Caribbean Princess vs Royal Princess (Grand Cayman vs Grand Turk)

Dancin85

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked a dozen times and answered.

I did try the search feature but the 100s and 100s of threads overwhelmed me! If there a secret to search to narrow threads down, please tell me how.

Background: We had a cruise out of San Juan (Celebrity) booked for December but I had an annoying visit to the ER Labor Day that led to surgery. I am doing great and should be 100% by November but DH & I decided it was probably best to postpone that cruise (and go on a shorter cruise this year)...so I transferred Celebrity to December 2015.

I have cruised once; DH never.

Now to the questions. The Caribbean Princess and Royal Princess both have Getaway cruises that leave out of Fort Lauderdale December 4. CB is 4 days and goes to Grand Cayman. Royal is 5 days and goes to Princess Cay and the Turks. Better ship? Better itinerary?

It's driving me insane!

CB for 4 days to Grand Cayman.

Royal for 5 days to Princess Cays and the Turks.

Any advice on the ships and ports is welcome!!

Thanks in advance

Dancin

I realize there are some great Princess deals in October and November but the dates interfere with DH's hunting trips. That's the reason for December 4.....

DH also thinks that would be the perfect solution!

There ya go! Welcome to Princess!

Speaking of insanity, some of those deals are insane. If you're seriously thinking of doing this, you as a single can get an inside cabin for $398 with a $400 onboard credit on some of those cruises. If you have time, and can afford it, you might want to consider grabbing 100 shares of Carnival Cruise Line stock for your IRA to get another $50 onboard credit for being a shareholder. As many have said, at these prices, you can't afford to stay home.

To answer your original question, I would pick the 5-nighter on the Royal. With the understanding that different people go on cruises for different reasons, the Royal is my favorite ship in the Princess fleet (I've been on both the Caribbean and the Royal). I've also been to all 3 ports you mentioned and they all have something for just about everyone. What do you guys look forward to on your upcoming cruise?

Thanks for the welcome to the Princess board.

There are several reasons for this cruise but the main one is to take a short, relaxing but fun cruise so DH can see what cruisin' is all about before we sail out of San Juan next year. He has always been apprehensive about cruising.

It is also a celebration. We were married 35 years in March.

When my TA told me about the Princess Getaway cruises, they sounded perfect for me & DH.....until it came time to tell her which cruise I wanted. Decisions!

I appreciate all the opinions!

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forums mobile app

For me, part of the pleasure of cruising is in the food. I'm not a foodie, but I love to eat. Royal has more choices for dining and noshing than Caribbean. And similar venues, such as the Horizon Court buffet area are better on the Royal than on the Caribbean (all in my humble opinion, of course).

Another major part of cruising is the ports. If you haven't already, check out the destinations' threads for tons of helpful info on each port.

Why has your DH been apprehensive about cruising?

I'm sure others will come on hear to help you make your decision. Right now, I've gotta run. There's a cruise ship out there calling me. I'll be off the boards for 9 days, but can't wait to come back and see how you're doing with your decision. I'm sure you'll have fun, no matter what.

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked a dozen times and answered.

I did try the search feature but the 100s and 100s of threads overwhelmed me! If there a secret to search to narrow threads down, please tell me how.

Background: We had a cruise out of San Juan (Celebrity) booked for December but I had an annoying visit to the ER Labor Day that led to surgery. I am doing great and should be 100% by November but DH & I decided it was probably best to postpone that cruise (and go on a shorter cruise this year)...so I transferred Celebrity to December 2015.

I have cruised once; DH never.

Now to the questions. The Caribbean Princess and Royal Princess both have Getaway cruises that leave out of Fort Lauderdale December 4. CB is 4 days and goes to Grand Cayman. Royal is 5 days and goes to Princess Cay and the Turks. Better ship? Better itinerary?

It's driving me insane!

CB for 4 days to Grand Cayman.

Royal for 5 days to Princess Cays and the Turks.

Any advice on the ships and ports is welcome!!

Thanks in advance

Dancin

I realize there are some great Princess deals in October and November but the dates interfere with DH's hunting trips. That's the reason for December 4.....

I have been on both ships. I much prefer the Royal and especially it's much better Horizon Court buffet. I also prefer longer cruises. A four day cruise would leave most people wanting more. Either itinerary will take you to a port that has a Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville restaurant. We always love the chance to have one of their Cheeseburger From Paradise meals.

If you opt for Grand Cayman and go to Margaritaville, do not have more than one of their top of the line margaritas or you might have difficulty making the walk back to the pier. Those drinks are huge.