Costs of extras: RCI vs. Carnival

bugsokc

Hi all!

I have sailed on Carnival twice and have another Carnival cruise scheduled to depart in five short weeks. I am thinking about giving Royal Caribbean a try next year. I am a planner and like to review all the info available.

I'm looking for some info on costs for a Royal Caribbean cruise versus Carnival. I'm not talking about the cost of the cruise itself (that's easy to find). I'm wondering about all the extras. For instance I have noticed that RCI's all inclusive drink program (at $55 per day) is significantly more expensive than Carnivals (at $37.50).

I understand that cruisers will have different experiences on each line. I am really only concerned about costs (at this time).

Not sure if it matters or not, but we would be considering a 7-8 day cruise (nothing shorter) and there would be three of us (me, wife and 8-year-old daughter).

Can anyone (preferably those who have sailed on both cruise lines) give any insight as to the cost differences? Anything that should be considered (good or bad) when calculating the total cost of cruising.

Thanks!

Have 11 cruises on Carnival and just returned from a RCCL cruise on the Freedom of the Seas.

Regarding your question about cost of drink packages.

$55 a day on Royal vs. $37.95 a day on Carnival.

The Royal package of $55 a day includes unlimited self serve soda pop (Coke products), bottled water, Starbucks coffee (on the FOS), and of course your alcohol.

For my wife and I,,, basically the same price at the end of the day. Just more convenient to just pay one price before cruise begins rather than a 5 page bill at end of cruise.

Just so you're comparing apples to apples.... Royal's drink package is still more expensive (if you're on a 4 day or longer cruise) but the $55/day on Royal includes 15% gratuity and the $37.50 (for a 7+day cruise) on Carnival does not. It appears that Royal has changed their pricing system to make it easier to compare. Royal's price is now $49 + 15% for their Premium package. So the correct comparison is $49 vs. $37.50 for 7 day cruises. Royal's still more expensive. I will say though that there are other drink package options available on Royal that may be a better fit. [And I do like that not everyone in the cabin has to buy a drink package at all much less the same package.]

Get real.....they were being SARCASTIC!!!! Geez Louise.....

You seem to be of the opinion that the post in question was clearly sarcastic. But you should note that the statement was read as written, and taken at face value, by at least three people on this thread. So the humor in the post was not nearly as obvious as you suppose.

So perhaps it was sarcastic, not merely wrong and misleading. Perhaps not. The true nature of it remains ambiguous. Whether it was an attempt at humor via more Carnival bashing, or actual misinformation; either way, the only thing certain, is that it was not helpful.

If you will be taking a cruise every year, RCI 's Loyalty program is great....Crown and Anchor has a number of "perks" that increase with each level of cruise days you have completed..... See the website's Crown and Anchor benefits page. I do not think Carnival can even get close to this.