Cancelled cruise experience CCL vs RCCL

Sarah@Sea

I had to cancel two cruises in September, one on RCCL and one Carnival.

First I had a RCCL cruise booked with my sisters for my birthday, that I cancelled because I had a work opportunity come up, my sisters went without me. I did not have insurance, the rate was very low I do not mind losing the rate, however I was to get my pre-paid gratuities and taxes, port fees returned. The cruise was Sept 11-15 and I have yet to receive the refund...I wouldn't think much of it except for the experience with Carnival.

I found a great last minute rate on a Carnival cruise leaving Sept 28th, then I had a medical emergency arise on Sept 25th and it was not improved enough for me to want to risk being at sea and need care. I did have Carnival Vacation Plan Protection. I called on the 27th to cancel the cruise and my taxes and fees were already refunded to my bank account as of the 30th. WOW I have to submit a claim for the cruise fare...but it's impressive how quickly the other was refunded.

The different might be the RCCL was booked through a big box company but I had contacted them to say I would be a no show. I will contact and inquire where my refund is, esp the prepaid gratuities! I had booked directly with Carnival.

I'm on the mend, and have my eye on a cruise in early November.

I had to cancel two cruises in September, one on RCCL and one Carnival.

First I had a RCCL cruise booked with my sisters for my birthday, that I cancelled because I had a work opportunity come up, my sisters went without me. I did not have insurance, the rate was very low I do not mind losing the rate, however I was to get my pre-paid gratuities and taxes, port fees returned. The cruise was Sept 11-15 and I have yet to receive the refund...I wouldn't think much of it except for the experience with Carnival.

I found a great last minute rate on a Carnival cruise leaving Sept 28th, then I had a medical emergency arise on Sept 25th and it was not improved enough for me to want to risk being at sea and need care. I did have Carnival Vacation Plan Protection. I called on the 27th to cancel the cruise and my taxes and fees were already refunded to my bank account as of the 30th. WOW I have to submit a claim for the cruise fare...but it's impressive how quickly the other was refunded.

The different might be the RCCL was booked through a big box company but I had contacted them to say I would be a no show. I will contact and inquire where my refund is, esp the prepaid gratuities! I had booked directly with Carnival.

I'm on the mend, and have my eye on a cruise in early November.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Keep us posted on when you finally do receive the refund from Royal as well as the length of time from when you submit your claim until it is refunded. Thank you

I have 4x now used a TA verses booking direct with cruise line, so 3x out of 12 cruises (3 cancelled) and I really see no value, it's a headache...I've been on hold now for 25 min, initially told it would be 10 minute wait. And yes I've tried personal TA once also, met on FB cruise page opted to book next with her, then she began food policing me on FB and shaming me about my weight...whoa not cool, I cancelled that booking...no way would I give her my business. Anyway... the little bit of OBC I get doesn't make up for the hassle...and to top it off RCCL didn't give my sisters the OBC that should have been on the booking.

I have not contacted the Carnival ins company to begin that process...but again initially CCL wins with the prompt return of taxes and fees.