Glacier Bay or shorter time in Ketchikan

lauren0309

Of all the places we went to in Alaska, Glacier Bay was the best. We entered during a bad snowstorm and it was still amazing.

We were meant to go to Tracy Arm as well but it was iced over so we couldn't go so I can't give an opinion there!

Ketchikan is one of (the?) rainest cities in the entirety of the USA. Perhaps if you had numerous visits there, a charm would emerge - but really, in the places by the port that you can get to (bearing in mind you'll likely be soaked through and want easy access back to the ship), you'll not be missing much. Trust me, there are a million more chances to go to Diamonds International ;)

Of all the places we went to in Alaska, Glacier Bay was the best. We entered during a bad snowstorm and it was still amazing.

We were meant to go to Tracy Arm as well but it was iced over so we couldn't go so I can't give an opinion there!

Ketchikan is one of (the?) rainest cities in the entirety of the USA. Perhaps if you had numerous visits there, a charm would emerge - but really, in the places by the port that you can get to (bearing in mind you'll likely be soaked through and want easy access back to the ship), you'll not be missing much. Trust me, there are a million more chances to go to Diamonds International ;)

Tracy Arm is beautiful--especially if you do a small-boat tour there. We got up close to one of the Sawyer glaciers and the calving was amazing! We also saw quite a bit of wildlife, including Orcas. Pretty fantastic.

I've been to Ketchikan three times and never experienced rain there (certainly can't say the same for Juneau!). Not that it would matter since I'm an Oregon girl and rain doesn't stop us from doing much of anything. LOL. Also, never stepped foot in a Diamonds International store. But, I've thoroughly enjoyed walking through the town, visiting the galleries, and going down Married Man's Trail. But, if someone doesn't like the town, there are lots of options for getting out and enjoying the area. We've gone to Anan Creek for amazing bear viewing and salmon fishing. Lots of great memories from our stops in Ketchikan. What you describe about Ketchikan is exactly how I feel about Skagway. LOL. :D

Ketchikan is my favorite port. Not that I don't like the others, though.

It has never rained any of the three times I've been there, too.

I went on my favorite excursion from Ketchikan, but I don't know if they still offer it. We went on catamaran through the Misty Fjords for 3.5 hours, then in the middle of the wilderness stopped at a small dock and got on a small float plane and flew back to Ketchikan. Being the last flight of the day, the pilot took a little extra time, showing us his favorite sites, including sheep and lakes high on the mountain tops. I loved approaching the port in ketchikan from the air, there were three cruise ships in port at the time, making for a great photo remembrance.

You said you were going late in September, which is great for another reason. I don't know if you want to shop, but at the end of the season most of the shops offer great markdowns, sometimes more than 50%, and it's a great time to do some Christmas shopping. Two of my visits were the last cruise of the season, and I'm still wishing I could return for more ulu knives for friends, as I use mine so much.

The Sun is also one of my favorite ships. I've been on the Jewel, the Pearl, and the Sun. Just because the Sun is older than the other two, you should not let that dissuade you from sailing her. I'd rather sail again on the Sun than the Jewel or Pearl. Like a previous poster said, it recently underwent dry dock, so it should be in good shape. I'll be on the Sun in less than two months, so I can let you know what I think, because the last time I was on her was 2003.

I've visited Glacier Bay twice and Sawyer Glacier once. Or at least tried to visit Sawyer Glacier. There were so many icebergs in the water that we could not get close enough to get more than a glimpse. But Glacier Bay is what I think is an ethereal experience. I think every Alaskan cruiser should see Glacier Bay first, because it's not to be missed. Then if you can manage another Alaskan cruise, choose from any of the other options.

I have said I want to be cremated and my ashes scattered in Glacier Bay. But they may not allow that, so I told my daughter that I didn't care if she could not scatter the ashes; I just want her to experience Glacier Bay!