car service in NY

escapingcold

Have you looked into renting a Zipcar for the hours you're wanting to drive around Manhattan? It may be cheaper. I personally feel the metered yellow or green cabs are the cheapest. For the car services you are calling I find them extremely expensive. I would bring 2 car seats with you (you might want them on the plane anyway) and then hope in the taxi line at La Guardia for one to your hotel. Do the same thing to get to the cruise terminal on your cruise day. They again have a taxi line at the cruise terminal when you get off the ship.

I'd love to just bring the car seats with us but my dh is refusing because they are just too cumbersome to carry everywhere. I will look into the safe traffic vest systems. My dh is scared they are not as safe as a real car seat though. BUT if they are, they'd be a great option for future trips too. My kids are 3 and 5 and light weight so we'd be able to use the vests for a long time. The whole car seat issue is one of the reasons why I was scared to cruise out of NY with the kids. In Florida, a huge bus picks us up and takes us back...makes me feel safer (imaginary or otherwise)...

Have you looked into renting a Zipcar for the hours you're wanting to drive around Manhattan? It may be cheaper. I personally feel the metered yellow or green cabs are the cheapest. For the car services you are calling I find them extremely expensive. I would bring 2 car seats with you (you might want them on the plane anyway) and then hope in the taxi line at La Guardia for one to your hotel. Do the same thing to get to the cruise terminal on your cruise day. They again have a taxi line at the cruise terminal when you get off the ship.

This is probably the most difficult way to do things....

Suggesting a family with small kids rent a zip car is ridiculous.

Driving a car in NYC just for fun is lunacy. Lol

To the op..... Make your calls .... Get a driver.... Pay the fee.... Tell them to put one car seat in and if you feel you must have 2 bring another one.... But seriously try to negotiate for them to have 2 available

In Italy , romecabs will buy you a car seat if you need it. This I know for a fact. Not cheap but if course romecabs is known for being very accommodating and yes I know you are not going to Italy. Lol

Also you say you are traveling as a large family group?

Really.... Just book a van or 14 seater thru a limo company and be done with it

If you take your own car seats just take turns lugging them

Fwiw and I have many kids and we travel frequently...

As long as they are not Infants I would just buckle them in the car with just one of those safety things they sell for the seat belt to make it safer for young bodies

However if they are very young then just bring your own seats and be done with it

This is not the big issue you think it is.

The issue is that it costs lots of money for ground transport and the savings you took on flight times will be eaten up with ground costs to fill in the free time

Not enough people think about this when booking flights

I do because I am always looking at ramifications of travel timing and travel with a large family

Edit: I just read the post with their ages. Just get the safety vest

Btw.. Your dh refuses to lug the car seats but wants them to be in them anyway? Hmmm

Also booster seats are a consideration too for their ages.

Do t they have fold up ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

I'd love to just bring the car seats with us but my dh is refusing because they are just too cumbersome to carry everywhere. I will look into the safe traffic vest systems. My dh is scared they are not as safe as a real car seat though. BUT if they are, they'd be a great option for future trips too. My kids are 3 and 5 and light weight so we'd be able to use the vests for a long time. The whole car seat issue is one of the reasons why I was scared to cruise out of NY with the kids. In Florida, a huge bus picks us up and takes us back...makes me feel safer (imaginary or otherwise)...

If you can buy at least 1 vest, put the 3 yr old in the car seat and the 5 yr old can wear the vest. When I bought my vests, both my kids were 4 and 3 and they were both fine riding all around town in Orlando and Dallas when we traveled. Be a defensive driver and you will be alright.