Brussels or Bruges

agw2310

Definitely Bruges. Brussels is a fairly nice city but not nearly as attractive as Bruges. It is lovely taking a boat along the canals. Lots of history there too. It's more compact so easier to see a lot in a single day.

Definitely Bruges. Brussels is a fairly nice city but not nearly as attractive as Bruges. It is lovely taking a boat along the canals. Lots of history there too. It's more compact so easier to see a lot in a single day.

Thank you for your reply, very helpful. Bruges looks like the better option.

Hello,

We are on MSC Magnifica in October and stop in Zeebrugge and are undecided whether to go to Brussels or Bruges. Any advice or recommendations?

Hi! I live in Belgium since 2003 and I have to say that the best city ever is Ghent. It is small so you can see all the sights by foot, there is a beautiful (authentic) castle right in the city center and loads of amazing architecture.

If the only options are Bruges or Brussels then I would go for Bruges. The distances in Brussels are hard to cover, you will waste a lot of time in traffic. Bruges is pretty although not the most authentic city ever, loads of new things targeting tourists. But AmoMondo is very right, the boat rides are lovely and the 13th century church with a supposed sample of Jesus's blood is magnificent. Have fun!

Edited by Bra_BE2014

Hi! I live in Belgium since 2003 and I have to say that the best city ever is Ghent. It is small so you can see all the sights by foot, there is a beautiful (authentic) castle right in the city center and loads of amazing architecture.

If the only options are Bruges or Brussels then I would go for Bruges. The distances in Brussels are hard to cover, you will waste a lot of time in traffic. Bruges is pretty although not the most authentic city ever, loads of new things targeting tourists. But AmoMondo is very right, the boat rides are lovely and the 13th century church with a supposed sample of Jesus's blood is magnificent. Have fun!

Hi, Many thanks for your reply. Bruges certainly seems like a better option than Brussels but I will look at Ghent too.

Hello,

We are on MSC Magnifica in October and stop in Zeebrugge and are undecided whether to go to Brussels or Bruges. Any advice or recommendations?

Are you on the cruise starting on Sept 28 from Hamburg? We are on that cruise too. We are thinking of going to Brussels as there seems to be more to see. We are searching for fellow cruisers who will be in Le Havre with us on Sept 29 who would like to join a private D-day tour. Karen

Are you on the cruise starting on Sept 28 from Hamburg? We are on that cruise too. We are thinking of going to Brussels as there seems to be more to see. We are searching for fellow cruisers who will be in Le Havre with us on Sept 29 who would like to join a private D-day tour. Karen

Hi Karen, We are on the cruise starting on Oct 8 from Southampton. We were hoping to go on a D-day tour too but all the tours are so expensive.

Ann

Hello,

Definitely go to Brugge (Bruges) it is compact and you can visit in a couple hours and it's not so far from Zeebrugge. Or if you have more time go to Gent (Ghent) it is a little less than 1 hour drive from Zeebrugge. Gent is cosy and there's a lot you can visit within a short distance. Brussel I'm afraid you will lose to much time going there and back. Traffic in the capital is horrible unless you have plenty of time going from one sightseeing to another.

John

Hi Ann - After reading the recommendations and consulting my parents, who have been to Belgium several times (my mom lived in Antwerp as a child), I think Brugge is the best bet for us since we're first-timers in Belgium.

My dad wrote:

"Zeebrugge is a North Sea resort – the Belgian coast goes from Le Zoute (De Zoud) to La Panne. Everything that borders on the Netherlands is Flanders. Going inland, you are in West Flanders with its capital of Brugge. Brugge, with its canals and Béguinage (medieval convent) is worth a trip. Ghent is in Oost Flanders and is more for art lovers. The famous St. Bavo’s Adoration of the Lamb altar piece is famous, and even more so after figuring in Monument Men, since it was stolen by the Germans (recommend the movie). As for Antwerp, it is the next province East (Antwerpen). Next East is Suid Limburg. The language is Flemish (Vlaams), written exactly like Dutch, but sounding differently. Most people speak some English.

I would not recommend Antwerp at this time. The tour to Brussels takes you to La Grande Place, where a little off from there you find the Mannekin Piss. I just watched the [ship tour] video. I think Bruges (Brugge) would be right for you."

My parents said we can definitely do Brugge on our own by taking a taxi, perhaps with another couple.

Karen

Edited by karen456
mistake in date for other couple

Definitely go to Brugge (Bruges) it is compact and you can visit in a couple hours and it's not so far from Zeebrugge. Or if you have more time go to Gent (Ghent) it is a little less than 1 hour drive from Zeebrugge. Gent is cosy and there's a lot you can visit within a short distance. Brussel I'm afraid you will lose to much time going there and back. Traffic in the capital is horrible unless you have plenty of time going from one sightseeing to another.

John

Hi John, Thank you for your reply. We have decided to go to Bruges seems like the best option.

Ann

Hi Ann - After reading the recommendations and consulting my parents, who have been to Belgium several times (my mom lived in Antwerp as a child), I think Brugge is the best bet for us since we're first-timers in Belgium.

My dad wrote:

"Zeebrugge is a North Sea resort – the Belgian coast goes from Le Zoute (De Zoud) to La Panne. Everything that borders on the Netherlands is Flanders. Going inland, you are in West Flanders with its capital of Brugge. Brugge, with its canals and Béguinage (medieval convent) is worth a trip. Ghent is in Oost Flanders and is more for art lovers. The famous St. Bavo’s Adoration of the Lamb altar piece is famous, and even more so after figuring in Monument Men, since it was stolen by the Germans (recommend the movie). As for Antwerp, it is the next province East (Antwerpen). Next East is Suid Limburg. The language is Flemish (Vlaams), written exactly like Dutch, but sounding differently. Most people speak some English.

I would not recommend Antwerp at this time. The tour to Brussels takes you to La Grande Place, where a little off from there you find the Mannekin Piss. I just watched the [ship tour] video. I think Bruges (Brugge) would be right for you."

My parents said we can definitely do Brugge on our own by taking a taxi, perhaps with another couple.

Karen

Hi Karen, Thank you, and your parents, for all the information. Bruges seems to be the best option for us. I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Ann

Edited by agw2310