Dress Code - Pls just helpful responses

uilleann

I really don't believe all this.

Have you seen the sort of stuff the crew carry back to the ship at the bigger ports, seen the names on the bags? I don't think any steward would be much pleased to find a "previously owned" set of clothes waiting for him on disembarkation morning.

Room stewards are there to help. Simply ask if he or she can dispose of the unwanted clothing. A little extra tip would help as well.

I think some are getting carried away somewhat.

David.

Sorry......but that made me laugh out loud.
Thank you,

However I was (almost) quoting from this British sitcom from the 70s "The Good Life". "Fast forward" to about 3 minutes into this clip:

:)

Edited by pepperrn

I was curious about this suggestion as well.

I'm from the UK and have not heard, over here, of leaving unwanted/dirty/grubby/torn/worn/wrong size clothes for the room cleaner.

Or dumping them on the Front Desk as you "check-out"... "this is cheap, nasty and in very poor taste, so I thought you'd like it"...

Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing this sort of thing? Maybe someone with inside knowledge of the Motel/Hotel/Cruise industry would care to comment? I think it an appalling and demeaning idea, but am willing to be corrected.

This is thread and other clothing threads always seem border on the ridiculous after a few posts. The OP was given a suggestion to go to Goodwill and buy a serviceable second hand suit, shirts and ties to meet the formal/casual dress codes on the ship. Not the first time I have read this. Not a bad idea really, if one doesn't want to spend hundreds of dollars getting clothes they won't wear after the cruise.

Yet the suggestion to ask the steward to see if anyone has a use for the same clothes that the OP has worn to meet the dress code on one of the Queen's is met with above comments about said clothes. These are the same clothes nice enough to satisfy the sensibilities of the passengers wanting the dress code up held, but not nice enough to offer to the crew???? Really???

And yes, some luxury lines we have sail with even suggest that you donate things you don't want to take home. Hopefully, if we are able to enjoy some of the special things in life, we have enough common sense to clean the clothes before offering to some one else!

uilleann

We will be doing two longer cruises on two of the Queens this next year. We have been cruising since 1984 and have done wonderful cruises with Cunard, but we aren't real fans of the sticker dress code. Cunard happens to have ships going where we want to go when we want to go there. A black dress and the dark jacket and matching slacks will be fine.

A picture is usually worth a thousand words....read though a longish thread that may have fallen off the first page now, but it is something " live first time on the Q E written by a budding young photographer. Look at her pictures around the ship on the formal nights and, if you look closely, you will see tux, dark suits for sure, but also dark sport coats and slacks (slacks not necessarily the same color) including several brown coat and slacks combos in the bar areas and the theater. Everyone looks nice, is mixing and seemly having a good time as I am sure you will also.

Happy Sailing!

Thank you Salacia,

I'm also not trying to be difficult, and am honestly trying to see your point of view, and I value those views :) . OK, I'll imagine... I'm on a long cruise, bought far too many gifts, no room for everything. I think what I'd do, in these exceptional circumstances (I'm afraid I'm one of those nerds who makes certain there is spare room for gifts in cases when leaving home) is to speak to the steward the day before the last and ask him/her what he/she would like me to do. Just leave things for after I've vacated the cabin, or does he/she want them now? I'd make certain that all was cleaned/washed.

How's that for a compromise between our different points of view? :) ;) :)

Best wishes.

Pepper, I think that's a great suggestion. Except that many passengers don't pack until the evening before disembarkation, so they might not know what will and will not fit in their luggage until then. And I agree that it is certainly preferred that whatever is left behind has been dry cleaned/laundered, and that would require a day or two for the items to be returned. So your suggestion would work well for anyone who packs days in advance of disembarkation or has already decided to leave certain garments behind - but not for those who pack the evening before disembarkation and has to make some hard decisions if everything won't fit in the luggage.

My suggestion was: "... saying (or leaving a note for the steward) something to the effect of "I don't want take this with me at disembarkation. Would you please do with it what you think best? Thanks."

Yours suggestion: "speak to the steward the day before the last and ask him/her what he/she would like me to do. Just leave things for after I've vacated the cabin, or does he/she want them now? I'd make certain that all was cleaned/washed."

I thing your suggestion is excellent, while still seeing nothing rude or insulting in my suggestion - but we seem to be considering two different scenarios. Since both of has said we've never left clothes behind after a voyage, our difference of opinion is purely academic anyway. Nothing personal :D Cheers, -S

you will see tux, dark suits for sure, but also dark sport coats and slacks (slacks not necessarily the same color) including several brown coat and slacks combos in the bar areas and the theater.

The later of which of course do not meet the definition of "formal".

Let's not encourage a further donwgrade of the experience.

Indeed the OP got some good advice.

Happy Sailing!

Whenever I leave a hotel/cruise etc I make sure anything I don't want goes in the bin, or at least on top of the bin if it's too big to fit in. That way there is no misunderstanding that you left something behind by mistake. Simples.

As you rightly say, simples!

This is thread and other clothing threads always seem border on the ridiculous after a few posts. The OP was given a suggestion to go to Goodwill and buy a serviceable second hand suit, shirts and ties to meet the formal/casual dress codes on the ship. Not the first time I have read this. Not a bad idea really, if one doesn't want to spend hundreds of dollars getting clothes they won't wear after the cruise.

Yet the suggestion to ask the steward to see if anyone has a use for the same clothes that the OP has worn to meet the dress code on one of the Queen's is met with above comments about said clothes. These are the same clothes nice enough to satisfy the sensibilities of the passengers wanting the dress code up held, but not nice enough to offer to the crew???? Really???

And yes, some luxury lines we have sail with even suggest that you donate things you don't want to take home. Hopefully, if we are able to enjoy some of the special things in life, we have enough common sense to clean the clothes before offering to some one else!

uilleann

We will be doing two longer cruises on two of the Queens this next year. We have been cruising since 1984 and have done wonderful cruises with Cunard, but we aren't real fans of the sticker dress code. Cunard happens to have ships going where we want to go when we want to go there. A black dress and the dark jacket and matching slacks will be fine.

A picture is usually worth a thousand words....read though a longish thread that may have fallen off the first page now, but it is something " live first time on the Q E written by a budding young photographer. Look at her pictures around the ship on the formal nights and, if you look closely, you will see tux, dark suits for sure, but also dark sport coats and slacks (slacks not necessarily the same color) including several brown coat and slacks combos in the bar areas and the theater. Everyone looks nice, is mixing and seemly having a good time as I am sure you will also.

Happy Sailing!

Thanks for the post. I checked out the long QE posting... OMG. They took pictures of EVERYTHING. Pretty helpful for me. I saw pictures of jeans during the day. Not a lot but several. I saw Light colored jackets with pants that did not match. Not sure if that was a formal night. But I saw another pic where most of the men are in tuxes and dark suits but some are in navy blue sports jackets and kaki colored pants. And it looked like a formal night. Saw one guy with a red and white striped shirt and bow tie... no jacket and it looked like a formal night. Although when I worked we used to say that you wore your jacket portal to portal. Once the meeting started everyone takes off their jackets. When the meeting was over with jackets on. I tell you.... the silly rules that we put on ourselves.

Thanks for the reference to the other post

Thanks for the post. I checked out the long QE posting... OMG. They took pictures of EVERYTHING. Pretty helpful for me. I saw pictures of jeans during the day. Not a lot but several. I saw Light colored jackets with pants that did not match. Not sure if that was a formal night. But I saw another pic where most of the men are in tuxes and dark suits but some are in navy blue sports jackets and kaki colored pants. And it looked like a formal night. Saw one guy with a red and white striped shirt and bow tie... no jacket and it looked like a formal night. Although when I worked we used to say that you wore your jacket portal to portal. Once the meeting started everyone takes off their jackets. When the meeting was over with jackets on. I tell you.... the silly rules that we put on ourselves.

Thanks for the reference to the other post

You are welcome. I was following that thread just because of the pictures......and you are right!!! But I found it really helpful to get a feel for current ship board life.

We haven't been on a Cunard ship in a long time and DH hasn't worn a suit or a tux in 10 years or more. He usually takes a dark sports coat and nice slacks on cruises now, but he may go ahead and get a dark charcoal grey suit for our up coming cruises as that will mix/match nicely and the dress code does say dinner jacket, tux or dark suit! Enjoy your cruise.

Whenever I leave a hotel/cruise etc I make sure anything I don't want goes in the bin, or at least on top of the bin if it's too big to fit in. That way there is no misunderstanding that you left something behind by mistake. Simples.

I agree with you and other posters who have stated that garbage/refuse, should be placed in or adjacent to the bin a/k/a, garbage can, refuse bucket, waste can, etc. I can't imagine that cabin stewards or the cleaning crew would interpret such items as anything other than trash. No doubt they have either the time or inclination to sort through garbage.

But I have heard of passengers leaving perfectly good tuxedos, gowns, jackets, etc. that are not trash, but rather gently used items that might serve a further purpose to others. And those passengers might elect to find a more useful way of parting with those items rather than placing those items in a trash can, or close proximity thereof.

"Simples"? Yes, I suppose it is, from a certain perspective. -S.

But I have heard of passengers leaving perfectly good tuxedos, gowns, jackets, etc. that are not trash, but rather gently used items that might serve a further purpose to others. And those passengers might elect to find a more useful way of parting with those items rather than placing those items in a trash can, or close proximity thereof.

Perhaps one of the shops could be turned into a vintage/preloved clothing store that could on-sell those items. But then of course one would run the risk of being seen in (someone else's) last year's ball gown. hmmm.

I do applaud the OP for deciding to 'go with the flow' though.