Used the car ferry to St. John (Sunday, Aug. 10th) Trunk Bay Beach day

BigJon

Took the car ferry to St. John today. It was $50 round trip. As we entered the area to get on the barge, we also had to pay $3 (there was a small guard house there). We timed it well (by accident), and they were loading the ship when we got there. So I pulled in front of the ship, and backed the car in to a spot. It was really tight, as they were getting all the vehicles in they could. I took this picture as we left the port area of St. Thomas.....ndoh0i.jpg

I got out of the car, and went to the 3rd level of the ship, and took in the views. The water got a little choppy as we got closer to St. John, and there were some large splashes near the front of the ship. I noticed one car turned on his windshield wipers, from the spray of the ocean. Once we got off at St. John, we drove toward Trunk Bay. We got to the overlook at Trunk Bay, and I took this photo....

295wp6g.jpg

We parked at Trunk Bay, and paid $4 per person to enter.....

4l6p39.jpg

After you pay, you turn left, and walk toward the beach. You will pass right by the showers, and bathrooms. Past the showers and bathrooms, to the right, is a building where you can rent snorkel equipment, and beach chairs. The beach chairs were $8, and a plastic lounger was $10. The snorkel equipment was $6 (I think?). They needed my credit card, and took off a $75 deposit. That slip of paper was given back to me when I returned the chairs and snorkel gear. Right beside of the rental building, was the snack bar. We ordered a virgin pina colada ($7), and a virgin mango smoothie ($7), fries ($3) and a bacon cheeseburger ($10). We went out to the beach, and it was beautiful. You really don't need an umbrella, when you're ready to get out of the sun, just move back under a tree. That's what we did, but, if there is a cruise ship in, that may not be possible. But today, there was room under the trees, unless you got to Trunk Bay around noon, or after....

j792rp.jpg

I went out to the underwater snorkel trail, and it was great. They have 3 floats in the water, and the map (as you approach the beach area) lets you know which one to start with, and which one will be the last one. The coral and the fish were so neat to see, and the water was very clear. I am not an experienced snorkeler, and I've only snorkeled at Disney's private island a couple of times. But this was so much better, it didn't even compare to the snorkeling area at Disney's island. If you go, make sure you check out the snorkeling area....28ltouc.jpg

Next stop.....a great view of Tortola

After we left Trunk Bay, we drove to the Annaberg Sugar Plantation ruins. Just beside the ruins, was a great view of Tortola in the distance. Close up, you can see Waterlemon Cay....

vgpvsp.jpg

We walked thru the Plantation ruins, which were built around the end of the 1700's (I think?).....2name8l.jpg

We took the road that went toward the east end of the island, and then turned around and went back to town. We stopped at Mongoose Junction, which is a really cool shopping, and dining area, and ate dinner there, and then went back to catch the car ferry to St. Thomas. Trunk Bay was awesome. Would love to go back someday....jonathan

After we left Trunk Bay, we drove to the Annaberg Sugar Plantation ruins. Just beside the ruins, was a great view of Tortola in the distance. Close up, you can see Waterlemon Cay....

vgpvsp.jpg

We walked thru the Plantation ruins, which were built around the end of the 1700's (I think?).....2name8l.jpg

We took the road that went toward the east end of the island, and then turned around and went back to town. We stopped at Mongoose Junction, which is a really cool shopping, and dining area, and ate dinner there, and then went back to catch the car ferry to St. Thomas. Trunk Bay was awesome. Would love to go back someday....jonathan

Thanks so much for posting these awesome pictures! I am traveling to St. John in late October and have never been before. I am not an experienced snorkeler but really am wanting to try. My boyfriend & I have been trying to decide which beach on St. John is best. Thanks for the review!