How to Help Someone That is afraid of "the water".

lindabelll

Four of us girls are leaving on the 28th on the Valor to celebrate my mom's 75th birthday. My mom is rooming with her youngest sister who "is only going on this cruise because it's my mom's birthday", "you know I'm afraid of the water":eek: . I've tried to reassure her how safe it is to cruise. As we get closer and closer to the date, she's getting more and more anxious. Is there anything you can think of I can tell her that might help. I'm sure once she's onboard she'll be fine. She has no idea how large the ship is. I'm afraid she'll be "white knuckling" it all the way to the ship. :o

She will be fine, tell her the Ship looks like a MALL inside, besides you can spend 7 days out at sea and never look out into the ocean.

The only problem you will have, if the ship Tenders out, forget about getting her off the ship.

She will be fine, tell her the Ship looks like a MALL inside, besides you can spend 7 days out at sea and never look out into the ocean.

The only problem you will have, if the ship Tenders out, forget about getting her off the ship.

You're right. I've told her if she doesn't go on deck, she'll never know she's on a ship. We've already decided we're not going ashore. All four of us have visited these islands in the past. Besides, she's bringing 8 bathing suits. Think she wants to sit around the pool???:confused:

MrPeteli

That is funny, I used to be a hot air balloon pilot ( still am but have not flown for 20 years ). Took a psychologist up once, she returned with a couple of patients that were afraid of heights. I flew them as well as therapy.

I wonder if it is the same with Cursing?

In Ballooning, you are so disconnected from the ground that flying feels like the most natural thing in the world, I suppose a Cruise ship might be like that.

I will find out :)

Have her take some sea sick medicine if she is worried about the motion before you get to the ship. I have never heard of a cruise ship sinking-since the Titanic! The ship is like a small town. When you board, you might want to keep her busy and I bet she won't even realize the ship has sailed! Also let her know they do conduct safety drills and that there is a life vest right in her cabin (maybe that wouldn't be reassuring?)

Scared yes... but once off the ground... they realise thier fear of heights does NOT kick in.

I was half scared to death standing on the top of Half Dome looking down, my own fear of heights. With ballooning it is..... different.

I dont think I can describe it, you arent connected to the ground, you are a natual part of the sky, it feels like that anyway. No breeze, you are moving with it, the air is dead still to you, even if you are moving.

Try it, but be careful, my second flight was in training in my own balloon, it is an easy thing to fall in love with.

But your friend reminded me of that, After reading hundreds of posts, I decided we might as well get a balcony on our first Curise. We will start out spoiled I guess :D

We can hardly wait, but it is still a long way away.

I was half scared to death standing on the top of Half Dome looking down, my own fear of heights. With ballooning it is..... different.

I dont think I can describe it, you arent connected to the ground, you are a natual part of the sky, it feels like that anyway.

I don't get you guys. My husband has such a fear of heights that he can hardly cross a big bridge in a car, yet he is retired from the USAF, 20+ years, many of which he spent as a flight engineer, logging THOUSANDS of miles between the US and southeast Asia and back.

I don't get you guys. My husband has such a fear of heights that he can hardly cross a big bridge in a car, yet he is retired from the USAF, 20+ years, many of which he spent as a flight engineer, logging THOUSANDS of miles between the US and southeast Asia and back.

What's not to get?

I too am terrified of heights and I don't much care for flying but put me in a military aircraft and strap a parachute to my back and I'm right as rain.

Have her take some sea sick medicine if she is worried about the motion before you get to the ship. I have never heard of a cruise ship sinking-since the Titanic! The ship is like a small town. When you board, you might want to keep her busy and I bet she won't even realize the ship has sailed! Also let her know they do conduct safety drills and that there is a life vest right in her cabin (maybe that wouldn't be reassuring?)

I'm thinking it will be the muster drill that will freak her out the most.

PAXIL - the great anti-anxiety pill!:)

Seriously, your aunt could ask her doctor to prescribe a few mild tranquilizers. Once she gets ON the ship, she probably won't need them anymore. I did this the first time I flew; I was TERRIFIED of flying. Took 1 pill a couple of hours before the flight, it helped a lot, and I've never had to take one again and have flown many times since.

Is there anything you can think of I can tell her that might help. I'm sure once she's onboard she'll be fine. She has no idea how large the ship is. I'm afraid she'll be "white knuckling" it all the way to the ship. :o

I doubt there is much you can say other than how large the ships are. I'd talk about the shopping and the restaurants, the theaters and shows; things that one doesn't usually associate with a "ship".

She may very well "white knuckle it" all the way down to the port. Keep the conversation away from ships and water. Talk about the ports you're going to visit.

I'm sure once she gets on board and sees how large it is she'll be fine. The unknown is always the greatest source of anxiety.

In case she might also be having thoughts about being seasick, maybe she should take a Bonine (non-drowsy) a coupla hours before boarding the ship, and one every night just before she goes to sleep. I do that, and it works. Don't want her getting queasy along with her anxiety...or then she could say "I TOLD you I didn't want to come on this cruise.";)

I'm thinking it will be the muster drill that will freak her out the most.

Oh my Gosh that's what I was thinking too. All the hustle and bustle getting there, she'll probably be blowing her whistle through the whole thing out of sheer terror! Don't tell her about rogue waves.

Just Kidding....

She may really like Cozumel, and you just walk off the ship. Tell her she can get a great picture of the ship/s from the shop area.

Have a wonderful time, and please post when you get back about how it went.

Ms B

I too have a fear of water, when I was 10 or 11 my grandfather and uncles took me out in a fishing boat in the middle of a pond and decided i was going to learn to swim....right then. Needless to say throwing me out of the boat in the middle of the pond was not the way to do it, but they were drinking moonshine and that makes everything ok....LOL Well as I was sinking they finally firgured out, that I definetly couldn't swim....LOL Ever since them water and me do not jive. But on a cruise ship it is no problem, no I don't care to stand by the rails and getting on tenders makes me a little nervous. I am so bad if water starts to get over my head I panic, which is very funny in an old fat man I guess....LOL But I still love to cruise and as long as I know where the life jackets are I guess I will be ok... Your family member should be ok once they are on the ship it is so big that I never really notice we are even on the water(ok, exceot for standing by the rails).

Archived