9 August - Transatlantic, thoughts and Info

kingstontricia

We have just returned from this crossing and enjoyed ourselves enormously. The weather was wonderful and the Atlantic perfectly calm. This was our first cruise/crossing and we could not have been more impressed.

Checking in at New York was simple and quick - we arrived at around 12 noon and were on the ship in 20 minutes. We had booked our trip in January of this year for 2 D6 cabins on guarantee. We were delighted to be told on check in that we would be in cabins 5241 and 5245. These were B4 category and inter-connecting. As a family of 4 with 2 teenagers it was perfect and way beyond what we had hoped for.Another plus was that the soda pass was available - this was well plugged in all the bars at the start of the crossing and cost $27.50 for the trip including gratuity. It was not available on a day to day basis. Needless to say this went down very well, particularly, with my 14 year old son.

We dined in the Britannia restaurant for lunch and dinner daily. This was a delight - the food was excellent. We did eat in the Kings Court shortly after we arrived on QM2 and the food was also excellent. We just could not be bothered with the crush and canteen like atmosphere the rest of the time. Lunch in Britannia was a relaxed experience. We did dine in the cavery section of Kings Court on the 4th evening of the crossing. This we regretted. The meal itself was lovely and could not be faulted, however, the setting and general ambience was poor and we would not dine there again.

As a family we were delighted to see lots of other families making the trip, however, we were slightly disappointed that the entertainment seemed to be aimed at older people. We attended 3 of the evening productions and were very impressed with the Rock at the Opera show. The other two shows (dance and the vocalist and flautist) were of excellent quality but their content was to us a bit staid. This is only a minor thing and our point of view. We never discussed the shows with anyone else.

One of the great pluses of the QM2 to us was the spa facility. I thought the cost of treatments was expensive. We did, however, purchase the 3 day pass to the spa for $49. This we loved and we visited the spa twice a day. It was a wonderful experience and the staff and facilities first class.

I spoke to lots of fellow passengers and all had nothing but praise for the QM2 and its crew. It was a wonderful experience and we could not have had a better time. Anyone who reads this and has a trip planned on QM2 - well, I am jealous.

Finally, the BBC (Bailey Banana Coctail) is divine. If anyone has any questions please get in touch.:) :)

Tricia

So glad you enjoyed the crossing, went last year both ways and loved it , cant wait til next year.

We also loved the show Rock at the opera (big queen fan The group and the ship) but surprised they are still doing the same show over a year later.

Roll on 27/6/06:)

Kevin

Hello,

A soda pass allows you unlimited soft drinks in any of the bars on board. It was very good value because the pass costs $27.50 for the whole crossing, and soda drink at any bar was $1.50 + gratuity. The drinks included coke, sprite, fanta, tonic water (and all the usual ones as well). The pass was also valid in the restaurants.

Hope this helps!

Tricia

Hi Tricia-

It is interesting to see that the "Soda Pass" has been reinstated- We sailed on the QM2 July 5th crossing, just one month before you, and it was not being offered. When we asked about it, they said it was no longer offered, and that the best bet was to order a can, at a cost of $1.50. Oh well. Glad it worked out well for you and your soda drinker!

-Jill

Hello,

A soda pass allows you unlimited soft drinks in any of the bars on board. It was very good value because the pass costs $27.50 for the whole crossing, and soda drink at any bar was $1.50 + gratuity. The drinks included coke, sprite, fanta, tonic water (and all the usual ones as well). The pass was also valid in the restaurants.

Hope this helps!

Tricia

:confused: Does anyone know how much the pass will be on the 12-day cruise on 12/8? Also, does the pass include bottled water?

Nepcib

Yes it was necessary to purchase soft drinks in the Britannia Restaurant. Fruit Juice was available for free in the Kings Court area. There were a couple of flavours - orange and cranberry. I think Ice Tea may also have been an option.

dtwraveler

I did not see any details of prices for the pass on longer trips. As far as I can remember the pass did not cover bottled water. Club Soda was available on the pass - I am from the UK and have never actually tried Club Soda, is it similar to bottled water?

Hope this helps.

Tricia

How very odd that during meals beverages are not included. Esp. since the marginal cost of a glass of soda (not that I drink much of the stuff) is next to zero. Is this standard for the industry? Can one get still water at the table free of charge ?(wink)

How very odd that during meals beverages are not included. Esp. since the marginal cost of a glass of soda (not that I drink much of the stuff) is next to zero. Is this standard for the industry? Can one get still water at the table free of charge ?(wink)

My cruising experience is mainly with P & O and they have always charged for soft drinks of all kinds. They do however serve tap water (not bottled) free with the meal. Personally I don't like the taste of the tap water. My husband reckons it's purer than the stuff that comes out of our taps at home!! The bottled water is about 85p from what I can recall from last xmas!!

Elaine

We paid for the Soda card on the QE2 that gives you free pop, etc. My husband very seldom drinks soda, and I was surprised that I didn't either. However, if we were at a show or at the pub we'd have a beer or wine, so if you can't or don't drink alcoholic beverages you might want one. You can buy a lot of soda, before you reach the $27.50 soda card cost that was mentioned in another thread. Someone said that it's $1.50 for a soda. In September 2003 on the QE2, they didn't give you free bottled water if you had a soda card. I asked for it, and I was told that the only water it included was a glass of water. I brought a few half pint water bottles that I used when we were touring in London, because I could carry one in my purse, and on the QE2 I filled those at the water fountains where people get a drink of water. However, I think that we could have tea or coffee 24/7 self-serve in the cafeteria along with cookies!

Paul

My daughter, Stephanie, is 17 and Alex, my son, is 14. Stephanie was not at all interested in going to the Zone. Alex, on the other hand, went 2 or 3 times a day. Alex enjoyed the Zone very much and was constantly telling Stephanie that she should go along too and that there were girls of her age to meet. However, Stephanie was more than happy just relaxing around the pool, visiting the spa and generally chilling out.

Alex visited the Zone from the first full day at sea. The primary attraction for Alex was the x-box and computer games and he went along to the two sessions a day when these were available. He made quite a few friends. Alex also went to a few of the evening sessions - although we were on 2nd sitting for dinner. The highlight for Alex was the hot tub party from 10 till midnight. He also went to a couple of the other evening parties - I think these were a tropical evening and greek themed party (he refused to dress in a sheet for this!!). All in all we as parents were very pleased with the Zone and the opportunity it gave Alex to meet people his own age and Alex was certainly happy with the facilities. I hope this is helpful to you.

Tricia

p.s I did have to do some arm twisting to initially get Alex to go to the Zone but by the end of the trip he was full of it!

Paul

My daughter, Stephanie, is 17 and Alex, my son, is 14. Stephanie was not at all interested in going to the Zone. Alex, on the other hand, went 2 or 3 times a day. Alex enjoyed the Zone very much and was constantly telling Stephanie that she should go along too and that there were girls of her age to meet. However, Stephanie was more than happy just relaxing around the pool, visiting the spa and generally chilling out.

Alex visited the Zone from the first full day at sea. The primary attraction for Alex was the x-box and computer games and he went along to the two sessions a day when these were available. He made quite a few friends. Alex also went to a few of the evening sessions - although we were on 2nd sitting for dinner. The highlight for Alex was the hot tub party from 10 till midnight. He also went to a couple of the other evening parties - I think these were a tropical evening and greek themed party (he refused to dress in a sheet for this!!). All in all we as parents were very pleased with the Zone and the opportunity it gave Alex to meet people his own age and Alex was certainly happy with the facilities. I hope this is helpful to you.

Tricia

p.s I did have to do some arm twisting to initially get Alex to go to the Zone but by the end of the trip he was full of it!

I suppose my 19 year old will be too old for these clubs!! Mind you I'm thinking X Box in there, we can leave his at home!!!! He is on about taking it with him to play in the cabin. Maybe I'll say he's a 6ft 5in 12 year old because at times thats just the age he acts ;)

Elaine

• 4 weeks later...

Archived