Please recs for ATV/Snorkeling in Maui

Beth & Rob

2 maybe 3 of us for a week in Maui end of Oct. We'd like to do an ATV tour so would like recommendations.

Also we'd like to go snorkeling. Did several islands in the Caribbean during a cruise last year, but just walked into the water from the beach.

So if there are great areas to do this from please suggest and if there is a particular tour you would recommend we take, please share.

Thanks

On Maui, I would suggest taking a boat out to Molokini to snorkel - its some of the best snorkeling in the world according to a few travel lists and definitely among our best experiences. Our trip was cut short due to a medical emergency (big shout out to the US Coast Guard!) but we hope to return someday.

I'm not aware of an ATV tour on Maui, but I am sure someone will chime in with info if there is one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maui has really good shore snorkelling. We stay in West Maui, and a few areas that we like there are Honolua Bay, Kahekili Beach, Kapalua Bay and Black Rock - but most of the snorkelling we do is right in front of the resort that we stay at as the reefs are excellent.

Where on Maui are you staying?

That's in West Maui ... so all of the places that I mentioned will be a quick drive.

Kahekili Beach (on a calm water day) and Kapalua Bay have good snorkelling close to shore.

Black Rock is best before 9 a.m. and after 4 p.m. to avoid the crowds ... and you have to be careful about going out to the end of the point as sometimes the current gets strong out there (but you can still enjoy snorkelling before the point - and usually lots of turtles to be seen there.

Honolua Bay requires a fairly long swim out to get to the reefs, but it's the most rewarding for great reefs. It also requires a 5-10 minute hike in from the road ... but the hike adds to the interest of this place. The shoreline is rocky, best to go in at the old boat ramp. Again, only good on calm water days. Parking is just on the side of the road.

You can map all of those out on google maps e.g. directions to Honolua Bay

You could also book a West Maui catamaran snorkel cruise (have a look at Trilogy and Teralani) as they take their boats into Honolua Bay when conditions are good (which they likely will be in October.)

I don't know of any ATV tours ... but there is some really good hiking on Maui if that's of interest.