Son Matias or Santa Lucia?

Thinking of doing a cruise and stay on Dream next June and have heard good reports of both these hotels. Has anyone stayed in both? If not, any pros or cons re. either of them. (I think Jackie has stayed in Son Matias recently)

Thinking of doing a cruise and stay on Dream next June and have heard good reports of both these hotels. Has anyone stayed in both? If not, any pros or cons re. either of them. (I think Jackie has stayed in Son Matias recently)

I have no reservations about recommending Son Matias, Sheila. It did attract an older clientele when we were there in September, but very young at heart, lol. The food, buffet, was excellent, the staff as helpful and friendly as on Dream (actually more so). The entertainment was organised by one girl, Kelly, who was amazing and they had different acts in every night. The hotel has been recently refurbished and the rooms were very clean and fresh looking, with flat screen TV, UK stations, tea/coffee making, fridge and safe. Beach towels were also provided for a returnable €12. Oh, and right next to the beach which we didn't use as we could always get a comfortable sun bed or pod in the hotel pool area.

I did find it rather funny, though, to watch some people queuing up at 8.30am to wait for the staff to open the pool area up so they could reserve their favourite sun beds. And prompt at 9.00am the gates were opened. Every hour someone went round and left a ticket on sun beds with towels on them and no one there, and the next hour if the ticket was still there the towels were removed.

I had a look round Santa Lucia and it looked good too. Berwyn Thomas is there now so we will get to know what it is like from him on FB.

There were plenty of different kinds of bars, restaurants, etc outside the hotels, supermarkets, chemists and lots of "tat" shops and a lovely traffic free promenade which apparently was miles long.

I am hoping to return next year.

Edited by Jakanne1

Thank you so much Jackie. You've confirmed what I've read elsewhere. I wasn't going to book this early but when I looked yesterday there were only 3 rooms left at the Son Matias so we need to decide what we're doing, it may even be too late already. Good to know that the Santa Lucia looked ok too.

Don't mind the older clientele as we're no spring chickens ourselves, just as long as they are young at heart like you said!

I certainly won't be queuing up at 8.30am as I'm not a morning person especially on holiday! If I can't get a sunbed I will go to the beach.😀

Thanks again.

Sheila

Oh yes Jackie I remember the sunbed run in the morning it was quite hilarious. I have stayed at both but to be fair the santa lucia stay was for new year so not really warm enough to sunbathe by the pool. Son Mateus was good but we heard a fair bit of noise early hours with the clubbers returning back from magaluf along the prom back to palmanova but we still enjoyed it think we preferred son mateus it certainly seems very popular

Oh yes Jackie I remember the sunbed run in the morning it was quite hilarious. I have stayed at both but to be fair the santa lucia stay was for new year so not really warm enough to sunbathe by the pool. Son Mateus was good but we heard a fair bit of noise early hours with the clubbers returning back from magaluf along the prom back to palmanova but we still enjoyed it think we preferred son mateus it certainly seems very popular

I never heard a thing, Infoqueen, but we were on the 5th floor and kept our patio doors closed to keep the mossies out.

Thank you so much Jackie. You've confirmed what I've read elsewhere. I wasn't going to book this early but when I looked yesterday there were only 3 rooms left at the Son Matias so we need to decide what we're doing, it may even be too late already. Good to know that the Santa Lucia looked ok too.

Don't mind the older clientele as we're no spring chickens ourselves, just as long as they are young at heart like you said!

I certainly won't be queuing up at 8.30am as I'm not a morning person especially on holiday! If I can't get a sunbed I will go to the beach.

Thanks again.

Sheila

I should also have mentioned that the lunchtime snacks and drinks at the hotel were of a very good standard and reasonably priced. :). If you give me a clue as to which Sheila you are on FB I can send you some photos. I haven't mastered it on here!

Edited by Jakanne1

Thank you infoqueen, good to hear from someone who has stayed at both. We need to decide by tomorrow if we are booking otherwise there wil be no rooms left at either of them!

Stayed in this hotel a couple years back very good hotel very clean food good only comment I would say is only bottom part of bar is used for AI meaning big queues for drinks apart from that great hotel

:cool:

I have never stayed at the Santa Lucia, but I can recommend the Son Matias Beach Hotel. The location is perfect and the food standards were very high. Also, every room has sea views.

Terry

Thank you all very much for your help! Have booked it this afternoon, Mediterranean Secrets on the Dream and Son Matias Beach Hotel next June. AI was £10pppn.😀

Only been to one of the ports before so got some research to do!

Our (independent) TA was very apologetic but they couldn't beat the online price, in fact theirs was £10pp more. He said if they match the price they don't make any money on the sale at all. He was not very complimentary about Thomsons! The TA has always beaten the online price over the last few years but not this time. Booked with them anyway as they are very good and I like the security of knowing they will sort out any problems and it's just as easy as booking online. It was all done over the phone in about 10 minutes.

Well done, Sheila. I've looked for you on FB but there are too many Sheila Smiths!!! It's very possible that we might book Son Matias for a week without the cruise, we enjoyed it so much. They have a web site and a FB site too.

It's an interesting itinerary on the cruise, as well.

You won't be disappointed with Son Matias.The rooms are great- all overlooking the sea.The food is excellent.The entertainment was the best I have experienced in a hotel- mind you once the act has finished the oldies are straight off to bed!But the best part is- no kids!

Flopsy

You won't be disappointed with Son Matias.The rooms are great- all overlooking the sea.The food is excellent.The entertainment was the best I have experienced in a hotel- mind you once the act has finished the oldies are straight off to bed!But the best part is- no kids!

Flopsy

Lol, Flopsy. Didn't they have the "Race for the Lifts" at the half time break in the entertainment when you were there? The entertainment was very good but Dream was excellent.

Lol, Flopsy. Didn't they have the "Race for the Lifts" at the half time break in the entertainment when you were there? The entertainment was very good but Dream was excellent.

I didn't notice the 'race for the lifts'- many had sticks when I was there lol!

Flopsy

Think again before you book on the Thomson Dream platinum cruise, this ship is a rust bucket, an old Costa ship they are supposed to have refurbished. If you have an email address I will forward the letter I sent to Thomson's, it took them over 2 months to reply,

Thank you Midnight007 but I know what I'm letting myself in for! Been on her three times before so can't be that bad! We have never had any problems on the Dream even in the first season with Thomson when she did have some plumbing issues!