PG evening attire

We leave in a week for our PG cruise of FP, which means I am beginning the packing process. I know the cruise is very casual, and there are no formal nights. But how casual is PG casual? Can I wear a casual skirt outfit and my husband wear bermuda or walking shorts and a short sleeved button down to dinner? Or must he wear slacks? It is already getting hot in Texas - so I am focusing on being keeping cool in shorts and short-skirts. I might need to re-focus for FP. Thanks for the help!

No shorts allowed at dinner.

Button down shirts Fine

Polo's Fine

Docker style slacks Fine

Casual dress slacks Fine

Sun Dresses Fine

Ladies slacks Fine.

Casual skirts Fine

No shorts, jeans etc.

PS

Please go to Question on Baggage posted by Critter located down the list of questions.

Follow it and you will be in great shape.

Hey, Suz - I just finished my firs "re-pack." Won't be able to do just a carry-on icon_frown.gificon_mad.gif

Oh, well - at least it's a small suitcase. Too many toys (snorkle/mask/iPod/speakers/floatie-thingy/pareo/books/camera/computer/satellite dish/50"plasmaTV/motorhome...).

Getting very excited (except for that root canal I had this morning that took 4 hours icon_biggrin.gif)!!!

Are you planning on trying to get an upgraade at the Air Tahiti Nui counter in LAX? If so, what time are you getting there? I think the counter opens at 1:00pm...

Phil

upcoming:

Radisson Gauguin, 29 May and 11 Sept 2004

HAL Westerdam 13 & 20 Feb '05

Did you pack a cheap air mattress to use in Bora Bora if you decide to go to the free beach day there? Really does come in handy since there are no chairs, plus it was fun to just float around on with your snorkle mask on.

Phil:

Do you have a reason for taking your own snorkle gear?

What they furnish you on the PG was very good equipment. You check it out on Sunday afternoon and return it Friday afternoon. Lots of different sizes etc.

Hi Phil!

Very sorry to hear that you won't be doing just the carry-on for 2 reasons. I figured that would be a good way to pick you out of the crowd at the airport and I was interested in seeing the transformation over the week of that one T-shirt you were going to bring. icon_wink.gif

We are hoping to pack together in one large rollerboard. We'll see if that will work. Love the idea of the raft, Jim B. So that will add to the packing materials. RSSC provides flippers and masks to use for the week - do they not? Visions of 3 suitcases are popping into my head. icon_eek.gif

Our flight arrives at LAX at 1:00. So we'll see what will happen with the upgrade. This is one I am really torn about. Tons of folks on this board have said good things about coach (as good as you can say about coach) - and it would save us mucho denero to stay in coach. The big decision for me is 1) are we wedged in the middle of a 4 person row and 2) are there movie screens at each seat. I think we are in a 4 person row right now - but on the end. Would rather be on the 2 person side so the only person my fidgeting is annoying is my husband. icon_biggrin.gif If the seat has a powerport for my DVD player - I can probably be entertained in coach. Otherwise - my husband will want to go for the upgrade so he doesn't have to play cards with me for 5 hours after my DVD battery dies. What seat are you in and how are you at crazy 8's? icon_wink.gif

I assume you are going for the upgrade. My TA just checked with ATN and they still had availability for upgrades.

I am so excited! I should be on vacation this week also - because I am useless at work!!!

Still don't have our travel docs. Not too worried yet, my TA is supposed to be on it. I am worried about how useless I'll be once I get the docs and can start thinking about excursions!

Go to ATN web page.

You can actually check out the seating arrangements of the plane. Look down the left hand side of the page.

ATN is 2 - 4 - 2 seating which is wonderful.

Nobody is stuck in a middle seat having to climb over 3 people.

Yes there is a video screen in front of each seat. There is 3 movies. They all start at the same time so you can watch them one at a time.

The food is better than normal.

Can't tell you anything about powerport.

Yes they furnish you full snorkle gear. When you go down to get it a knowledgeble person helps you get fitted, put it in a nylon mesh sack, check your cabin number, and away you go. Remember there is no charge for the equipment. (Just

Just another reason to cruise RSSC)

Do you fly into LAX on Friday or Saturday?

We actually fly into LAX on Tuesday - we are doing a pre-cruise in Bora Bora. Do all of the planes now have the video screens? I had heard some posters say they were on planes not equiped with them. But those might have been old posts. If I am not wedged in the middle and I have my own entertainment system....... Saving money is sounding pretty good right about now.

Thanks for the tip about bringing a raft - any other words of wisdom?

Did you get my note about 12 ft extention cord if you prefer to use the furnished hair dryer in the bathroom instead of dressing table?

Have you told your TA what you would like for your cabin bar set up when you arrive?

I asked for Crown Royal. Wife asked for Grey Goose. Because it being premium we only got one. (Crown Royal).

To my knowledge all the ATN flights out of LAX have the seperate video screens.

Look for a really cheap blow up matress or raft. Check Walmart KMart maybe Toys R Us.

Make sure it is easy to blow up!!!!

Good point about making the air mattress easy to blow up! I wouldn't want my husband to faint. icon_wink.gif

Haven't told the TA what we wanted for our bar set up. Although that has become a majoy topic of conversation over drinks with our friends. "If you could pick any 2 bottle of alcohol for a week long cruise....." How do you know what they consider premium and what they consider call brands?

Thanks for all the great tips!

No powerports on the ATN flights. It's one of the reasons we opted to upgrade to business class.

I have flown all around the world and have to say that our business class seats were totally worth their cost (and we booked in advance!) - it was like sitting in a super comfortable recliner and having people bring you wonderful food, drinks and pretty much anything you can think of (socks, ear plugs, eye mask, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.).

Another thing you might consider bringing is a small CD or cassette clock radio. The radio is really not useful, but it's nice to have music in the cabin (along with a clock!).

We bought cheap rafts at a local pool supply store and just left them behind. We also bought cheap water shoes at WalMart and discarded them after the week cruise.

I'm so jealous! Have a great time!

<HR>

10/01 - Costa Classica (Italy and Greek Islands)

03/02 - Celebrity Infinity (Caribbean)

03/04 - Paul Gauguin (French Polynesia) - PARADISE!

Man, I want to go back with you. And I've only been home 46 hours!

I overpacked: didn't need any daytime clothes except swim things, pareos, and one pair of shorts for hiking; ship's library and paperback exchange are more than adequate; shot less film and used fewer lenses than I expected; found the blow-up floatie was a pain and kept me too far from the fish (but it DID cause comment and conversation).

I'm so grateful I had: the iPod with headphones and speakers, combo clock/flashlight, guidebooks and journal, sunscreen in numerous SPF (nearly a bottle a day, honest!), both baseball cap and straw hat.

Unsolicited advice: upon arrival at Faaa airport, change all the TX you think you'll need; eat poisson cru at every opportunity; wear flowers; notice the islands' many wonderful smells; enjoy every moment!

Cerinda

Glad you mentioned the iPod - just got mine, with the A/L speaker set - so neat. Was going to take snorkle and mask because of the pre-cruise stay on Bora. I'm still waffling about the air mat - the decent size ones are rather bulky.

Phil

upcoming:

Do any of you remember the lettering for the seats on Air Tahiti Nui coach? I can tell from their website that the seats are 2-4-2 but no lettering or numbering that I can see. I'm wondering where K&L are located. We're in row 19 on our way over and row 21 on our way back.

Thanks to anyone who can answer this question.

Phil,

I wouldn't want to use anybody else's mask and snorkel, but I'm a priss.

And the inMotion/iPod is well worth its weight and bulk! We loaded in excess of five days of music, including the Crosby, Stills, and Nash Southern Cross[/i.] Actually ended up listening to a lot of Handel and Miles Davis - they just seemed to fit.

K & L are on the right side of thaircrat as you face the front. 2 seats by them selves, one is aisle, one window. Both 19 & 21 are over the wing. for more info see ATN seat layout

on the Air Tahiti Nui website: ATN

Phil

upcoming:

Now I am totally torn about a lot of things:

raft - could be great to have on the pre-cruise and would use it on the motu days - but is it worth the weight?

upgrade - we always fly business class - but we always use miles to upgrade. We already sprang for the upgrade on the cabin (class b) and the OWB for the pre-cruise. Should we just get totally insane and do the upgrade or be responsible and sit in coach.

Our documents should be arriving at our house right now. Kinda late when we leave in less than a week, huh? I can't control myself - I am going to have to leave work to go get them to see where our seats are with Phil's nifty seating chart and to read about the excursions. RSSC hasn't had them listed this entire time and it is killing me!!!

Question for Cerinda,

I want to make sure I don't overpack - or underdress. Since you just got back, what were women wearing to dinner in the evening? Would mini-skirts (not that mini!) casual capris and tops be okay - or should I step it up a notch? I want to bring just what I need - no more and no less.

Thanks in advance for the help!

SuzCruise,

Minis and SMART capris would be perfect. Saw a lot of sweet little sundresses, no dinner dresses per se. Lots of black silk trousers and capris with elegant woven silk tank tops. Lots of lovely bare skin, no tees. Didn't need a wrap in L'Etoile; Apicus and the Grand Salon were chilly; La Palette was open to the out-of-doors.

ATN's cattle class is entirely tolerable, by the way; neither of us regretted NOT buying the upgrade. The only glitch is that the RSSC/Tahiti Nui transfer from the Beachcomber arrived well after 8 to check in for a 10pm departure: you might want to take a taxi at 7 and avoid the mob.

Ask anything else you wish: it'll take me a few days to write a trip report.

Cerinda

Thanks, Phil. I had not enlarged the diagram enough to realize that there were actually readable rows and letters on it. We have now saved the picture for all future reference. I also telephoned Air Tahiti Nui and was able to change seat assignments to A&B a few rows back. I have arthritis in my right knee and therefore I need more "wiggle room" for that leg. Being able to extend that leg forward makes a lot of difference (comfort wise) to me on a long flight.

SuzCruise - I know that a lot of people talk about the float or raft; but like you we will be taking an intra island flight where the weight limits are stricter. We will not be taking any raft or float. We do take our own prescription lens masks and snorkels but will depend on the PG and Manihi Pearl for fins. Our TA (who in her own words claims to be a princess) says that she has been perfectly comfortable on the Bora Bora motu with just a beach towel to sit on.

Kathy Z

When is your flight? We are in 23 F&G next Tuesday and I just called to see if we could move to A&B or K&L anywhere and was told they are all full and we can't move. Just wondering.

Cerinda,

You said ask all the questions we want, so...

Which excursions did you do and what did you think of them? Any other advice. I made notes of your unsolicited advice and am eager for more. Any hidden treasures on the islands, or for that matter the ship? Advice on what not to miss and what to skip?

Thanks for the tips on dress. I think I need to unpack some of my more casual outfits and add a few more dressy ones. Sounds like I'll be in my swimsuit all day everyday and then dressing up a bit in the evenings. And thanks for the sunscreen tip. I will definitely go get more!

SuzCruise,

Hop over to the new "recent PG excursions" thread for that information. Here are a few various and assorted...

Don't miss: watching the Children of Raiatea and O Tahiti E! dance performances; catching Hal Fraser's piano act in La Palette; watching the ship sail into Cook's Bay on Moorea from the pool deck or sun deck; seeing as many sunsets and sunrises (almost exactly 5:30 am and pm) as you possibly can; finding the Southern Cross, the Milky Way, and Orion (hint: he's tipped on his side); eating Moorea pineapple; drinking Tahitian liqueurs (Ava Tea) with local juice (Rotui).

What to skip? Hmmm... I skipped the desserts in favor of the cheese courses, skipped the exercise classes in favor of the gym and shoreside walks, and skipped the production shows in favor of romance and conversation in La Palette.

Not-so-hidden treasures on the islands: le Marche in Papeete before 10am Saturday morning; the Friday night show of Les Grands Ballets Tahiti (or is it "Tahitiennes"?) at the Tahiti Beachcomber; RSSC's rented motu off Bora Bora; marae Taputapuatea in Raiatea; the omnipresent smell of tiare and copra and salt water; the skies, the skies, the Polynesian skies.

Cerinda

SuzCruise - We are not traveling until August. Our TA emailed us our flight information yesterday when we were completing forms for our final payment. We won't have our travel documents in hand until a few weeks prior to our trip. I am so fortunate that our TA works this way since we were able to make some corrections to the air schedule at this early date.

Archived