What is snuba?

gonersgirl

I've seen it talked about on here, but I have no idea what it is!

Snuba is billed as kind of a cross between snorkling and scuba. You breathe compressed air from a scuba tank but the tank sits on a float on the surface of the ocean and you are connected to the tank via a twenty foot air line. So, you are able to dive to a maximum of twenty feet. For many reefs, that's plenty deep. I did this in Cozumel last year and it was great! Am planning to do so again this spring in Belize and Cozumel. You'll love it. You do not need to be certified to snuba.

I love snuba! We did it in the Caymans and are doing it in Belize this spring. I'm kinda chicken when it comes to deep water, snorkeling, current, etc...and I found snuba to be much less intimidating than snorkeling! You're more part of your surroundings that above them looking around and haveing waves splash water in your snorkel!! All you have 'attached' to you is a weight belt to help you sink, your mask and regulator. I liked not having the tanks strapped onto me and having them float above instead. Highly recommended!

I love snuba! We did it in the Caymans and are doing it in Belize this spring. I'm kinda chicken when it comes to deep water, snorkeling, current, etc...and I found snuba to be much less intimidating than snorkeling! You're more part of your surroundings that above them looking around and haveing waves splash water in your snorkel!! All you have 'attached' to you is a weight belt to help you sink, your mask and regulator. I liked not having the tanks strapped onto me and having them float above instead. Highly recommended!

I agree PickTown, on all counts... What cruise are you on and have you found any independent snuba operators in Belize? Am just getting up to speed on our cruise and would love some input. Will definitely snuba again with Mayan Paradise in Cozumel, but am uncertain about Belize operators.

We're going through the ship when doing snuba in Belize (Valor on 9/18). I've never been to Belize or Roatan so am doing ship sponsored activities the first time. I'm comfortable doing independent tours in Cozumel and Cayman since we've visited there a couple times. The tendering thing in Belize really had me worried. I searched for independent operators in Belize but don't think I would have used them even if I found one - - I'm a little conservative that way! Need to see things for myself! ha! Pickerington is a suburb of Columbus.

Archived