Things to do for young family (sons 3&1)

BigGooseegg

We are a young family with two boys (ages 3 and 1) and are looking for some recommendations of what to do while on our Carnival Breeze cruise this December. This is not our first time cruising with our kids, and most times in the past we have just found a beach to go to and hang out in the water, snorkel a bit, have a few drinks, etc. Wondering if there is anything like that here that is a don't miss spot?

Also, my husband mentioned the possibility of us finding an tour that drives up into the island so we can see some of the natural habitat (waterfalls, wildlife, etc). But it would have to be one that doesn't have an age minimum - since we'd be traveling with youngsters.

We are not opposed to doing something with a private tour company too -- if anyone can provide recommendations. In the past, I have found that the cruise-sponsored excursions are a little too "cattle drive" and "commercialized" for my taste.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

We just returned from our cruise a couple of weeks ago. When we were in San Juan, we booked a private tour with Charlies Custom Tours. It was absolutely the best tour we have ever taken! In four hours we saw so much more of Puerto Rico than I thought possible. The owner and tour guide,Carlos, is absolutely fantastic, and he will create a tour that matches your needs and interests. We traveled with three children including a 14 month old as well as my parents who are in their late seventies. It was fantastic!

I think the 3 year old would have more fun flying a kite on the grass at the forts.

The Bacardi tour might be OK too. There's a tram ride, a movie & the whole place is stroller friendly. They work some history into the tour too. It's not all about the booze.

While you are waiting for the tour there is a huge lawn perfect for expending energy. :)