1st Cruise Ever

Alanna

Hello, my husband two year old son and I will be sailing from NYC to Southhampton during the 1st week of September. This is our first cruise and my first trip to Europe. My husband decided since this was my first European trip he would create a lasting impression, therefore he booked us onto the QM2. :)

I'm quite aware that the Cunard Lines like to maintain an atmosphere of elegance and decorum, compared to other more casual cruise lines.

I do have some questions about attire. The Black and White Ball attire is obvious, however the Ascot Ball is another thing altogether. When I here the word Ascot, I imagine an afternoon at the races where men are garbed in grey topcoat and tails along with top hats, and the women are wearing knee to below the knee Sunday garden dresses and wide brimmed hats. What is the ladies formal attire for an evening Ascot Ball? :confused:

I have never seen long formal dresses paired with hats. What is the attire for men, just the dark suit or tuxedo?

As to casual attire inside the ship this means blouses or collared shirts with pants or skirts for the women, and collared shirts for the men?

Shorts, gym clothes, swim attire specifically only in the gym, spa or pool area? What about the promenade areas?

Regarding the evening nanny service that runs till midnight (so parents can enjoy some nightlife); after dinner do parents just put their children into their pajamas bring them to the group sitting for winding down activities and reading till they fall asleep and are placed in cots, later to be picked up by the parents?

These are the only questions I have currently. Thank you.:)

Allana - QM2 is not really "dressy" in fact I think you would find QE2 on the World cruise to be much nearer to what we would think of as elegant. In the day, and outside the dining rooms in the evening as well, anything seems to go. Any concerns about looking out of place soon dissapear when you look around at your fellow passengers.

The Ascot ball is really about hats, though it must be said only a very few ladies brought hats with them. There is a class where hats are made, and then paraded on the dance floor and a prize awarded for the best. If you are really keen to do it properly, there is some info here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/royal_ascot_2002/2024729.stm

David.

If you are interested I can send on some pictures of fellow passengers taken during the Ascot Ball's horse race and some others of ship activities. This may give you a better visual idea of what the dress was on our trip (2004 Three Continents).

Just send me an email through my profile.

You'll have a wonderful time!

Regarding the evening nanny service that runs till midnight (so parents can enjoy some nightlife); after dinner do parents just put their children into their pajamas bring them to the group sitting for winding down activities and reading till they fall asleep and are placed in cots, later to be picked up by the parents?

Hi, Alanna --

My husband and I are quite excited to see that our 2- and 4-year olds will have a like-aged playmate in the Play Zone! From the pictures I have seen, it looks like a wonderful place where they will have a grand time. From the reviews I have read by parents of "older" children (aged 7 and up is what I've seen on these boards), it also sounds like the activities are spot on for little ones. Still, I would love to hear from other parents who have sailed the QM2 with toddler-aged children. Any tips? Especially curious, like Alanna, about what to expect for the evening drop-off dress code and protocol. Our girls are great travelers and are so excited about going on "the big ship" (older daughter started "packing" her suitcase about three weeks ago!),and we know they are going to have a wonderful time -- we just want to know as much as possible in advance what to expect for young ones on the QM2 in order to ensure that the trip is smooth for everyone.

Alanna, I am sure we will cross paths at the Play Zone! See you in just one week!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, my husband two year old son and I will be sailing from NYC to Southhampton during the 1st week of September. This is our first cruise and my first trip to Europe. My husband decided since this was my first European trip he would create a lasting impression, therefore he booked us onto the QM2. :)

I'm quite aware that the Cunard Lines like to maintain an atmosphere of elegance and decorum, compared to other more casual cruise lines.

I do have some questions about attire. The Black and White Ball attire is obvious, however the Ascot Ball is another thing altogether. When I here the word Ascot, I imagine an afternoon at the races where men are garbed in grey topcoat and tails along with top hats, and the women are wearing knee to below the knee Sunday garden dresses and wide brimmed hats. What is the ladies formal attire for an evening Ascot Ball? :confused:

I have never seen long formal dresses paired with hats. What is the attire for men, just the dark suit or tuxedo?

As to casual attire inside the ship this means blouses or collared shirts with pants or skirts for the women, and collared shirts for the men?

Shorts, gym clothes, swim attire specifically only in the gym, spa or pool area? What about the promenade areas?

These are the only questions I have currently. Thank you.:)

OK, before anyone else chimes in, you are going on a crossing, not a cruise. There is a difference, and I am happy you will experience that. Have a great time!

Richard

Archived