another money making racket

paddys dad

I am flying with Thomson on Saturday, I haven't booked my seat and I am not that fussed about the food or drink aspect. I will have a couple of drinks in the airport lounge before hand and I don't mind paying for a few on boad either, its not like I am going on a bender and need to load up with as much alcohol as possible. Inflight meals are also pretty much a let down 90% of the time so I don't feel I am missing out there much either.

There is also the added bonus that I may not get seated next to my wife! :D She is such a bloody fidget. I might even get a nap in! Either way, its only 20ish hours of my life, I am sure I can slum it for short space of time.

You're absolutely spot on Spikey M. We all pay at some point. When flying Virgin/BA/Air France (whatever), the cost of choosing/pre-booking your seat is factored into the overall cost of the flight. Whether you choose to pre-book your seat or not, you have still 'paid' for the option. Same policy with complimentary beverages and snacks. On scheduled flights, you pay for them regardless of whether you take them or not.

What the charters do is offer you a menu of options. If you don't wish to pre-book your seats, then don't; it will keep your costs down. If you don't want a drink or a snack, then don't have any; again, it will keep your costs down. At that point, you, the passenger, are in control of your 'spend'.

Carriers know us very well; they know what percentage of passengers will want to pre-book seats, or have drinks or snacks; and then they offer the appropriate pricing options.

If that is the case how come a scheduled flight with Air France to Cancun with all the extras factored in was CHEAPER than a charter flight with Thomson/Thomas Cook etc :confused:

If I remember correctly Virgin recently changed their policy and you have to pay to pre-book seats unless you have frequent flyer status. BA is the same, I've just flown longhaul with BA for work and even in business class I couldn't pre-book a seat for free because I didn't have sufficient status. G.

If I remember correctly Virgin recently changed their policy and you have to pay to pre-book seats unless you have frequent flyer status. BA is the same, I've just flown longhaul with BA for work and even in business class I couldn't pre-book a seat for free because I didn't have sufficient status. G.

That sounds to me like a way around EU rules concerning advertised air fares. My understanding is advertised fares should include all costs. If you have to pay extra to book a seat and it (seat booking) isn't optional it should be shown in the advertised price.