Tampa Restaurants

kristi24

Hi, all.

Thanks for all of the great information on Tampa! I have a question about FOOD! My boyfriend and I will be flying in the day before our cruise and would like to go to a non-chain restaurant in Tampa that is not nescessarily a seafood place, but a place that has some seafood (grouper :) ) on their menu. We are staying at the Cortyard Marriott downtown and we aren't super concerned with cabs, as we live in Chicago and are used to the $ aspect of that!, but want a decent place to go that might be in an area where we can have drinks afterwards. Sorry so specific, just really unfamiliar with Tampa . . hopefully someone will have a suggestion out there!

Thanks!

one of the best known restaurants in tampa is the columbia in ybor city. Excellent spansih food and they do have seafood. Were last there about 5 yrs ago and had a great meal.. If price is no issue you could also consider Bern's steak house , sposed to be one of the best in the country but haven't been there myself

Have to second the suggestion of the Columbia in Ybor City. There is also a lot of night life in the area. If interested in an Irish pub, there is one not too far from the Courtyard. It has a thatched roof and all, food was good. Can't remember the name of it at present, so I'm not much help there.

You can't go wrong at Columbia or Berns. They are the 2 must try restaurants in town. Both are one of a kind places. My guess though is that you will enjoy the street scene and many options available to you in Ybor City after a meal at Columbia.

We live in the Tampa Bay area - Columbia is a very old established restaurant in Ybor City. You didn't mention what night of the week you'll be here. Ybor is quite close to the Marriott Downtown. However, I would take a taxi as you have to be cautious at night. During the day you could walk around the area without a problem I would think - we have.

If you do go to the Columbia you can do either dinner or dinner and a show. It's a Flamingo type of show. There are several restaurants and bars in the Ybor City area. You can walk between them once you get to the main strip.

Great Spainish Coffee

They serve excellent Spanish food. Prices are pretty good here.

Bern's Steak House is incredible a bit further from where you are staying. VERY PRICEY They even have a dessert only room that you can do.

There is also Ruth Chris' Steak House which is excellent. You'll spend some $$'s here as well.

Depending on how long you are staying you could also take in International Mall if you had some time to shop/eat/drink. It is out by the airport.

Have fun - ENJOY your cruise

Thanks for the fabulous advice! I think we'll be ok with the Ybor area as far as safety from what I've read. .. can't be too much different than some of the neighborhoods in Chicago!

The Columbia sounds great. If we want to go to the show, do we need to make reservations? I think we will pass on Ruth Chris' as we have one here. . . ! I am a fan of FL seafood. We just don't get the same stuff out of Lake Michigan. . .

And, if you have suggestions based on the day we will be there- we will be there on Saturday (not this Saturday, but the next!- YAY!)

Kristi,

I also recommend Berns or the Columbia.

Ybor is fine at night if you don't walk around the dark sidestreets. Stay in the well lit main parts and you'll be just fine. 7th Ave is the main street and there are lots of bars and clubs there.

Berns is the best steak house and all their food is excellent as is their wine list. It's the largest in the US and is the size of a phone book! As someone else mentioned, they have a separate dessert room.

They have a casual restaurant next door, called Berns Next Door. Excellent food in a more casual ambience. Nice bar for pre or after dinner drinks.

Jane

Yes, if you are going to go to The Columbia on a Saturday night I would definately make reservations.

It get's very busy in Ybor on Saturday's - you'll have FUN. You can eat dinner and see the show in the same area of the restaurant.

I agree you should get the Sangria their salad is very good as well.

I think it's called the 1918 salad (I may be wrong on the exact number - but you'll know it when you see it). They have wonderful desserts too.

Afterwards, you can walk down the street to other bar's and Channelside - which has bar's, restaurants and games - it's an entertainment comlex.

Normally, there are a lot of people in this area on the weekends. Late night can get dicey so be cautious.

There is an article about the Columbia in the Sept./Oct. issue of AAA Going Places magazine. If you want to see the Flamenco Show you have to specify that when you make reservations I believe, also there is an extra charge. AAA members get free Flamenco show with their card now thru Dec.15,05

Archived