Are there any recommended Estancias near Montevideo, Uruguay?

Gary K

My cruise will dock at both Buenos Aires and Montevideo.

Buenos Aires has tons of things to see and do, and so I plan on doing things on my own using their subway system, rather than taking any cruise excursions or doing anything outside the city, like Estancias (ranches/small farms).

Therefore, I'm looking for an Estancia to visit near Montevideo instead, since that city has fewer sights to see in the city itself.

Some cruise lines like Princess use La Rabida, but that Estancia does not take reservations from individuals; they only take them from large groups (i.e. cruise lines). The problem is that with Princess, it's quite expensive (about $250 for 6 hours). Even the Buenos Aires excursion from Princess cost $129 / 9 hours, which includes a city drive, etc.

So, can anyone recommend some great Estancias around Montevideo? Preferably not more than 1 hour drive away, too, since I assume I'll have to take a taxi. Although if there's a better mode of transportation available, then I'm all for that.

I don't exactly know too much about Estancias, but I suppose I'd like to see things like gauchos/cowboy life, sheep shearing, and definitely at least a meal, like lunch, to eat there.

Thanks in advance!