One-Time Use Cameras

eminence_front

We ALWAYS use the *throw away* cameras. We all buy one before we go, take a ton of pictures and then if by chance the camera gets ruined or lost,we still have many pictures and no great loss on the camera at all.

I guess I'm just a dinosaur because honestly I dont even like using digital cameras. :)

PS- And I've never had a problem with picture quality.

Laura

We always use both, we like to have a back-up. We buy single use cameras w/flash as well as water-proof cameras for excursions.

If you want the benefits of a digital camera request a DVD w/developing. The only real difference I've noticed w/my digital is if I want a close up of a flower, bug, etc. For normal scene and/or family shots a one-use camera does fine.

Have a great cruise!:)

I am a digital convert, but I still use a one use waterproof camera for those occasions where you might be underwater (obviously) or in a situation where you don't want your expensive camera to get ruined (i.e. sandy beach). Honestly, the underwater pics were much better than i thought they were going to be!!

We use the waterproof disposable cameras too! I have to admit that I really miss my digital when it's time to zoom though. Sometimes those fish look a lot bigger when you take the picture than when you develop it. On my last cruise I finished up all of the pics, and then a huge school of fish swam by all around me. I really missed that delete (trash can) button! Other than that, they really do take amazing photos!

No more disposables for me! I have a sony 200 7.1 mp camera. I got the optional water proof case and I got to use it at haunanama bay in HI. I had fun using the

optical zoom and seeing the fish in the view finder.Also, the flash was way better than on disposables, plus the housing has a flash diffuser. If I want, I can even video tape.

We use the waterproof disposable cameras too! I have to admit that I really miss my digital when it's time to zoom though. Sometimes

I always carry both my digital as well as disposible b&w and color and water proof cameras. They came in handy several yrs ago when I broke the lens on my digital during a alaskan cruise :mad: . the photos came out great and everyone was shocked that it was from a disposible

They also now sell disposibles with a zoom lense

No more disposables for me! I have a sony 200 7.1 mp camera. I got the optional water proof case and I got to use it at haunanama bay in HI. I had fun using the

optical zoom and seeing the fish in the view finder.Also, the flash was way better than on disposables, plus the housing has a flash diffuser. If I want, I can even video tape.

Seems rather extravagant for a one-time use camera. :eek:

We used the FujiFilm underwater single-use at Discovery Cove in Orlando, and for the most part, they worked out very well. The only thing negative is that the pictures "blue'd out" (lost color clarity) at depths greater than about 5 feet, but that's to be expected when shooting without a flash unit.

We are bringing the more "expensive" Kodak Water & Sport single use this time. Hopefully we can go a little deeper and get better pictures. Anyone with any experience with this specific camera?

(Funny thing; They say you can go down 50 ft underwater with it, but with no flash I can't imagine it would take any picture that would turn out. Perhaps they let you know that so when you drop it while snorkeling, that info helps you decide on whether to ask someone who is scuba diving in the area to go retrieve it for you:confused: )

Yes, I agree with everyone here that in my opinion, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the great quality of the disposable camera pictures.

You have the versatility of having an underwater camera for snorkeling (hey, no deep-end shots in the pool, please!), a regular camera that's a lot more forgiving when you take it with you in your beach bag or pocket (hey, no scenery shots from the Funnel Deck!), and we learned a neat trick: Put one or two of your own return address labels on the camera before you go. We had two one-use cameras returned to us in the mail that the kids had lost on two different vacations. Granted, they came to the Post Office with postage due, but it was well worth it to have those pictures! I think that your chances of getting a lost disposable back in the mail are a *lot* higher than if you misplaced your regular or digital camera.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Seems rather extravagant for a one-time use camera. :eek:

I think it is pretty obvious from the first two sentences that I don't use a disposable camera. Perhaps the opening sentence "No more disposables for me!" was too vague for you?

I think it is pretty obvious from the first two sentences that I don't use a disposable camera. Perhaps the opening sentence "No more disposables for me!" was too vague for you?

Oh, I'm sorry. The thread is titled One-Time Use Cameras. How stupid of me to assume people would post on-topic replies.

Disposables are great and I, the digital queen (Nikon D100 which is in the semi-pro class with way too many lenses and filters) even use them when I need a waterproof one. Great pictures, low cost, not affected by sand/surf and not bulky.

One word of note though...do not place them in your checked baggage if you are flying. Those new x-ray machines they use on checked luggage can mess up the pictures of undeveloped film. The x-ray they use to scan your carry ons is not as powerful and the risk is greatly reduced.

we buy them for the kids (teens) and like everyone has stated the pictures are pretty good, esp. underwater. I would like to add... that rare... despite postings that the x-ray scanners do not damage film... three people from our group with three different checked bags... lost the majority of their pictures. DD who works in photo says she'll check the validity of this.... but the odds of three unfinished films being destroyed and only my digital with pics... was a bit unnerving... never happened before tho.

don't want to spread misinfo... just share an exp. and hopefully remember to give dd response tomorrow. The disposables take aok pics tho.

take care

carol

One word of note though...do not place them in your checked baggage if you are flying. Those new x-ray machines they use on checked luggage can mess up the pictures of undeveloped film. The x-ray they use to scan your carry ons is not as powerful and the risk is greatly reduced.

At airports, I take my camera(s) and film in a big ziploc bag and ask the guys to hand-check it. They always do, with no problem....so none of my photography equipment ever goes thru any x-rays. Just ask - they'll do it for you.:) This goes for my camcorder, regular 35mm and disposables.

Oh, I'm sorry. The thread is titled One-Time Use Cameras. How stupid of me to assume people would post on-topic replies.

If you actually read my post, you should be able to understand that I have used disposables. Gee, isn't that part of the topic? Now, many people buy the water proof ones as well so they can take pics udnerwter. Have you read the other posts yet? From my post, you should be able to conclude that you can get much better pics with a digital camera+ housing instead of using a disposable. How do I know? Well, as I have said, I have used both. Now, if your cruise memories aren't important, then by all means, do continue to use the the cheap little throw away cameras. Also, have fun argueing with CCL security that they shouldn't x-ray your little disposable. After all, it is fun trying to explain to a nigerian national that x-raying film will cause damage to 35mm film, especially when you have a long line behind you! For the cost of about 10 disposable water proof cameras, you can get a housing that will allow you to use your existing camera to take way better pics. But, like I said, if your memories aren't great, get the disposables, watch as they go through the xray scanner, get them developed at walmart and keep telling yourself that they look great. Just don't look at digital pics taken underwater.

I think the point is that the OP was not asking for opinions on film vs. digital -- s/he was merely asking whether anyone had encountered difficulties using disposables. In your haste to demean the wal-mart crowd for their cheap photo equipment, bad taste, and inability to 'appropriately' immortalize their vacation experiences, you ignored the question.

Archived