Nov 1 2014 - Explorer to Fla from NY, Lifeboat Crashes

After lunch we made our way back to Pedro’s and the taxi parking lot where there is a pathway down to the beach level that is not too steep. The sign warning about cameras and cell phones seemed to be gone also. In any case, no photos from this point. Club O was crowded and we had to walk almost the length of the property to find loungers that had no towels or reservation tags on them. People staying at Club O always have priority for the loungers. We stayed until a little after three when the wind came up along with a few sprinkles so we quickly packed up and hiked back to the taxi area where we got a cab and headed back to town.

Some more pictures.

ExplorerRepo294_zps51f22169.jpg

ExplorerRepo296_zps2fdec284.jpg

ExplorerRepo299_zps2779f67b.jpg

Instead of driving into the pier area as has been done for years, the cab left us off just outside the pier area and we entered thru an opening in the fence, showing our ID. Seems more efficient and the cabbie can get moving faster to grab another fare.

ExplorerRepo303_zpsebc840c2.jpg

ExplorerRepo304_zps6de21b3b.jpg

The weather was good here in Phillipsburg and the ships in port looked nice with the setting sun, even the Epic. Since the front half of deck 4, port side, was now accessible, I stopped here on the way to the cabin to get as close as I could up to the rope barrier and grab shots of the wounded lifeboat and it’s support cables holding it in place. I so wanted to step over the rope barrier but knew if I did, security would not be happy. So I acted my age...and gimped away after taking the shots.

ExplorerRepo309_zpsd6f157cc.jpg

ExplorerRepo310_zpsca55aa01.jpg

ExplorerRepo311_zpsf509bc5e.jpg

ExplorerRepo312_zpsbde0ba3c.jpg

ExplorerRepo313_zps58892de9.jpg

ExplorerRepo317_zpsa09d5ecf.jpg

While we were getting ready for the evening, I stood on the balcony and watched the sail-away of the Oasis and the Epic.

ExplorerRepo417_zpsd9fb49ea.jpg

ExplorerRepo430_zps8b71060a.jpg

ExplorerRepo431_zps5f54ac78.jpg

ExplorerRepo440_zpsa1675a38.jpg

I bet those two people at the top rear of Epic don't know their pictures are on the internet.

ExplorerRepo445_zpsb4a7932b.jpg

ExplorerRepo448_zpsaa14b64a.jpg

Edited by The Big Booper

Tonight is Love and Marriage and we wanted to see how EFT and Leigh would handle it. Not to worry, a great job with three good couples. Of course, with this on board crowd, there were no young people as contestants. I miss that, slightly sloshed 20 somethings up there, quickly sobering up at the thought that they were going to have to talk about something, well, maybe embarrassing, and no idea how the spouse would answer. That is evil fun.Yeah!

ExplorerRepo1876_zps400f293a.jpg

ExplorerRepo1939_zps01807fc8.jpg

I'm not saying what these stick figure drawings are.:D

ExplorerRepo1941_zpscbfd5586.jpg

ExplorerRepo1942_zpsd2e104ea.jpg

ExplorerRepo1943_zps3e8d4028.jpg

Later in the evening we had our first encounter with The Couple. They always wore complementary outfits and looked great. They are an older couple married 5 years and she makes many of her dresses and his and her accessories. We had not seen them up to this point, but after tonight we seemed to run into them constantly. So there will be pictures of them in all their sartorial greatness scattered throughout the rest of this write-up. Enjoy

ExplorerRepo1944_zps044ddc88.jpg

ExplorerRepo1947_zpsae28991d.jpg

And DS makes fun of us because we always wear matching tee shirts on vacation; hah, we have been totally outclassed!

Day 6

Antigua. The day started out sunny with soft fluffy clouds and we decided to get off, do some walking and shopping at the pier and see how the weather developed. We had been to Antigua many times and were not in any hurry to go to a beach if the weather turned bad. After our errands on land and my daily lifeboat picture we got back on for lunch and an afternoon on the pool deck, first time this trip. It was good to see a line dancing session, a little bit of normalcy after the bad weather of the first few days. We also ran across The Couple in a fine display of daytime elegance. We realized that they were far more into clothes matching then us. Looked great.

ExplorerRepo451_zps7773410b.jpg

Drat. He always reminded me the first few times, "Make sure you get my shoes". I messed up here.

ExplorerRepo452_zps61a8e9df.jpg

ExplorerRepo455_zps3cf8f4f0.jpg

ExplorerRepo460_zpscaa3c483.jpg

ExplorerRepo463_zps74b04605.jpg

ExplorerRepo462_zps78b8d426.jpg

Edited by The Big Booper

ExplorerRepo465_zpsf2e516de.jpg

Another cookie picture.

ExplorerRepo466_zps102d057d.jpg

ExplorerRepo466b_zps094b89ac.jpg

Line dancing.

We eventually went back to our cabin and while getting ready for evening activities I looked outside the window and saw that Mother Nature was putting on a show for us, starting with a glorious sunset with the Moon as a fantastic main attraction.

ExplorerRepo467_zps969241a9.jpg

ExplorerRepo468_zps6c56606c.jpg

ExplorerRepo469_zps0e367578.jpg

We started out at the Concierge lounge on deck 9, which was empty, everybody was either at dinner or the early show, which we passed on (Etta May comedy). We then went to dinner at our table on deck 3. These three deck dining rooms always look impressive, even after hundreds of nights in them.

ExplorerRepo474_zpscce3fedb.jpg

After dinner,

DISCO

We found a spot that we could lean against for the show because as you get older, it gets harder and harder to stand in one spot for a long time. The show was impressive, as always, and CD Lee showed great moves in his white suit. The show started with two of the theater singers, the blonde and one of the guys and ran until the Village People were bouncing up and down the Promenade. A fun time.

ExplorerRepo481_zpsdd1c94cd.jpg

ExplorerRepo482_zps8e5ee570.jpg

ExplorerRepo483_zps9722d62e.jpg

ExplorerRepo484_zps0b92ec28.jpg

ExplorerRepo494_zps07e88883.jpg

Final shot

ExplorerRepo525_zps25c97e13.jpg

Couldn't leave Austin Powers out, could I?

After the show (and a shared tart) we headed back to our cabin and encountered a mysterious flying object. This ship is indeed overrun by wonderful creatures that appear in the night and then disappear during the daytime. Can’t figure out where they hide.

ExplorerRepo532_zpsaae21cb5.jpg

Day 7

St. Lucia. This island is beautiful. After breakfast we got off the ship, did a little shopping in the attractive port shopping area and hired a van-cab, along with some other people, to do some sightseeing. This is one hilly island, which accords some great scenery shots.

The highlight of the tour was a stop at a restored Indian village. The guides talked about basic living styles, tools, cooking methods and utensils. The pathway down from the road to the hut area was narrow and winding but the guide supplied stout walking sticks which were really need by our mostly older group.

Towards the end of the tour we stopped at a beach club for 10 minutes, which afforded us our best glimpse of the Pitons. Then it was back to the ship and another stop at the vendor booths at the pier.

ExplorerRepo020_zps8a67394e.jpg

ExplorerRepo534_zps2344d03a.jpg

ExplorerRepo535_zpscfe095ce.jpg

ExplorerRepo538_zps476f2be1.jpg

ExplorerRepo540_zpsfdd040ce.jpg

ExplorerRepo546_zps3dc6365a.jpg

Edited by The Big Booper

ExplorerRepo635_zps270c4f5a.jpg

This is a panoramic picture of the hut.

ExplorerRepo638_zps2fce0535.jpg

ExplorerRepo639_zps59c1599e.jpg

ExplorerRepo640_zpsc9b6102f.jpg

Centipede. All of them are poisonous and the people kill them on sight. This one was stomped 5 seconds after this picture was taken. Don't tell PETA.

ExplorerRepo641_zps158a7b8b.jpg

ExplorerRepo644_zps4b6ebe46.jpg

Edited by The Big Booper

. The critter from last night had been moving around our cabin while we were out and had found itself a new home when got back.

ExplorerRepo701_zps2b4a3a70.jpg

The entertainment for the evening was Britain’s Zoe Tyler, who was somewhat under the weather. She still performed several songs before giving way to Robbin from the ship’s cast. The drummer was kept busy during the performance.

ExplorerRepo711_zpsd725e0a8.jpg

ExplorerRepo717_zps2b412e27.jpg

ExplorerRepo710_zpsd6b8a4d4.jpg

On our way to the Schooner Bar for our nightly 7:30 PM trivia game we bumped into The Couple who were attired in a wonderful coordinated blend of pastels. And to think she designs and sews much of her clothing herself.

ExplorerRepo075_zps58bdac3c.jpg

After dinner, we went to the Maharajas Lounge for the Battle of the Sexes game show. The men won!!

ExplorerRepo718_zps58b9705c.jpg

Day 8

Barbados. Once again the weather forecast is iffy so we put aside our Boatyard beach plans and decide to head downtown. The last few times we were here on the Explorer it was always Boxing Day and everything was closed. Today we get to see downtown for the first time in years. We have company as the P & O Ventura, a Princess clone, is in port with us. We walk thru the familiar U shaped terminal out to the cabstand and are off to Bridgetown.

Anybody who wonders why the city is called Bridgetown only has to look at downtown.

After an hour or so it starts to drizzle so we quickly find a cab and head back to the ship. Once inside the terminal the rain really starts to come down and the sound on the roof is loud. After a half hour or so we run out to one of the shuttle buses and head back to the ship. The Ventura is docked at a good spot while we are in the boondocks of the port.

ExplorerRepo720_zps625f7ebc.jpg

ExplorerRepo721_zpse8895b70.jpg

ExplorerRepo722_zps9272fa83.jpg

ExplorerRepo723_zpsa4d43314.jpg

ExplorerRepo728_zps16501fac.jpg

ExplorerRepo729_zpsd0f5746f.jpg