Gaspe (Perce Rock vs Forillon) - Need suggestion

Hello All - We will be visiting Gaspe with NCL in Sept and we're still trying to decide what to do there. We're thinking to rent a car (with Budget) and then drive to either Forillon National Park or Perce Rock, or possibly sign up with the cruiseline's shore excursions, if that's easier. Anyone has any recommendation or feedback between these 2 places? We both love nature, physically fit to do any sort of hiking/walking activities and wondering if we can just visit one, then which one would be the better option. Thanks!

Edited by 2happytx

Hi,

I live in Quebec and I have visited a few times Gaspe.

At low tide you can walk from the shore to the Perce Rock and if you do it quickly you can make it back on "dry" land...or maybe in a couple of feet of water depending of your pace ;)

I did a boat tour that goes very close to the Rock, goes in front of Bonaventure Island and drops you on the Island. It is a BEAUTIFUL hike on a small Island that you share with 100 000 "fous de Bassan" birds. These birds are beautiful and you can get so close to them when you reach a "plateau" where they like to stay. Just this week on the new they said that they are in trouble :mad: , 10 years ago they were reproducing at a 90% rate, 5 years ago it was 30% and 3 years ago it is about 10%...

You can find 4 trails that take between 1,5hr to 3hr to do. ( all 4 lead to the bird colony )

I did not visit Park Forillon, so I could not recommend one over the other...

If you want to say " I walked on the Rock" :) then do it by foot...if you want to see the most of the Perce region, then do the boat tour with the Bonaventure Island trails.

Have fun !

I agree with sebas030, hiking on Bonaventure Island is definitely worth it to see the gannets ("fous the bassans"). Walking to the hole of Roche Perce at low tide is a fave among many Quebecois but expect the water to be very cold for your feet. I know that because the last time I was there, I tried to do it barefeet but turned back (it might have been smarter to wet my shoes...). Mind you I have been spoiled walking in the warm water of the Caribbean.

I have visited Forillon Park. It is a gorgeous park with nice scenery to be seen and some history.

If, for lack of time, I had to choose between seeing the Bonaventure Island with the gannets colony and the Forillon Park, I would go to the Island.

Here is a web site to help you choose between the two (with pictures, travel times, hiking trails etc.)

http://www.cruisesaintlawrence.com/EN/stopovers/cruiselines/10/Gaspesie.aspx

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

:eek:

I agree with sebas030, hiking on Bonaventure Island is definitely worth it to see the gannets ("fous the bassans"). Walking to the hole of Roche Perce at low tide is a fave among many Quebecois but expect the water to be very cold for your feet. I know that because the last time I was there, I tried to do it barefeet but turned back (it might have been smarter to wet my shoes...). Mind you I have been spoiled walking in the warm water of the Caribbean.

I have visited Forillon Park. It is a gorgeous park with nice scenery to be seen and some history.

If, for lack of time, I had to choose between seeing the Bonaventure Island with the gannets colony and the Forillon Park, I would go to the Island.

Here is a web site to help you choose between the two (with pictures, travel times, hiking trails etc.)

http://www.cruisesaintlawrence.com/EN/stopovers/cruiselines/10/Gaspesie.aspx

Last night, I did some reading on Rocher Perce (the rock). Well in 2009 there was a major rock fall, and it has become very dangerous to walk there at low tide.

I phoned the information desk in Perce for more info. The nice lady at the information desk confirmed me this and even told me that at times she can hear rocks falling in the water from the shore. Yikes:eek:

So, to conclude, AVOID walking to the rock at low tide and even more along it to go and visit the hole. You will be able to have a view of the hole from the pier and/or if you take a boat ride.

I think you can't access the Rock on your own anymore.

You have to be with a SEPAC guide by foot or enjoy the visit from the boat that does the excursion along with the Bonaventure Island.

And 660 000 pounds of rock does fall from the Pierce Rock every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Does anyone know if there is transportation, besides car rental, that can take you from the port (where the cruise line docks) to Perce, where several local boats will take you cruising to the island?

Thanks for the warning about walking in low tides :)

Edited by 2happytx

Does anyone know if there is transportation, besides car rental, that can take you from the port (where the cruise line docks) to Perce, where several local boats will take you cruising to the island?

Thanks for the warning about walking in low tides :)

There is a tourist train which does the Gaspe-Perce route on specific dates. Here is the web site:

http://trainamiral.com/en/lamiral/departure-schedule/

In Perce, the train stops at Coin-du-Banc, then you take a 10 minutes bus-shuttle ride to the village of Perce (included in the train ticket price).

I checked the bus schedules (Orleans-Express). They have a bus service once a day which passes through Gaspe. It is not a local bus. They pick up passengers around 13:30 but then the return bus is about the same time. So not convenient...

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser