3 day pre cruise stay in Paris... Question

CWRob

We are staying at the Hotel Ampere in Paris for 3 days pre Paris and the Heart of Normandy cruise Oct 5. We have purchased a "Paris Pass" 2 days. Finally the question........ any suggestions re order of doing attractions, museums etc. All included as is subway, rer and off on bus. We want to make good use of our 2 days, but not on a treadmill!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

We found it worthwhile to pre-order Eiffel Tour Behind the Scenes Tour---very enjoyable and eliminated standing in long lines as well. Found the Metro very easy to use with smartphone app. Don't overplan your days! We planned one activity per day and played the rest by ear (with knowledge of other things we "might" want to do) That way we really enjoyed our time there.

"ParisGreeters" is a GREAT thing to do if you want to enjoy some "off the beaten track" time. (see reviews on Trip Advisor). They are a volunteer group (you can make a donation thru the main site on Paypal only if you choose) that give neighborhood tours. They don't tour monuments or museums but instead give the neighborhood walks. Really, really interesting!

Enjoy your time in Paris!!

I think you have to be guided by your interests. I would pick the Louvre as the number 1 museum, but you'll exhaust yourself if you try to see the entire museum at once. I would concentrate on what you consider the main attractions, I would put the Mona Lisa in this category. The advantage of the museum pass is that you can see some things early in the day, then do something else, and come back in the evening for another round. Near the Louvre is the Orangerie with the Monets. I also like the Musee d'Orsay with all the Impressionist art. Near there is the Rodin museum. If you want to visit Versailles, count on a full day there, although you could fit in a museum in the evening. The truth is that 3 days isn't nearly enough to see the major attractions of Paris, so the most important thing is to think of places you've heard of or always wanted to visit, then figure out which of them make the most sense logistically. Certainly seeing the sights that aren't on the Paris pass makes the most sense for the day you're not using the pass. If you're arriving in Paris from abroad, I'd suggest waiting until Day 2 to start the pass so you'll have the energy to take full a advantage of it.

Chloe's mom...... I think know you hit the nail on the head. The Louvre is on my bucket list and hope to visit the Orsay. Versailles is on Vikings optional tour so we have to make some decisions. Flying from Toronto so day of arrival we may need some down time.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

We elected to do the Viking optional tour of Versailles because we didn't want to take 3/4 of a day of our 3 days in Paris. I am glad we did it that way. We toured with a guide which was very good.

Don't over plan your days!!!! Rick Steve's book has good info on opening and closing times of the attractions. Go early!!!! They get very crowded.

My one regret is that we didn't do more guided tours. I think we would have gotten a lot more out of our time in Paris.

Enjoy your Paris to Normandy cruise. It was awesome!

We elected to do the Viking optional tour of Versailles because we didn't want to take 3/4 of a day of our 3 days in Paris. I am glad we did it that way. We toured with a guide which was very good.

Don't over plan your days!!!! Rick Steve's book has good info on opening and closing times of the attractions. Go early!!!! They get very crowded.

My one regret is that we didn't do more guided tours. I think we would have gotten a lot more out of our time in Paris.

Enjoy your Paris to Normandy cruise. It was awesome!

I agree with Cruzzinma re: guided tours. If time is limited I think you will see more, learn more and waste less time between attractions and standing on lines for tickets, if you pick a professional tour company/guide to take you where you want to go. I would also take Viking's optional tour of Versailles since they will be providing transportation, guide and tickets in your price and that will leave you with a full day (or half day at the least) to visit something that is not included. The Orangerie (largest collection of Monets beautifully presented) was one of my favorites and it's right at the Tuilerees, which is a wonderful place to spend time. You will love Paris, but don't expect to see it all in 2-3 days you'll only succeed in making yourself crazy!!

Edited by Hydrokitty

we spend the month of April in Paris yearly….your time there will go by so quickly…you may have already done so but check the trip advisor Paris forum…it is really informative with new thoughts and ideas every day…i red it a couple times a week...

have a wonderful trip!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a hotel or similar accommodations that will support three adults. My wife, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter are spending a week in Paris next June and have had difficulties finding a location that will allow three people. Our daughter-in-law and granddaughter don't mind sleeping together which requires only two beds but still find places unwilling to book.

Any ideas?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a hotel or similar accommodations that will support three adults. My wife, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter are spending a week in Paris next June and have had difficulties finding a location that will allow three people. Our daughter-in-law and granddaughter don't mind sleeping together which requires only two beds but still find places unwilling to book.

Any ideas?

Have they considered an apartment? I can recommend a 2-bedroom apartment in the Marais that we rented last year. If you're interested, I can email you the info.

Have they considered an apartment? I can recommend a 2-bedroom apartment in the Marais that we rented last year. If you're interested, I can email you the info.

We would be interested. Not sure where the Marais is located but are looking at all options. Our daughter-in-law does have some mobility issues (thanks to Lupus) so access to an elevator helps. Also close access to public transportation is a must.

Thanks!

We would be interested. Not sure where the Marais is located but are looking at all options. Our daughter-in-law does have some mobility issues (thanks to Lupus) so access to an elevator helps. Also close access to public transportation is a must.

Thanks!

You could also try VRBO.com, which, in case you didn't know, stands for vacation rentals by owner. I have personally used them, although not in europe, but have never been disappointed and most of them will rent by the night as well as week or month. The web site is easy to use and if you deal with an owner property (not one with a listing agent) you tend to get a little better service. Other. than that, have you considered an all suite hotel?

Thanks!

We rented the apartment from the owner on VRBO, the website Hydrokitty mentioned. The building has an elevator and is about a 5 minute walk to the Metro and several bus lines. Two other Metro stations are a bit further walk. You should be able to get a cab near the apartment. Google Place des Voges and that where the apartment is.

If you give me the dates they'll be in Paris, I'll check the VRBO listing for availability. It's a very popular apartment and books up quickly.

If there is someone with mobility issues, using the bus is easier than the Metro. Changing from one line to another can involve a lot of walking and possibly some stairs.

Personally, I also prefer the bus so I get to see more of the cities.

cb

My wife and I appreciate all of the kind suggestions for us for our Paris trip next year. Right now we don't have the exact dates as we are trying to do this trip - kind of in 2 parts.

1) My Wife, Granddaughter and Daughter-in-Law are traveling to London then Paris and will be in Paris around the 14th of June.....

2) I am traveling to meet my wife for our June 21st cruise on or about the 18th of June..... (this will be the same day - when confirmed - that GD and DiL will be traveling back to the states.

3) For simplicity we are thinking that she and I will keep the same room that had been rented until our cruise.

So while we are still looking at all of the options..... we can't commit to any particular accommodations until we solidify our travel dates. Whew !!!:eek:

Thanks again for all the info...and if anyone has other ideas/suggestions feel free to pass them along !!

It's been a few years but we made great use of a Paris pass for museums and attractions. There are different levels of passes, ours did not cover the Eiffel Tower so we rebooked a time separately. We made lots of quick visits to maximize the pass.

The Paris metro was very easy to use I had studied locations and grids but to be sure I talked every day to the Marriott concierge. The concierge had handouts for every place we visited with specific directions from the hotel.

We avoided ticket lines but still waited in security lines everywhere.

Many attractions are closed at least one day a week, study your trip days of the week to know what kind of pass to buy. We purchased ours at the airport just outside the baggage area.