PoA Dining Package

Jackierabbit

We are n00bs to this forum, cruising and Hawaii. We are booked on a mid September Pride of America ship.

Is the premium dining package worth the $119 pp extra on the Pride of America ship?

If so, what are the best restaurants out of the 7 available?

Are there better times seating times to reserve ahead of time?

I'm thinking that if we set sail most evenings by 6 p.m. but also don't want to miss the sunset, unless there is a view from the restaurants.

What are your experienced opinions?

Thanks!!:D

We are n00bs to this forum, cruising and Hawaii. We are booked on a mid September Pride of America ship.

Is the premium dining package worth the $119 pp extra on the Pride of America ship?

I'm thinking that if we set sail most evenings by 6 p.m. but also don't want to miss the sunset, unless there is a view from the restaurants.

The UDP does not pay for us as we only like to eat at the specialties 2 or 3 times during a cruise and it is just less $ to pay as we go. Our favorites are Cagneys, Le Bistro and Moderno. Many people love the Teppanyaki, which is as you said, a group seating. No problem if you are alone. They will seat you with another group.

When considering whether to buy the UDP, keep in mind there are two overnights on the cruise. We plan to eat ashore those nights. There are many places ashore to get a fantastic meal with a sunset view. Seems a shame to go back to the ship early just for dinner.

Especially since you a new to cruising, I wouldn't recommend the dining package because this way you can explore some of the ship's included dining options, which would all be new to you, and are varied enough!

I would definitely recommend going to Cagney's one night for steak. Unbelievably delicious - some of the best steak I've ever had.

In terms of reservations, it seems like Teppanyaki always is the first to be completely booked. I haven't had a problem reserving the other places the morning of, or even just walking in without a reservation, if I saw there was availability (which they broadcast to your room, regarding each specialty restaurant and times).

We're on the sailing right before yours... and we passed on the UDP. Perhaps we'd consider the package on a less port-intensive itinerary with a few sea days, but we're anticipating a couple of evenings (1st day in Maui & 1st day on Kauai) that we may get back to the ship later than normal due to the overnight stays... on those days we'll probably opt for a quick bite in the buffet or the diner, which are both already included.

As far as our favorite specialty restaurants are concerned... we enjoyed Cagney's and Moderno the most. If you try the Asian restaurant, order several appetizers and one entrée to share & don't forget to save room for their version of Crème Brule. Personally, we skip Teppanyaki; we have several teppan grill restaurants to chose from at home and we weren't that impressed with the one on the Pearl. We did have an anniversary dinner at LeBistro which was also very good... especially their cream of mushroom soup.

I would definitely do the chef's table again... but on a different itinerary.

Bon apetit

Edited by azappraiser

• 9 months later...

Quick question to all you NCL vets out there: When you purchase the dining package does that allow you to eat there for breaky and lunch as well or only supper? Also, can you give me any guidance as to which nights to pick certain restaurants (ie Cagney's for lobster or the tepanyaki place, as my 7 year old would love that)?

THANK YOU!

Quick question to all you NCL vets out there: When you purchase the dining package does that allow you to eat there for breaky and lunch as well or only supper? Also, can you give me any guidance as to which nights to pick certain restaurants (ie Cagney's for lobster or the tepanyaki place, as my 7 year old would love that)?

THANK YOU!

We only eat at the specialty restaurants and yes it is well worth the money.

It is the only reason we continue to cruise with NCL. I could eat at the trough with the others when I see some of the behavior when it comes to food handling etc.

The extra service/ pampering is well worth it.

I think lobster you will to pay extra at Cagneys but not sure.

Our favs are LeBistro, Cagney's but not for steak we get better steaks at LeBistro. Moderno for their salad bar. La Cucinca for chick parma and Osso Buco. There are lots to mix a week up.

Thirty plus cruises and counting all with NCL.

We had the UDP on our POA cruise 2 weeks ago. This was one of the perks we got when we booked the cruise, so we did not pay extra for it. We ended up eating in Cagney's 3x, Jefferson's Bistro 2x, La Cucina once and Teppanyaki once.

In hindsight, I would have done Cagney's once or twice, the Bistro once, and La Cucina once. I wish we had tried one of the main dining rooms, as many nights we thought the menus looked good. We never tried the buffet. Since we had a suite, we were able to have breakfast in Cagney's.

On our sailing, the specialities were booked solid every night. Prior to the cruise, we were asked a few times if we'd like to trade our UDP for some other perk, but we didn't. We also had a note in our cabin the first day giving us the opportunity to trade perks. So they knew that they had oversold the UDP on this sailing. I do not know if that will be the case for other sailings.

If you are on the POA, Wednesday night (Kona port) is the day you want to book Cagney's or the Bistro if you want lobster. They bring in live lobsters, and they are an additional charge of $10, even with the UDP. But it was definitely worth it.