Need help planning, packing

dogchopper

I am trying to pack for my quickly approaching cruise (sept 6th) on the Divina and I had thought I had an itinerary for it but it seems I have one for the wrong cruise.. I'm going on the one that goes to st. marten and San Juan ...

What I need to know is.. What night each of the theme night parties is on, and what nights are gala nights. I can find on msc only the basic itinerary so I know where I'll be on each day.. Could use a bit more info for wardrobe planning ..

Thanks

Edited by dogchopper

I am trying to pack for my quickly approaching cruise (sept 6th) on the Divina and I had thought I had an itinerary for it but it seems I have one for the wrong cruise.. I'm going on the one that goes to st. marten and San Juan ...

What I need to know is.. What night each of the theme night parties is on, and what nights are gala nights. I can find on msc only the basic itinerary so I know where I'll be on each day.. Could use a bit more info for wardrobe planning ..

Thanks

Dog,,,we are doing this itinerary in just over a week now. I was told by my pvc that the Gala nights will be on the second night(Sunday) and the 6th night(Thursday). As far as the theme parties,,not sure yet,,but I can let you know in a couple of weeks or perhaps someone who is sailing this itinerary this week will post a review or be able to answer that question for you.:)

Dog,,,we are doing this itinerary in just over a week now. I was told by my pvc that the Gala nights will be on the second night(Sunday) and the 6th night(Thursday). As far as the theme parties,,not sure yet,,but I can let you know in a couple of weeks or perhaps someone who is sailing this itinerary this week will post a review or be able to answer that question for you.:)

Thanks that helps me start :)

Enjoy your cruise!!

Thanks

Mike is right gala nights are Sun & Thur but the theme parties can vary because of weather.

Oh... That isn't good.. How to plan for this......

I'm not sure why that is a problem? If you know you are having 2gala nights and 3 theme nights does it matter which day they are on if you have packed for them?

I only ever bother taking stuff for the 2 formal nights any away. Mostly it is the second and second last night but if they switch, I still have 2 formal outfits with me.

I'm not sure why that is a problem? If you know you are having 2gala nights and 3 theme nights does it matter which day they are on if you have packed for them?

I only ever bother taking stuff for the 2 formal nights any away. Mostly it is the second and second last night but if they switch, I still have 2 formal outfits with me.

It's not a huge problem, but I usually plan what I wear daily, like on sea days I try to wear some thing I can wear all day and wear to dinner.. So, if there is a theme party that day I'd like to know so I can wear the clothes all day instead of changing for the party.

Like I said not a huge deal but it makes planning my clothes a bit harder..:eek:

It's not a huge problem, but I usually plan what I wear daily, like on sea days I try to wear some thing I can wear all day and wear to dinner.. So, if there is a theme party that day I'd like to know so I can wear the clothes all day instead of changing for the party.

Like I said not a huge deal but it makes planning my clothes a bit harder..:eek:

Ah right, sorry didn't think of that. I never wear the same clothes to dinner than I wear duringnthe day. Guess it's that old world, old fashioned dressing for dinner mindset crossed with me being a bit of a slitter!

As riclop says, you will find out the next day the recommended dress code for the following evening. A lot do observe the gala nights, dressing smarter especially if they are eating in the MDR. It could be different on the Divina US sailings, but on other ships not many seem to observe the other theme nights (apart from my good friend Tim, that went to the effort of turning his hair green for Italian night!)

EDIT: Slitter is a Scottish term for someone prone to spilling stuff on themselves!

Edited by AmoMondo

I usually have three changes of clothes a day on a cruise - and I am a man!

I split how to dress into 'MDR breakfast', 'daytime', Jacuzzi' and 'evening' and pack accordingly. I always wear a suit in the evening as it is the easiest and most versatile thing a man can pack. A suit can be dressed up or down. In many ways, we have it easy.

I am not sure about the Divina but the rest of the fleet seem to have an 'Italian night' which catches most out. Think colours of the Italian flag.

'White' or 'black and white' night is an easier one. On gala nights the staff are usually far smarter than the guests - even the photographers and shop assistants, not employees of the line, will be in full black tie.

Ah right, sorry didn't think of that. I never wear the same clothes to dinner than I wear duringnthe day. Guess it's that old world, old fashioned dressing for dinner mindset crossed with me being a bit of a slitter!

As riclop says, you will find out the next day the recommended dress code for the following evening. A lot do observe the gala nights, dressing smarter especially if they are eating in the MDR. It could be different on the Divina US sailings, but on other ships not many seem to observe the other theme nights (apart from my good friend Tim, that went to the effort of turning his hair green for Italian night!)

EDIT: Slitter is a Scottish term for someone prone to spilling stuff on themselves!

I usually have three changes of clothes a day on a cruise - and I am a man!

I split how to dress into 'MDR breakfast', 'daytime', Jacuzzi' and 'evening' and pack accordingly. I always wear a suit in the evening as it is the easiest and most versatile thing a man can pack. A suit can be dressed up or down. In many ways, we have it easy.

I am not sure about the Divina but the rest of the fleet seem to have an 'Italian night' which catches most out. Think colours of the Italian flag.

'White' or 'black and white' night is an easier one. On gala nights the staff are usually far smarter than the guests - even the photographers and shop

assistants, not employees of the line, will be in full black tie.

I guess for me, I just try to avoid bringing a huge amount of luggage. I try to keep it as small as possible just so we have less in our car and it makes it easier in the room cuz so many rooms are small and cramming a lot of clothes in a small room is never fun.

I usually dress pretty nice on sea days is I don't have it change, (a skirt and comfy blouse) .. On days im off the ship I will always change for dinner because I dress much mire casual for that type of day. Husband is easier.. Men are, he will put on dress pants and a polo or comfy dress shirt at night no problem, but on sea days he will too wear the polo or dress shirt all day and just change into pants.

I will just have to work around it and hope I can dress for at least some of the parties..

I guess for me, I just try to avoid bringing a huge amount of luggage. I try to keep it as small as possible just so we have less in our car and it makes it easier in the room cuz so many rooms are small and cramming a lot of clothes in a small room is never fun.

I usually dress pretty nice on sea days is I don't have it change, (a skirt and comfy blouse) .. On days im off the ship I will always change for dinner because I dress much mire casual for that type of day. Husband is easier.. Men are, he will put on dress pants and a polo or comfy dress shirt at night no problem, but on sea days he will too wear the polo or dress shirt all day and just change into pants.

I will just have to work around it and hope I can dress for at least some of the parties..

I usually travel hand luggage only! On UK airlines that is 5-10Kg (11-22lbs).

MSC have excellent value laundry packages. Cheaper than paying for hold luggage on a low cost airline, you can concentrate on the few items you need to take and have things laundered as you go and at the end of the cruise if you have remaining laundry credit to save you the effort upon your return.

I am sitting in my home office now. Just outside is where we store bags for every airline. Every airline is different but we have a bag or two and written down packing policy to suit hand luggage only on every airline we use. The new low-cost carriers are not the problem as much as the old-fashioned charter airlines who are intent on making money from unsuspecting customers.

I usually travel hand luggage only! On UK airlines that is 5-10Kg (11-22lbs).

MSC have excellent value laundry packages. Cheaper than paying for hold luggage on a low cost airline, you can concentrate on the few items you need to take and have things laundered as you go and at the end of the cruise if you have remaining laundry credit to save you the effort upon your return.

I am sitting in my home office now. Just outside is where we store bags for every airline. Every airline is different but we have a bag or two and written down packing policy to suit hand luggage only on every airline we use. The new low-cost carriers are not the problem as much as the old-fashioned charter airlines who are intent on making money from unsuspecting customers.

I never thought about a laundry service. I know carnival ships have machines for you to use and I've done that in the past, but MSC doesn't have that. I will look into the laundry service though ..

On our 10 days cruises we also had a carnival night and an 60-years theme night.

Wow, I didn't know Carnival had theme nights .. How cool. But I've never been on a longer cruise on them. Only 4-5 day ones.