Upsell from a Guarantee Cabin

lbrandon

Does having a higher level stateroom in a particular category increase chances of getting an upsell call? I'm currently booked in an MX mini-suite guarantee but was curious if I'd have a better chance of being one of the lucky ones to receive an upsell call if I was in an MA cabin.

Has anyone received an upsell call when they originally booked a guarantee?

Does having a higher level stateroom in a particular category increase chances of getting an upsell call? I'm currently booked in an MX mini-suite guarantee but was curious if I'd have a better chance of being one of the lucky ones to receive an upsell call if I was in an MA cabin.

Has anyone received an upsell call when they originally booked a guarantee?

Don't hold your breath, you have as good odds as on your state lottery.

Hello,

We booked a guarantee balcony on the Epic Jan. 11, 2015 sailing. I noticed a price drop after final payment so I called and asked and we were able to change from deck 8 forward to an aft balcony for no charge. So while there was no upsell, it could be worth a phone call....

Yes, monitor the prices for your cruise. If a better quality cabin is available at the last minute for the same price or less than what you paid earlier, call your TA and see if you can switch.

I've never gotten an upsell call on a guarantee cabin. I've been offered upsells twice, both when I booked a top-tier cabin in my category. I had to turn the most recent one down, though, because it was to upgrade to a Garden Villa for $3,500.

You can generally make your own upsell call even after final payment, if there is a better cabin left at a rate you are willing to pay. Just call and ask (or call your TA if you made your reservation that way). Just monitor the prices (sometimes a couple of times a day) and if you see your target price, make the call. Sometimes, you don't even have to pay more for the switch. Be careful though as you might lose some OBC or other incentives you had with your old booking. It's worth the inquiry. The worst that can happen is they will say no or you decide it's not worth it.

You can generally make your own upsell call even after final payment, if there is a better cabin left at a rate you are willing to pay. Just call and ask (or call your TA if you made your reservation that way). Just monitor the prices (sometimes a couple of times a day) and if you see your target price, make the call. Sometimes, you don't even have to pay more for the switch. Be careful though as you might lose some OBC or other incentives you had with your old booking. It's worth the inquiry. The worst that can happen is they will say no or you decide it's not worth it.

This right here. I monitored prices and was able to get BA > MA for $55. (CAD$64). They also offered MX for free but I'd rather pay the $55 and choose a good cabin.

The point of upsells is to maximize the amount of money NCL gets. Therefore the upsells seem to have offered usually to either higher paying customers or to the ones that have originally booked a cabin that is easiest to sell forward (like aft cabins).

So I'd say that the changes of getting an upsell call from MX to a suite are nil because the price difference.

For example when you have a passenger that has paid $1300 for MA and another that has paid $900 for MX, the latter would need to pay $400 more for the same upsell to a real suite in order for NCL to get the same revenue as from the first passenger.

This is of course theoretical, but one can only assume this is how they think - nobody here actually knows why and to whom the upsells are offered at any given time.

Edited by Demonyte

We are booked in a BE on Epic for April. I do keep checking the prices for our sail date....they seem to be staying higher than what we paid. But if the price should drop later, what is the best way to find out what cabins are still available?

Do mock a reservation on the website for the type of cabin you want. You will either see the available cabins by number or you will see "guarantee" for that level (whatever it is) or higher. As it gets closer to the cruise date, lots of categories are guarantees (or sold out but sometimes that changes so keep checking). If you see something, then call NCL or your TA, depending on your original reservation. Then you can decide if you want to switch or not.