Hotel Colon, Barcelona

HappyMe_

I have contacted above hotel and and was quoted for a cathedral/view/double the price of approximately $250E.. which is approximately $37l. Canadian dollars.

This is more than I really want to pay for one nights lodging. I would like to use this hotel, is there anywhere else I can look to get a better price, however, it would have to be one that I don't put all the money up front. Or am I whistling in the dark here? Thank you

We wre in Barcelona earlier this year and stayed at the Hotel Banys Oriental. It is not fancy, but was very nice, and it is in a great location....about a three minute walk to the Catherdral. Below is an excerpt from the Conde Nast Traveller about the hotel. The price was 95 Euro (about $115) per night, including a substantial breakfast buffet.

Banys Orientals is the result of an intelligent reading of Barcelona's hotel scene by one of its savviest restauranteurs, Ramon Parellada. He saw a gap between the cheap pensiones and expensive, impersonal edifices on offer and decided to plug it with a small, fashionable, inexpensive hotel in the heart of the city. Parellada closed his successful restaurant in the Old Town district of El Born for a year, gutted the 18th-century building above it, and filled it with a minimalist 43-room hotel, retaining the old stone edifice and internal courtyard. The hotel opened in May 2002, although the promise of the name - literally Oriental Baths - has yet to be fulfilled: the pool, massage salon and steam room are due to open in the basement later this year. In the hotel, everything is kept simple and sparse, soft lighting, gunmetal-greys and black tiles contrasting with the stone and deep ochre of the façade. There are no mini-bars in the rooms and small TVs have just been added. The hotel's staff are young, eager and still learning. In the reopened restaurant, however, the desire to provide a designer experience at low-ish prices has been less successful than in the hotel itself.

Thank you very much Howard, this hotel looks very interesting.

I tried to find a website, but there does not seem to be one available. Did you book directly? I do have an email for the Hotel.

Because we are not cruising until October 2006, some places do not accept reservations, but I know most will by about September.

Thank you again for this intriguing place. You have piqued my interest.:) OOPs .. additional question please, is this hotel well within walking distance of La Rambla? .. thanks again

We stayed at the Hotel Colon in April last year, in a regular double room (it even had a balcony overlooking a side street right next to the cathedral), and it was only 160 euros. Try to accept any room available (not the premium rooms with special view). Also, we tend to travel in the Spring and Autumn, when the weather is cooler, 50-70*F, which is beautiful, and not the Summer, away from the crowds and with more discounts!

Archived