Questions for a family Fantasy Cruise!

Tenga1899

Hey CC family,

Back on the boards in prep for my next cruise on the Fantasy next May and I have a few questions that I know my CC friends can answer! For me, I am in my second year of residency and want a real vacation finally. I originally planned to go with at least my girlfriend and her son, who are long-time friends and neighbors and we have quickly expanded to include her parents and mine. I'm now taking 6 first time cruisers with me and maybe more pending but it is going to be totally awesome! They are all family to me and I want to make it special for all of them and have a few questions about our cruise.

1) My parents are both now new retirees and this will be their first time out of the country in any form. I'm thinking about getting a Bon-Voyage Congrats package for them...any other ideas to mark their retirement and also their first international excursion? Any specific activity suggestions? TIA!

2) My GF son will be 6 and she thinks he'll be fine with either Camp Carnival or simple pool days. He's big into gators and outdoors things and will probably flip over being on a large ship. He's a big fan of Yoo-Hoo, anybody know if this is on-board? I don't remember seeing it but if it isn't, I know he'll be overwhelmed by his other options lol.

3) Likely to do beach days in Freeport and Nassau; any other family friendly ideas? My last cruise to these locations was a post-graduation cruise and decidedly not family-friendly lol

4) I have never cruised with a group this size. Had a great time with a large group from my last cruise thanks to the Roll Call, but what have people found the best for keeping in touch on board with a family if everyone splits off to do their own thing? I see from the boards that Freedom is trying out a social media plan, but there is no guarantee it will be expanded to Fantasy by that time so I am not counting on messaging as an option... We have radios, do those work well across ship?

5) On a side note, with the Fantasy, after the waterworks upgrade, did they get rid of shuffleboard? It was technically challenging to "play the curve" as the Sensation rolled over waves lol and I am sailing with some bon-a-fide corn-hole and horse-shoe players that will be all over it!

Thanks guys, I'm 6ish months out and so excited to take so many first-timers with me and also so much family! I appreciate your help!

Doc E. :cool:

Edited by Tenga1899

Hello, Doc E:

You're going to have a great time! I've been on this cruise several times. If you and your family are coming into Charleston the day before, may I suggest you start the pre-cruise fun with a trip the the aquarium? Pretty sure I saw some alligators the last time I was there. As for something special for your parent's celebration, why don't you consider decorating the door with some copies of their wedding pictures, tape on some streamers and ribbons, and maybe some symbolic tokens of love? (You sound like a very caring son, and I'm sure you can come up with a way to beat them to their cabin ) I've have ordered cabin decorations in the past for others, and have had them ordered by others for DH and me, and I can assure you, it is ALWAYS delightful to walk into a room to be surprised with a celebration banner, balloons, and streamers!

When you get to Nassua, please consider a visit to Ardastra Gardens. http://www.ardastra.com/ It is fun for young and old!

DH and I are big snorkelers, and I find May is still pretty cool for the water in the Bahamas. Besides, its always good to have a plan B just in case. I'm sure you'll be checking out the Bahamas board for more info. But ask away- I'll be glad to answers any questions. And I understand your excitement- I have two cruises lined up for 2015.

Liz

Thanks Liz,

We're probably going to come on the day of, we are about 90 minutes from Charleston now but used to live just up the Cooper River so we are excited to take a cruise from "home." My cruises to date have been graduation celebrating with friends so I'm looking forward to a bit more R&R with family this time. The Ardastra Gardens do sound interesting, I'll have to look into it more as animals are a big draw with the little one. We were also looking at just beach days because we are all lake people and give us a little watering hole to swim in and all is well lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums