her 80s. It is so interesting to watch the crewmen unloading all the supplies onto whale boats then go to shore to unload. Amazing!

Well, I could go on and on. If you want an experience of what Hawaii was like many years ago and like adventure and don't expect the Radisson pampering, I think you will like the Aranui. I'm glad we did both. I would do both again as long as I was in the area.

If you want more info. ,write me. I love to talk cruising.

Happy cruising, Joanne

• 3 weeks later...
We just returned from the Marquesas cruise and it was fabulous. The Marquesas are very interesting and beautiful. Just don't expect sandy beaches and a lot of snorkeling. The islands come right up out of the ocean with spectacular cliffs. The islands are sparsely populated but the people are very welcoming. We got lovely leiis everywhere. As it is very close to the equator, the weather is VERY HOT.
That to me would be the reason for chosing the PG. It was wonderful coming back to a comfortable air-conditioned stateroom. The Aranui was in port one time when we were and I don't think I would be real anxious to sail on it. Maybe if I were 20 but now I like my creature comforts and the PG definitely supplies them.
The Marquesas is a special cruise and we are very happy we had the opportunity to visit the islands and learn about them from the on-board lectures. You'll enjoy it.

Archived