New to P&O - Requesting Hints & Advice

Nachman101

Hi All

Just returned from our first cruise on Carnival and are booked for our first P & O cruise to Fiji April 2015 from Brisbane on the Pacific Dawn and would really appreciate any advice regarding this cruise. We are booked in for a suite (suite number 11115). We are travelling as a couple, no children who love good music, good entertainment, snorkeling, fishing and relaxation.

Food & Drinks

What is the room service menu like, as Carnival's was sadly lacking?

Can you take food and drink from the buffet back to your room?

Does the breakfast menu change from day to day as Carnival's was predominately egg, beans and bacon?

What free drinks are provided at breakfast, lunch and dinner?

What is the average price of a glass of white wine?

Is there "anytime dining" on the Dawn?

A review of all the restaurants wold be appreciated

Miscellaneous

Can you take a power board with you - Carnival had to check ours?

How soon after you check in is your luggage delivered to your cabin?

What are the computer packages like?

ANY advice re this cruise would be sincerely appreciated - on shore tours, day to day activities etc, etc, etc!

MANY thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We recently (july) complete the identical cruise that you have booked. We were in a Full Suite (11111) so there is a difference between a suite and a full suite.

First off, you get priority boarding. Drop off luggage, there is priority queue for Suite passengers and your boarding pass means you are on board very qjuickly - think we were in cabin at 10.45. The full suite has a large balcony, with lounges and table and chairs. Cabin is large - King bed, walk in dressing room and marble bathroom. Lounge and 2 chairs, coffee machine, music pod, safe and refrfig. lots,lots of hanging space. 2 TV.s. Flowers, and champaign on arrival with fresh fruit bowl every day. You can have high tea each afternoon - just too much and on formal night you get champers and savouries at about 5.00pm. Anytime dining and personal attention from head staff. Priority tender tickets for islands. Invite to Ship's Officers cocktail party (much better than Captain's) and free photo with Captain. Priority disembarkation when you arrive home and you are thru customs in no time. Free laundry and water. This is for a FULL suite. - hope it is of some help but you can contact me if you care for more info. Welll worth the extra expense

Brilliant - thank you so very much for your helpful reply! Just checked the deck plan and we are going to be in the suite next to the one your were in in July! Sounds absolutely fabulous - just a couple of quick questions:

Is it OK to take food and drink back to your cabin and what is the breakfast menu like? I have looked everywhere on the P & O site regarding power boards but still are not sure if you are allowed to bring one onboard? On Carnival my luggage was delayed being delivered to our room as I had a power board in my suitcase. Do you have any suggestions regarding shore tours?

Thanks again for all your much needed hints and advice.

Edited by Nachman101

Hi Nachman

When you say "Can you take a power board with you - Carnival had to check ours?"

What do you mean by "Check ours"? Do you mean confiscate or do an electrical check of the power board?

In other posts recently, people were saying that Carnival were confiscating power boards but my TA can't get anything out of Carnival to confirm or deny the information.

I was on Pacific Jewel late last year and power boards were not an issue.

You can get room service so there should not be an issue with taking food and drink back. I never did it personally.

Breakfasts daily were mainly like you said, eggs, bacon, beans, sausages, but there was a slight variation from day to day. Plenty of cereal and fruit etc.

The only free drinks we got with breakfast, or any other meal for that matter, were coffee, tea, water and juices. There were drinks waiters selling soft drinks and beers etc during the meal times.

On our first P&O cruise, our luggage was in our cabin shortly after boarding. The last cruise we had to go searching as they ended up delivering it to the wrong deck level. We got it just before Sailaway.

Hope this helps.

Just found the answer to my own question.

NON surge protected power boards are allowed after they have been checked out.

You can take a power board (must be in good condition) onboard for charging your gadgets, but it must be in good working order and must NOT have a surge protector. All Power boards will be inspected and if deemed safe, returned to you later that day. Power boards deemed a hazard will be confiscated and you will be offered a loan power board.

Edited by Greensteam

I believe that the full breakfast menu is available in your cabin and the service is free (I think) We did not use it. I took food to the cabin without any problems and see lots of passengers with coffee and couple of pastries making their way back to cabins. The Nespresso machine in your cabin has a container with 8 different varieties, topped up each day with fresh milk put in your fridge

Hi everyone

Thanks so very much for your informative replies. Carnival were confiscating power boards that did not meet their standard of no surge protector. Not sure if they replaced the ones they confiscated with loan power boards for the duration of the cruise, but what a nice gesture by P & O. I played it safe by putting a luggage tag on my board and placing it in the outside suitcase pocket, unlocked.

Just a very quick question regarding the free laundry service offered to suite passengers - does this include pressing/ironing? (I hate ironing with a vengeance!)

Thanks everyone

Cheers

Yvonne:)

Laundry service did include drying, pressing, on hangar at return.

I always ordered a bottle of wine with lunch and took the 1/2 empty bottle back to the room to drink with the canapes when they arrived.

Specialty restaurants, I can recommend them all - one major problem with La luna though, the set course menu is too much food!