Feria de São Cristóvão, Rio

t60

We´re thinking we might like to visit this market on a Saturday afternoon and evening (from reading a bit about it it seems they have music and dancing in the evenings) also do a bit of souvenir shopping

Has anyone been?

What hints, tips, advice could you give us please? Is it safe (provided you keep your wits about you as from photos it looks busy)? what about transport, would it be better to go by taxi from Ipanema, if so any idea on price? How about buses? How long would it take to get there? Any thoughts on particular items to buy? One time when we were in Brazil we bought a painted wooden parrot on a branch which hangs on our terrace, but we´ve never found another one and I think he needs a friend or two.

They seem to have lots of food stalls there as well, any recommendations for something local to eat?

This is our 3rd visit to Rio so we´ve done all the usual touristy stuff, although we´ve never visited the Hippy Market in Ipanema ...yet. Any thoughts or advice on that one? We might do that on Sunday together with the beach before joining our ship on Monday.

Sandy in Spain

From Ipanema, take bus 474, 441 or 461. Taxi might be about R$35 or so.

Study up a bit on northeastern culture. There's a lot of info on the internet just by Googling. For example:

Who was the Luiz Gonzaga that the place is named for? What are the typical music styles and where does each originate? YouTube has lots of music videos to help. (and videos of the Feira itself) Maracatu, forro, frevo, repentismo...to start with...

What are the typical regional crafts? You should be able to find handcrafted lace, straw bags, ceramic sculptures....

Food? From tapioca to buchada, acaraje, moqueca....

-------

The Feira Hippie is fun for a couple of hours. Lots of naïf paintings. A booth selling acaraje (typical street food from Bahia). Leather goods. Actual handcrafts mixed with the usual tourist trinkets/souvenirs of Rio.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Thanx for that. I have been doing my research, that´s how I found out about the place, reviews have been varied. I thought it might be interesting for afternoon evening visit.

We will be cruising up the coast of Brazil from Rio to Santos, Buzios, Salvador, Maceio, Forteleza, before coming back to Europe across the Atlantic, Any hints or tips on the other ports of call? It´s always nice to get first hand information from a local person.

Sandy in Spain

Thanx for that. I have been doing my research, that´s how I found out about the place, reviews have been varied. I thought it might be interesting for afternoon evening visit.

We will be cruising up the coast of Brazil from Rio to Santos, Buzios, Salvador, Maceio, Forteleza, before coming back to Europe across the Atlantic, Any hints or tips on the other ports of call? It´s always nice to get first hand information from a local person.

Sandy in Spain

Well, I'm not surprised there are mixed reviews, considering the type of people writing them. It seems to me that many tourists on forums express a fear of being among the common people of Rio and Brazil, and the Feira is a local experience. One review commented on a lack of sense of personal space there, for example. The locals there are out to have a good time dancing forro, not picking your pocket.

So much of Rio's culture and music had its origins in the northeast (esp. Bahia) and this is a place for a less timid traveler to get a good sense of that. Of course, I'd recommend actually going to Bahia and Pernambuco to experience the culture there too. :-))

For me, the most interesting port on your list is Salvador. A good site to start with is http://www.salvadorcentral.com which is the baby of a longtime expat with lots of knowledge about the culture and music. For a short port visit, you can easily walk from the port to the Mercado Modelo, take the Elevador Lacerda to the Upper City, and explore the Pelourinho historic district with its churches, museums, shops and restaurants. The SENAC cooking school has a buffet of typical foods from Bahia, a good way to sample a wide variety. If you have more time, taxi to the Bonfim church to get a ribbon on your wrist and see the museum of miracles, or taxi to the nearer-by former sugar cane plantation/current art museum Solar de Uniao. Salvador has a very rich and unique culture, and an important musical heritage, and a one day port stop just allows you to skim the surface.

The other ports of call are largely about beach time, in/around a city or in a beach village like chic and expensive Buzios. You can Google the minor points of historical interest or small craft markets in each.

YouTube is a good resource to see what these places look like.

Post again if you still have questions.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Thanx again. I write a diary during our cruises, but before we go I try to do a lot of research on the plaes, so we have a bit of bakground information before we go and that´s added into my diaries as well together with selected photos. So far I´ve completed my notes on Santos, coffee historyand beach garden, but I also want to see the Wyland mural; Buzios beach, boardwalk, bronze statues and shopping;Salvador just loads of history everywhere and music. got lots of informtion from this website you also mentioned http://www.salvadorcentral.com I like the sound of the cooking school, so will check that out.

I know what you mean about tourists, my husband used to be a bit timid in ¨different¨ places where there were lots of local diversions, but trips to India, Moroco and Africa cured him!!! :-))

Looking forward to a trip in the Lacerda lift, but have seen pix of a cable car as well. We would like to get to the BonFim church, the miracle room looks unique and definatelt want to get some Bonfim ribbons as gifts

I must admit I forget about You tube for researching places. Thanx for you help

Sandy in Spain

The best thing about the Elevador Lacerda IMO is the ice cream shop outside the entrance at the top! Otherwise it's just an elevator. Great view from the building windows at the top though. Watch your pockets and stuff in the elevator car.

I was interested that Lisbon has an elevator very much like this one.

I wouldn't really advise using the plano inclinado because of the slightly dodgy location of its end points.

Have fun. Looking forward to your trip report.