Dawn drop off: Pier or Street?

dongordon

My kids are driving us to the pier. We plan on arriving at about 11:30 AM.

Should I have them drop us off directly at the pier or across the street and walk over. We are each bringing two pieces of luggage.

How long a wait is there to drive directly up to the pier?

I suppose the pick up should definately be across the street...correct?

Don

My kids are driving us to the pier. We plan on arriving at about 11:30 AM.

Should I have them drop us off directly at the pier or across the street and walk over. We are each bringing two pieces of luggage.

How long a wait is there to drive directly up to the pier?

I suppose the pick up should definately be across the street...correct?

Don

Correct 49th and 12th - They should be able to stand on 49th until you get out of the pier.

Drop off - depends on the traffic and number of ships. The problem is not once you are in the pier area it is making the loop if you are north bound or the backup south bound if there are a lot of ships.

At 11:30 you will still have some passengers trying to get out of the pier as well as those trying to get in.

This is what south bound looked like on fleet week noon :D

westside529.jpg.92a23cbe6bff733aa4361fadb9550470.jpg

Shoreguy,

Sorry, did you mean that they should drop us off across the street (49th and 12th)?

If so, do you need to take an elevator up or are you on the right level for dropping off the luggage?

Don

Elevator up - there is a crosswalk right there that brings you to the south edge of pier 88. There are elevators right there to take you up one level where you can check your bags.

And I assume, reverse the procedure at pick-up...correct?

Don

I always get picked up there. My driver usually finds a spot just around the corner on 49th. A quick cell call and we are out of there,

Inbound if the traffic looks ok you have the option of entering the pier and getting dropped off on the second level.

It is always easier in my view to get dropped off since you call pull into any open space. Pick up you fight for hole to keep a sharp eye for the car you are waiting for. Much easier to go down and across the street and get out of there.

I always get picked up there. My driver usually finds a spot just around the corner on 49th. A quick cell call and we are out of there,

Inbound if the traffic looks ok you have the option of entering the pier and getting dropped off on the second level.

It is always easier in my view to get dropped off since you call pull into any open space. Pick up you fight for hole to keep a sharp eye for the car you are waiting for. Much easier to go down and across the street and get out of there.

I will have my daughter drop me off at the pier and pick me up on the street upon return.

What time does the Crown depart for Bermuda...is it the same time as the Dawn? The pier was very crowded when I went in February...it must be worse now!

Don

With just the Dawn and Crown in port it should not be too bad. Both ships depart about the same time. The Crown usually arrives in the morning before the Dawn.

If you are concerned there is always the option to arrive after 12:30 all of the inbound passengers are gone and most of the outbound should be inside.

Play it by ear. Enjoy the Dawn.

My BF and I dropped his parents off at the pier on 8/21 for their Dawn cruise, so here are my observations.

We arrive at 12th Avenue (and 41st) at about 11:50. At about 11:57 we had dropped them off right in front of the Dawn. We were fortunate because there was very little traffic. I would suggest to gauge it when you get there. If traffic seems heavy then walk across if not just get dropped off.

Other than that, they called us about 30 minutes later indicating they just got to their room (one of the AFT suites).

Good luck and happy cruising.

Archived