Booking through Royal or other agents?

Fnigro07

I had always booked travel from a brick and mortar TA. Although his service was excellent I never received anything from them. I later was referred to another TA (not on-line.) and was give not only OBC but excellent service. For example we are sailing on Celebrity next week for a 7 night Carribean cruise. Originally I chose the beverage package promo but since we are not drinkers I called our TA and asked to switch to one of the other promos. (prior to final payment) They not only were able to change that and retain the OBC offered by Celebrity but included another $100 OBC courtesy of the TA. The best part was that my cruise cost was reduced by $100.00. Even today as the prices have declined my total for the cruise is less than the new promotional pricing including all taxes and insurance. Our total now is $2100 for both of us in a 1A cabin which is about $200 more for their best rate - same category not including insurance. Our TA has this booked as a group tour so I guess they are giving back their savings to customers.

I went through a travel agent. We chose a cruise, i paid her.... she didn't say anything about waiting to pay in full invade there was a price drop. Actually didn't tell me anything at all. So next time, I'll do it myself!!!

It doesn't matter when you pay in full, if there is a price drop before the final payment date you can get it re-priced. Of course you need to make there is no service fee when they touch your reservation.

All 75 of my cruises, lots of All-inclusive resorts, private tours, etc., have been booked through the same travel agent. No service fees, just good personal service. I certainly don't expect my TA to give me $ out of her commissions, but I have received some perks through the consortium that her agency belongs to. Maybe a combination of OBC, a free shore excursion, bottle of wine, etc. She shows me a list of sailings that have these offers from RCI, Celebrity, Crystal, Princess, NCL and others that have perks for select sailings on future cruises. Since I'm retired, I can go the week before or after to get the perks if I wish to.

I don't know how others do it, but I can't monitor my future cruises for price drops because most of the time it happens when I'm out of the country or on a cruise. My TA automatically re-prices them and I see a credit on my credit card, or sometimes she moves us up a few categories. I'm an easy client, no big demands, no complaining, and I know how to resolve issues while on-board if needed.

On another note, I'm probably an outlier here because I like the idea of having my travel commissions she earns coming to my community. During my career, I never had to give back any of my pay, why should she? Cruise fares are already too competitive.

The way my DW and I view TA's is why let someone else control your vacation. When you book with a TA, they own the booking. They require you to pay off the cruise earlier then RCI, they are not very understanding about changes that may occur and if you want to cancelle they will charge you a fee to cancel your cruise. And besides they cant give you a better price then RCI. So why have all of that heartburn?

The way my DW and I view TA's is why let someone else control your vacation. When you book with a TA, they own the booking. They require you to pay off the cruise earlier then RCI, they are not very understanding about changes that may occur and if you want to cancelle they will charge you a fee to cancel your cruise. And besides they cant give you a better price then RCI. So why have all of that heartburn?

used an online TA for our last 6 cruises. We have booked and canceled several times along the way. Never a problem.

its true that the cruise price is the same but the OBC is always the perk we look for with the TA

Edited by limoguy1

We've gotten thousands of dollars in obc and other perks simply by making the same reservation elsewhere. I've gotten price drops and have used onboard bookings as well with little heart burn. It's worth it to me, though I understand not for everyone.

SamFritz-I am very curious-what is your profession that you feel so strongly about putting down all travel agents

Why would it matter what his profession is? I really didn't see where he puts down all travel agents. He's relating his bad experiences with TAs, which is in response to the original question.