Chichen Itza Excursion Niew Amsterdam

Cruisetrekker

I'm going on record to say 8 hours would not be possible from Cozumel (except via airplane). Figure an hour for the ferry to PDC, and then a solid 3 hours to CI... so 4 hours in transit each way... leaving no time at the site. There are only 2 ways to get there from PDC, the toll road (involving driving up to Cancun and then west) or via Coba (involving driving south to Tulum and then west). There is no new road other than the toll road. Are closer ruins (Coba or Tulum) being substituted?

Well, if the excursion is cruise sponsored, they will get you there and back in time for the ship to sail. How they do that in 8 hrs with time to tour is beyond me. We were just in Riv Maya and there is no new "super-highway" or anything, just the toll road (which is a nice road, but still a long ride) or the road through/past Coba. Gosh we went to Coba from Tulum and it took about an hour and a half just to get there, and Chichen was still another hour ride. No thanks.

Ifyou really want to do it, and book through the cruise line, go ahead. Know you'll be in transit for a lot of hours with little time to see the ruins.

I just read the excursion from the Holland America site and it says it's an 8 hr motorcoach tour...from Cozumel as a port.....with 3 hrs of a tour at CI. No way. Not possible. If it is, please come back on here and tell us how they did it.

Since the ship is in port for 13 hours I can see how the trip would be possible, but the information on it being only 8 hours round trip.... I'd like to see the math on that one. You would have to fly in at least one direction to make that happen.

Let's just say that I would not be making any dinner reservations that night.

It is 4 hours by boat and bus each way, plus whatever time they give you at the site. If you leave COZ at 10:30, assuming you really get 3 hours off the bus, you'll be back around 9:30 p.m.

Since the ship is in port for 13 hours I can see how the trip would be possible, but the information on it being only 8 hours round trip.... I'd like to see the math on that one. You would have to fly in at least one direction to make that happen.

Let's just say that I would not be making any dinner reservations that night.

It is 4 hours by boat and bus each way, plus whatever time they give you at the site. If you leave COZ at 10:30, assuming you really get 3 hours off the bus, you'll be back around 9:30 p.m.

Agreed! Interested to see how this goes!