Tell me the downside of Portholes!

Dixie24

Thank you. GOCCL.com and pictures I have seen have a couch in the PT Category rooms (ones where beds convert to king) on Conquest class. Can anyone confirm that there is a couch? Specifically looking at Cabin 1216 or 1217.

Cabin 1216 PT 220 sq ft

Beds: twin/king (CQ GL LI VA)

Beds: twin/king-single sofa bed (FD)

View: 2 portholes

Bathroom: shower-toilet-sink

Features: TV, telephone, 110 AC current, individual climate control, hair dryer, safe, minibar, 3-closets, sofa and coffee table

** 1217 is same. So yes there's a couch (not a sleeper, cabin sleeps 2 on GL)

I had a porthole once. I didn't hear the waves and the motion of the ship was not too rough. My biggest complaint was the loud noise that I thought were the engines but someone else stated that it was the thrusters. Either way That loud grinding that sounded like they were cranking up the ship and the heavy vibrations it produced I will never again be forward ship with a porthole. The first time it happened I woke up panicky and frightened I thought the ship was going down LOL No one prepared me for that.

Downside could include, like others mentioned, that it is in the very front of the ship, so there could be more motion (at least they're low), and could be loud from the waves crashing into the ship (something you likely won't notice until 3 a.m. ;) ).

Also, the portholes aren't the easiest to look out of. With a window, you can look out and see outside from the cabin. With a porthole, you may need to actually sit on the little ledge to look out. And I thought the porthole would be a perfect framing technique with taking pictures, however, the light coming through them overwhelmed my camera, so a lot of light artifact and washed out pictures, plus they are so waterstained that you can tell that you're looking through thick glass on the pictures and they're not clear pictures at all.

To me, the reason is not for the ability to look out but for the ability for natural light to come in. Also, they are larger than most inside cabins but cost the same.

I did a port hole on my first curise, last time I will ever be in on. Was mid ship so didn't have the noise and motion, but every time you looked out the port hole and saw the ocean swell on the horizon felt sick. I never get sick on a ship other than this. I had a friend book the cabins you are looking at to save money, it was a rough trip and they didnt sleep for a week, between the waves hitting the bow, the up and down motion as we sailed over night and then the anchor and thrusters in the morning they vowed never to sail again.