Anybody do an intro to scuba program in St Kitts?

krisko

My gf and I are considering getting scuba certified and we thought we might take a intro program if there is such a thing in St Kitts. Only picking St Kitts because we have plans established at the other ports of call on our upcoming cruise. Mind you, we're not looking to get fully certified here, just a taste of scuba.

Thanks.

You are looking for something called a Discover Scuba. It is minimal instruction, but let's you try diving in a shallow pool like environment. That said, as an experienced diver- find a dive shop where you live and ask them to do a Discover Scuba. While you may not see as much (depending on where you live) it will cost a lot less (often Discover Scuba in the Caribbean costs close to full certification in the US!) and you'll know immediately if you like it or not. Most people know in their first five minutes underwater if it is something they want to do! It's a lot easier (and less expensive) to get certified at home and then get to do actual dives on your trip!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Try it at home. Save your vacation for other adventures. I am guessing your local YMCA, Community Ed or local dive shop would offer a course at half the cost and as skatermegs said if you do not feel comfortable about you will not have wasted time or money on the adventure.

I would check with these dive shops for prices.

My kids did a discover scuba course in Barbados in 2010. They were 13 and 14 at the time. I paid $99 for each of them. I'm already certified, so I only paid their "one-tank dive" price to go with them.

They received about an hour of training in the pool, then we did a 40' hard bottom dive in Carlisle Bay among the shipwrecks - very cool.

This was considerably cheaper than the cost to do a full cert. package.

As previously mentioned, the downside is that if scuba isn't your thing, you've wasted a day.