Debarkation Proceedures Cozumel

ginger4horse

:confused:

Okay. SO we booked the RCCL Navigator of the Seas for Jan 4th 2015. One of the ports is Cozumel.

Our question is about the debarkation of the ship and the availability of seats on the ferry to the mainland.

Getting off the boat in Cozumel, can someone who has sailed to this port recently tell me about the debarkation procedures and an tips to get off the boat nice and early?

We are taking a Tulum excursion but not through the cruise line.We know we have to pay for the Ferry and we are expecting that. Our guide will meet us at the pier.

Can anyone tell us about the Ferry Procedures and what is the availability of the Ferry? I mean do you run the risk of not getting on the first ferry and having to wait an hour? Or will you likely get on the ferry if you are on time for it?

All of the ships I have seen in Cozumel are docked. All you have to do is be ready when they announce it is cleared to go ashore, then walk off. They have 3 main pier areas in Cozumel. The northern one (Langosta) is close to the ferry dock, which is in the city of San Miguel. The other piers are farther away and it would be fastest to take a taxi to the ferry dock, I think.

As I have never taken the ferry to the mainland, I can't help with that part of your question.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Correct. If everything goes as planned, as soon as the ship is tied up to the pier and they are cleared, they will open the doors and you can walk right off. Generally speaking, if you are to arrive at 8:00 am, you can be off the ship by 8:00 - 8:15 am. Sometimes even earlier. You'll need to walk down the pier, through the cruise "plaza" to catch a cab. Take the cab to the ferry pier in San Miguel.

You say your guide is meeting you at the pier. Is that at the International Pier where the ship is docked, the Ferry pier in San Miguel or the Ferry Pier in Playa? I'm guessing the Ferry pier in Playa, but wasn't sure.

There are two different Ferry companies that go to/from the same piers in San Miguel and Playa del Carmen. I would recommend that you only buy one way tickets, that way you have the freedom to take whichever Ferry is going back at the closest time, instead of possibly waiting for your ticketed Ferry. Make sense?