Room Service Tipping

sherry26

It depends on which cruise line and how much food you are getting. Some cruise lines automatically add 15% tip for room service, as they do with their alcoholic beverages. I would probably give $2-$5 cash above that 15% depending on whether I am ordering Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner. Sometimes breakfast menus do not call for an automatic 15% if you order off the menu provided in your cabin. I would ask this question on the board for the cruise line you are sailing to get the correct answer or call the cruise line directly.

We like to have coffee and danish in the morning while getting ready for breakfast.

We'll ususally tip $2 wrapped around a small candy bar or other treat for the delivery person. It never fails to get a smile.............and even more rapid service for the rest of the cruise :D

Charlie

Have you ever thought of how much more the room service people make verses your room steward who only gets approx $3.50 a day or the dining room servers! Who really does the most for you? My husband pointed that out to me on my last cruise when we were using room service quite often. I would think room service positions would be one of the most sought after jobs on the ship with all the tips - do they have to be pooled and divided????

YES indeed, I've thought about that, and I've posted my thoughts a few times.

When I see folks say they tip the room service delivery person $3-5, it just makes me cringe....thinking about ALL the cabin steward does - and these guys get as much for one delivery as the cabin steward gets for a FULL day of work.:o

I try to put things in perspective, and that's why I tip very little for room service.

If you use room service for a meal and tip, and do not use the dining room or buffet for that meal, if you also tip your dining room waiter for that meal by prepay or at end of the cruise you will have tipped twice for the same meal.

If this happened only occasionally it would not matter much. If you used room service for many meals, then it would.

I'm not sure just how to resolve this. You think you should tip the room service person, but, how much. You are already tipping the dining room wait staff for meals. Do they share with room service waiters?

I am open to suggestions.

How much do you tip for room service?

Simple. Nothing. I've already paid the $10 pp/pd and thats it, no need to pay any more. All service personnel are covered by that amount (yes room service too I've asked!) and there is no need to pay more. I've done short and long cruises and used room service quite often and I have never encountered a problem eg. server expecting a tip. Tipping for room service is discretionary not mandatory.

........ Tipping for room service is discretionary not mandatory.

You are correct about it not being mandatory, but it's a nice gesture.

You are incorrect in that all services are covered by your $10 per day.

$5.50 for dining room waiter and assistant

$3.50 for cabin steward

$1.00 for Lido Deck dining personnel

Room service is an entirely different entity.

Picky, picky...read the fine print, call the cruise line, ask the crew, ask the purser, is it included in the $10/day, what would be the 15% tip for a comparable breakfast at Denny's, are they pooling the tips, are the baggage handlers union employees...... I'm on a cruise, I thank the Supreme Being that I am fortunate enough to be here, and that I can afford to be here and enjoy this cruise while others huddle under a cardboard box under a freeway ramp waiting to scour the garbage bin for some food. Or lie in a bed in a nursing home waiting for someone to change my diaper....

It's a few dollars, get over it already.

I still tip room service 1~4 dollars per use. It really depends on what I have asked them to bring and how labor intensive it it; a beverage is a buck, a meal is 3 and a chair or lounger is 4. I do not feel obligated to do so, it is just my way of saying thank you.

The only room service I've ever gotten (on a cruise) is a cup of coffee in the morning, and I gave the guy $2.

I also gave our room steward a ($20) pre-tip, and our regular waitress and her assistant in the (traditional) dinning rom a cash tip over what was chargesd to my (Princess) room.

Not required, but my choice.

Likewise the baggage handler at the airport, cabbies, etc. It's how they earn a living, and unless they do somethng to really tick me off - I give them a tip.

Have you ever thought of how much more the room service people make verses your room steward who only gets approx $3.50 a day or the dining room servers! Who really does the most for you? My husband pointed that out to me on my last cruise when we were using room service quite often. I would think room service positions would be one of the most sought after jobs on the ship with all the tips - do they have to be pooled and divided????

Actually on our last cruise our room steward delievered our 6 a.m. coffee and danish one morning. Have had assistant waiters from the dining room deliver our morning coffee and danish as well.

I'm thinking: just because you don't recognize the deliverer of your room service delivery doesn't mean that your ``deliverer'' isn't doing multiple services aboard ship -- and -- working many long hours running up and down halls, stairs and elevators.

They deserve their tip for the trip to your cabin.

Dianne

Archived