Driving around the entire island?

BaltoTraveler

Anyone know how long it takes to drive the whole circuit around the island?

We'll be there in the later part of December, and I'm assuming all the post-hurricane issues will be resolved. So we'll be renting a car, doing some snorkeling at Dzul Ha, and checking out the beaches and beach bars to the south (San Francisco, Palancar) and east (Chen Rio, Mezcalitos). Maybe check out the ruins at San Gervasio if there's time.

Our time in port is 9:00 - 6:00, with the rental car place a block from the ship's dock. I don't think we should have any problems, but I'm just wondering what our driving time is.

Do not count on the road being open when you come. I have heard and gotten very conflicting reports about the date it will open. I spoke with a government offical that says 2 weeks. The paper has no idea. The horseback ranch says end of the year. Guard at checkpoint says "mucho tiempo". But if it is open, plan on a couple of hours with all your stops.

We drove around the whole island and gad plenty of time. Stopped and swam at a few places, went for drinks at Coconuts and made a few other stops. Then we stopped in town for some shopping. I hope they open the road soon, it is a nice ride and I REALLY hope they reopen Coconuts!

Archived