'Twas the Week Before Christmas – A seasonal review of the Silhouette

cruisinskier

Hi Coldweathergirl,

Thanks for checking out the review and glad it is helping to get you excited for your upcoming trip. Family time together is really what it is all about when the "kids" are no longer kids.

How far north in Ontario are you? I have a sister-in-law who is moving to Moose Factory in a couple of weeks....they will be very north!

Stay warm and safe travels!

Jerry

We're about the same parallel up north only closer to the Manitoba border. Small gold mining town of Red Lake.

Tell her to pack her woollies. It's chilly up here right now. Makes for a good excuse to get out and go south!

Good luck to your SIL on her move.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We went up to the Lawn Club where they were having a wine & cheese for sail-away....

DSC01931.jpg

DSC01950.jpg

They had blankets out on the grass and small wooden "tables" for the wine

DSC01948.jpg

DSC01951.jpg

Carly & the King were performing here...

DSC01949.jpg

It was a different venue and enjoyable as we sailed away....

DSC01953.jpg

We're about the same parallel up north only closer to the Manitoba border. Small gold mining town of Red Lake.

Tell her to pack her woollies. It's chilly up here right now. Makes for a good excuse to get out and go south!

Good luck to your SIL on her move.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks coldweathergirl!

My SIL is actually spending a week in Cuba before her move north. And yes she will need those woolies! :D

Stay warm!

Jerry

We had dinner reservations tonight at Tuscan Grill to celebrate our son's birthday!

The interesting mural in the hallway heading to the specialty restaurants

DSC01989.jpg

Arriving at Tuscan Grill

DSC01991.jpg

Sorry but for some reason I did not get photos of the menu here...the food and service were great!

Ravioli starters....

DSC01992.jpg

A goat cheese salad!!

DSC01993.jpg

The Caprese salad

DSC01994.jpg

We really enjoyed our meal in Tuscan Grill and would definitely recommend for a nice night out!

Time for dessert!

DSC02010.jpg

DSC02012.jpg

And then they brought out something for the birthday boy! (They then delivered this to the room given we just had dessert)

DSC02014.jpg

And we finished with Limoncello!

DSC02004.jpg

DSC02008.jpg

DSC02009.jpg

We stopped into the Ensemble Lounge to watch some of Johnny Java Mantra (sorry for the poor quality of the photo)

DSC02016.jpg

We then stopped into the theatre to see the end of Joel Mason's show (he is an Elton John impersonator with great personality) . He was very good! Overall, the attendance at the shows we did see this week was the lowest of any cruise we have done to date. I did not take any photos during the show.

DSC02019.jpg

After the show, we made our way back to the cabins and found it was now decorated!

DSC02020.jpg

DSC02022.jpg

DSC02023.jpg

We may have finished the wine on the balcony as the evening came to an end......

Glad they decorated the right cabin when they finally did it :p

Thanks for going to the trouble of checking on the Nachi Cocum site regarding lockers. We can always ask some other folks nearby to keep an eye out if there aren't lockers.

cruisinskier - Thank you for the memories. We were on the Silhouette in Sept. 2014 in the Med. Great pictures. What type of camera are you using?

Hi Suntan,

Always glad to bring back some memories of past trips!

As far as the camera goes, i am not one to lug around a big DSLR. I prefer the convenience of having something compact that will fit in my pocket and that I can easily carry with me for my trips. After some research, we bought a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V. It is a great little camera, basically a higher end point and shoot. It has a 16x optical zoom, 16.2 MP, and full 1080 HD video. It is not great in low light but otherwise it has worked well for us over the past few years.

Thanks for your interest and safe travels!

Jerry

We were up early and had breakfast again in the Oceanview Cafe. The omelette station was very good with lots of choices (they also did eggs, french toast, etc). Shortly after 9 am, we headed over to get in line for tender tickets, arriving around 9:10. There were maybe 50 people on front of us.

DSC02025.jpg

They started giving out tickets right at 9:30. We had tender group 4 which we felt was good and may help us get off the ship a little earlier.

By the time we were leaving the line was very long

DSC02026.jpg

We wandered some on the outside of deck 5. It is not a full promenade deck but basically you can walk outside between the two sets of elevators

DSC02027.jpg

DSC02028.jpg

There are some chairs to sit and watch the world go by

DSC02029.jpg

Next we went back to the cabin for a while given we were not scheduled to arrive in Grand Cayman until 11:00 am.

They did wash down the balcony each morning due to soot from the smoke stacks. We were also given an extra set of towels to use to sit on the balcony chairs. We did notice some soot but not enough to make it an issue. We would book aft cabins again for sure!

DSC02034.jpg

You can see some soot by the drains in this pic

DSC02035.jpg

But this view is more than worth it!!!

DSC02033.jpg

We ended up arriving about 30 minutes late t Grand Cayman (in addition to our already shortened itinerary). Around 11:40 they called tender #'s 1 & 2. And then all was quiet for well over 30 minutes. Yes I know this was to allow all suite guests and those who had booked Celebrity Shore excursions to get off first.

But then they called tender numbers 3-9 all at once causing major congestion on the lower floors, the stairs, etc. This did not seem like a great idea as it was wall to wall people pushing to get off.

Eventually we did get to the front and onto a tender.

DSC02076.jpg

They were loading the next tender as soon as we pulled away

DSC02080.jpg

DSC02083.jpg

DSC02086.jpg

We were docked the furthest away from the actual pier

DSC02088.jpg

But soon we were on land

DSC02090.jpg

When planning what to do in Grand Cayman, we had previously done the stingrays and visited Hell and the turtle farm. This time were we looking to spend more time on Seven Mile Beach.

We hopped in a taxi and were headed to the Westin where we had arranged a day pass. Cost was $119 for a day pass, it includes an actual room, internet, and use of all facilities. Unlike some more expensive day passes, it does not include drinks or food however we found both to be reasonably priced.

Given the delay in arriving and the slow tenders, it was almost 1:00pm by the time we actually arrived at the Westin. Check-in was quick and we enjoyed the property, just wish we had more time there....

DSC02144.jpg

The lobby

DSC02094.jpg

Our room

DSC02095.jpg

Yes the kids were already logged in...

DSC02097.jpg

DSC02098.jpg

DSC02099.jpg

We actually used the room more than I thought we would. It was great to lock up the valuables, have our own restroom, and we used the showers before heading back out...