Norovirus risk?

JRos

According to a credible, peer-reviewed medical article I read a few months ago (I will search for the cite), basic Purell will not kill the norovirus, period. It simply isn't strong enough to penetrate the virus shell. Nor will washing your hands in 100-110 F water, although doing so washes away perhaps 50% of the viral load on your hands, which is certainly better than nothing. Notably, Purell's Advanced (i.e. stronger) formulation does kill norovirus, but after using it a few times last winter, I doubt I would use it again. I found it exceptionally harsh on my skin, especially on my knuckles--far more than basic Purell. This same article also noted how persistent norovirus is. By sneeze, it is transmitted long distances and remains contagious on surfaces for days, not mere hours. Still, your calculations seem sound. The vast majority of people do not get it, but when they do, it can be quite debilitating.

You are correct. The procedure I outlined is the NSF recommenations for food service workers. If you start digging into why they recommend it, it is to lower the number of viral cells (be it from noro or salmonella, or what have you) rather than kill all of them. They also specifically address hand sanitizers (and notes that they should not be used in lieu of handwashing, but if used - done after appropriate handwashing). Every line kitchen in the world will have a red bucket under the prep station filled with a pre-mixed solution (as in, the concentrate is hooked up to the water line, and when you turn on that valve - it mixes the concentrate and water, so you can't adjust the ppm) of sanitizer that is stronger than purell. A line cook is constantly sticking his hands in there (as he wipes his station down), so between proper handwashing and the sani bucket, he's reducing the viral load even further.

However, most people entering the buffet line aren't thinking/acting like a line cook that has been through safety & sanitation training. Heck, 50% of males and 25% of females in the country don't wash their hands leaving the bathroom. I'm not as concerned with noro as I am with the other forms of foodborne illness that are more easily killed. The only thing we (as consumers) can do is lower our chances by practicing our own proper hygiene.

Edited by phrogpilot73