Best things to buy in each port??

rebsar

Not sure I can suggest any "best" thing but perhaps can help with where. For Singapore have a browse in Little India.

Hong Kong try Stanley Market as they also have some craft stalls so you may find something a little different.

Bangkok, try MBK and Chatachuk Market (only open week-ends).

Vietnam - large market in Saigon. Coffee could be a good buy here.

I have bought so much stuff over the years ie paintings (especially Thailand where you can watch them copying famous paintings - very talented), photograph albums, silk, carvings of all descriptions.

Hope this helps.

In Bangkok, look for jade - esp small elephants done in faux jade green color. Nice gift or to bring home and put on the mantle. They venerate elephants so keep an eye out on the street. Also textiles - the Jim Thompson House kind - are beautiful. Forget the gems as there are many stories of rip offs and the quality is dubious depending on the store.

There is a certain street near the Flower Market (your hotel or guide will direct you) where they only sell amulets. These amulets ward off evils spirits or are to ensure good luck, there many stands and stores that sell these pieces. Some are old and beautiful, some newer, but most are cheaply priced and make an interesting gift to hang around the neck on a strand.

HK: Chinese ceramics and antiques from mainland China, go to a reputable antique dealer. Or, ornamental ceramic soup spoons which are really cheap but are great to collect. The small handled big dipper - sold also in Vietnam to slurp pho soup but nice collectibles.

HK also has interesting, weird dry spices and herbal remedies you can buy at a Chinese apothecary.

Singapore - forget it, zippo. The city is very expensive, VAT charge applies, most everything is imported and considered modern luxury goods. Why buy a camera or smart phone here? Cheaper in NYC or on Amazon.

Vietnam - marble, silk purses,scarves, lacquer ornaments, silk threaded tapestry pictures. Hanoi had the best prices. Stanley market in HK was good for silk, pictures etc.. Lots of choice. Bangkok - Asia tique is a great night market.

I just returned from those same ports. Here are a few things I bought. Singapore: Fashions for my daughter. You can find less expensive items for the younger crowd. Sizes run small. Thailand: Embroidered small purses, elephant pants for lounging, silk tie. Saigon: t-shirts and other good quality clothing for cheap prices at market, hats, silk scarf, placemats. Halong Bay: small handpainted pictures, sapphire necklace. Hong Kong: hanging lanterns, bamboo coasters, tea. Nothing heavy or breakable!