Conquest On The Mississippi......

TexJan's Hubby

just wondering what it's going to be like cruising down the big muddy when the conquest leaves NOLA. Departure is always fun, but this is so different than what we have done in the past. Is there plenty to see, don't misses, so forth? Is it a "must do" on our balcony and maybe miss the first dining? An adult beverage, cigar, feet propped up....?

Bored At Work,

Mike

just wondering what it's going to be like cruising down the big muddy when the conquest leaves NOLA. Departure is always fun' date=' but this is so different than what we have done in the past. Is there plenty to see, don't misses, so forth? Is it a "must do" on our balcony and maybe miss the first dining? An adult beverage, cigar, feet propped up....?

Bored At Work,

Mike[/quote']

Mike, the Conquest leaves the dock at 6:00 PM. The first hour downriver there will be a good bit to see. ie: New Orleans French Quarter; a couple of plantation homes;Jackson Barracks; Chalmette battlefield, etc. After that, not a whole lot. Around midnight you will begin to see the offshore rigs/platforms. You really should try to make the first night's dining. You will need to see if you like your table and dining mates.

As a side-note, my sister and I were born and raised in Odessa. She graduated from OHS in 1970 I think. I moved to La. and finished HS here.

;) Mike,You can miss it!!!You might luck up & see the pilot boat come along side the boat.Every now & then you'll see the lights from oil rigs.It takes about

six hours if I'm not mistaken to get down the Mississippi.It will be good &dark:eek:

Once you leave NO there's not much to see.

Enjoy your cruise:)

Mike, the Conquest leaves the dock at 6:00 PM. The first hour downriver there will be a good bit to see. ie: New Orleans French Quarter; a couple of plantation homes;Jackson Barracks; Chalmette battlefield, etc. After that, not a whole lot. Around midnight you will begin to see the offshore rigs/platforms. You really should try to make the first night's dining. You will need to see if you like your table and dining mates.

As a side-note, my sister and I were born and raised in Odessa. She graduated from OHS in 1970 I think. I moved to La. and finished HS here.

Will my experience be the same whilst on the Sensation?

As a side-note, do they still have the Waffle House in Odessa?

Will my experience be the same whilst on the Sensation?

As a side-note, do they still have the Waffle House in Odessa?

Yes and Yes.:D

The Sensation leaves at 4:00PM so it will be daylight a little longer while you are traveling downriver.

My favorite "sight" when cruising down the Mississippi river on the Sensation was when we passed the Conquest. It was late and we were near the mouth of the river.

She looked close enough to touch and talk about huge. Also waving to the people who were on their way home while we were just starting out was a guilty pleasure.

It was one of the highlights of our trip.

Just FYI... you will have a lot of side-to-side movement as you travel downriver due to all the turns in the river and the speed of the ship. If you tend to get seasick, take your med's when you board. It will not be as bad going upriver.

We just got back from the Sensation. One of the things I was looking forward to was passing the Conquest on the Mississippi. DD (21 and a new drinker) had let a couple of fruity drinks slip up on her and I was sitting with her on the aft deck around 9:30. I wasn't expecting the Conquest until 11:00 or after but all of a sudden there she is. So, I got to see her as she passed but I had hoped to be on the front of the ship to see her coming. I, too, noticed the boat motion on the Mississippi and wondered about that! However, no seasickness the entire voyage for any of us. I have been seasick on small boats and my son was seasick on another cruise when he was a child. Now that I think about it, I think he was actually feeling ill from the dramamine, not the motion. I did chew some ginger gum one night but that was more from trouble with indigestion and over abundance of fruity drink! So, I think our gamble paid off...no medication and no nausea!

Donna

Oh, and the difference in the time of us passing the Conquest was that we left port later than scheduled. I don't know what time...we were supposed to leave at 4:00. We had to make our 5:45 dinner seating so we left the deck about 5:20 and by the time we got to dinner, we were on our way but I don't know for how long!

Donna

We live right on the river, and on Sunday evening my kids go jump on the trampoline in the back yard and wait to see the Conquest pass. It's MUCH more exciting during winter when it's already dark when it passes and we can see all the lights.

Archived