$7.50 shipping from Alaska to home

spalady

I remember reading on a board that someone went to Alaska and went to a Post Office and shipped home a box for $7.50 including the cost of the box.

Senion moments come more often now - does anyone remember which Alaskan town was mentioned? (or is it all towns) The quote from the writer was "the boxes were big enough to hold 2 cinderblocks"

Thanks to anyone who remembers!!!

They were probably talking about the flat rate US Postal Service Priority Mail box - it's $7.70 no matter how much it weighs, good sized box, but sometimes our local PO doesn't have the box, so might be hit or miss if they actually have the box on site (probably only one PO in Skagway and Ketchikan at least, maybe more than one in Juneau)

They were probably talking about the flat rate US Postal Service Priority Mail box - it's $7.70 no matter how much it weighs, good sized box, but sometimes our local PO doesn't have the box, so might be hit or miss if they actually have the box on site (probably only one PO in Skagway and Ketchikan at least, maybe more than one in Juneau)

One looks just right for an ULU knife and bowl the other looks good to go for Jams and Jellies.

I packed one of the "jelly" boxes - would have packed more but my wife said 'WE ALREADY ALMOST OVERWEIGHT! - so I backed off.

What I would do however is take a small roll of packing tape - got to be cheaper here than there. I also printed out Shipping labels

I did this a few times this summer from different US cities. But in Anchorage, I was surprised the post office closed early. So my spouse ended up having to ship it another way from a Staples.

But if you are able to do this, it's a cheap way to send heavy flat items like Ulu knives, photo albums, etc. as they don't count the weight. You can slip a flat, unopened box from your home post office in your luggage. It doesn't need tape, it is self-sealing.

Archived