knee doctor

Lightbulb03

I'm sorry, I don't know of a knee doctor on Oahu, but I wanted to ask about those injections. My mom has arthritis in her knees & has a hard time walking. I know her doctor has mentioned those injections to her, but we don't know anyone who's done them before. Can you tell me about them? Do they really help DH?? If he's going to Hawaii on this cruise, they must keep him mobile!!

Thanks.

Janet

Janet,

They are a synthetic replacement to what should naturally lubricate the joint (ligaments?) but in my husband's case, his joints have very little left because of years and years of carrying around excess weight. He gets them every 4-6 months and feels relief instantly. Otherwise it feels like the bones are grinding.

He waited to long (extremely demanding schedule) to get to the doctor before the cruise, plus the last injections were holding up pretty well. But wouldn't you know a few weeks before the trip the knees start bothering him again.

He's doing this to try to avoid knee replacement which only last 15-20 years. The doctor is trying to get a few more years out of this or he'll have to have the knee replacement again.

I say he's crazy to go to a strange doctor while on vacation. What if it goes wrong and it really messes up his knee. I feel it's too risky, but he wanted to give it a try here on the boards to see if anyone could help. Many have viewed the thread, but as you can see, no response.

Does that mean your husband already had a knee replacement? It sounds as if the synvisc treatment is working for him - I'm going to pass your info on to my mom since this therapy was mentioned to her. If it helps, I'm all for it.

Sounds as if you've got a couple of good people on the job for you. The only thought I had was that perhaps your own doctor could find out where they do the synvisc in Oahu. But I don't know if there is a network for that type of treatment. Or use the web for research! But let's hope that Spleen or Hawaiian Eye come through for you & DH.

Janet:

No to the replacement yet. Doctor told DH he doesn't have info on doctors over there. I'm taking this to email with spleen.

Thanks for your support. Would you like to email?

Spleen:

I'll catch you on email. thanks.

Hawaiian Eye:

Thanks, I'll let you know.

You've all been great!:p

Hi,

I was away from my computer for a couple of days so I'm trying to catch up today. I'm sorry you had no luck finding a doctor yet. With the Internet I believe all things are possible. Having the right connections helps, too.

Sure, emailing would probably be a lot easier!! Sometimes I have a hard time remembering where the heck I posted!!

You can write to me at jkast1@excite.com

Isn't this weather awful? I can hardly stand it here in this computer room, even with the AC on!! The humidity in Hawaii has to be better than this!!

Happy Sunday.

Janet

Hello may I ask what are synvysc injection ??? I have had 5 knee operations and now they are talking Knee replacement. But I am only 42 and they want me older to do that!!!! I have had injections before the Lydocane and cordazone.. Excuse the spelling. Is this the same thing??? I am on Mobic at the moment and it is working pretty good but I'll check out about anything at this moment!!!!

Thank You!!!

Chuck

Hello may I ask what are synvysc injection ??? I have had 5 knee operations and now they are talking Knee replacement. But I am only 42 and they want me older to do that!!!! I have had injections before the Lydocane and cordazone.. Excuse the spelling. Is this the same thing??? I am on Mobic at the moment and it is working pretty good but I'll check out about anything at this moment!!!!

Thank You!!!

Chuck

See post #3 on this thread. It works very well if you aren't allergic to chicken and lasts for 6 months, sometimes less. Ask your doctor about it. DH says it is a cartilidge replacement (synthetic viscous material = Synvysc). It is not the same as what you have mentioned above.

Archived