Dinner Attire 6yr old boy?

Cruisin Amy

My son just turned 6. We plan to bring 2 pairs of khaki pants, one pair of black pants, and a bunch of shorts. He can wear shorts during the day and wear pants to dinner and Camp Carnival that night. On past cruises I always overpacked, so this time we're going to make do with 3 pairs of pants for the 5 day cruise. It's really not THAT much more trouble to pack pants than to pack shorts, and pants are required according to the dress code.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

Is there a dress code for the dining room? spacer.gif Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Di...quirements.aspx

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

Have a great cruise,

Carla

I'm going to deviate from the other posters here. While it is true there is a recommended dress code for the dining room and supposedly it is required for everyone, if your child is more comfortable in a nice pair of shorts at dinner then go for it. No one is going to say anything about it. People sweat this subject way too much. Now, you are going to get lots of posts about training your child proper dinner attire and about teaching your child to follow rules and about how inappropriate shorts are. Some people even seem to think that if you let your child wear shorts to dinner that automatically means he will misbehave. But bottom line is this: Carnival has a dress code for the dining room at dinner, but only seem to enforce it when the attire is extremely inappropriate such as bathing suits or short shorts, etc. I personally do not see the harm in letting your child wear dress shorts. In my opinion, if the shorts are nice enough to be worn at a nice restaurant at home then they are nice enough to be worn to the dining room on the ship. Lots of women wear dress shorts like you get in a nice casual suit so what is the difference? Do bear in mind though that the dining room is extremely cold so if your child is cold natured he might very well be more comfortable in long pants. Just remember, it really is not that big of a deal. Good Luck with your decision

I'm going to deviate from the other posters here. While it is true there is a recommended dress code for the dining room and supposedly it is required for everyone, if your child is more comfortable in a nice pair of shorts at dinner then go for it.

I am a VERY casual person, and we normally wear shorts when going to casual restaurants on land. That being said, it's a very clear, simple rule - no shorts in the dining room at dinner while on a cruise. Period. I truly, truly fail to see how a child would be so much more comfy in shorts than pants that it would be preferable to ignore the dress code and let the kid wear shorts. My daughter wears a simple casual knit dress to dinner, because it's comfortable for her, and my son wears a polo style shirt and elastic waist pants - just as comfortable as shorts, only longer.

I'm not uptight, I'm not all worked up over the rule - I just think it's a simple rule to follow. Most kids get cold at night anyway, so you'll need to pack pants regardless.

While it is true there is a recommended dress code for the dining room and supposedly it is required for everyone, if your child is more comfortable in a nice pair of shorts at dinner then go for it.

What an odd thing to do...recommending to someone to ignore someone elses dress requests.

Why does this topic make poeple go so crazy?

I just took four sons on CCL for a week. The first night is a wash as half the pax don't have their luggage yet. Two nights are formal, so you definitely want to have some kind of long pants there (polo shirt is FINE). The rest of the nights I saw... people in shorts and t shirts, definitely. Kids in shorts- you betcha, including two of my kids who were eating at Tiffany's and came in to ask me something at the same second as the waiters started dancing, and sat down and had dessert. There were other kids in shorts- in fact, all the little girls had jeans skorts and skirts on that were totally short and very casual. If any of the older diners let that bother them then they have serious problems.

If you are worried, bring along a pair of pants for each child and make them take them off after dinner (or not). I did that and washed them once over the week. I brought along a button down and a polo shirt for each kid as well.

The point is that what concerns you now will not worry you when you are at sea. People are usually more concerned with having fun than watching what 6 year olds are wearing (don't tell Sr. Jeanne from St. Mark's School).

Sometimes I think people post this question just to see how riled people will get. I mean, you can do the simplest of searches and pull about umpteen recent threads on the topic. You'd THINK someone with any more than, say, 15 posts would have figured out or been clued in to the search engine.

Aw!! come on. Just put some pants on the kid. Take some pictures that will last forever. When he is 56 years old, he and his grand kids will look back and say "that's my Grandpa".

Is this really that hard. I mean "How much do pants vs shorts cost"? Okay, two hours in the dinning room vs room service?

Okay, I don't care it's your QUESTION.

Del

Why does this topic make poeple go so crazy?

I saw... people in shorts and t shirts, definitely. Kids in shorts- you betcha, including two of my kids If any of the older diners let that bother them then they have serious problems.

The point is that what concerns you now will not worry you when you are at sea. People are usually more concerned with having fun than watching what 6 year olds are wearing.

After reading these posts for many years, I (IMO) don't see people getting riled up about seeing what they see on the ships. I have seen it all. What I think when I see appropriate or inappropriate or odd dress is MY business.

But if it were ME coming on these boards the first time, looking for dress suggestions, for myself or my family, and someone told me something that was CLEARLY different than the lines suggestion or the NORM, well, that's just bad advice.

After reading these posts for many years, I (IMO) don't see people getting riled up about seeing what they see on the ships. I have seen it all. What I think when I see appropriate or inappropriate or odd dress is MY business.

But if it were ME coming on these boards the first time, looking for dress suggestions, for myself or my family, and someone told me something that was CLEARLY different than the lines suggestion or the NORM, well, that's just bad advice.

Here Here!!!

It is time to teach our children what formal means!!!!

Here is a great oppertunity!!!!

If the President asked you to a formal dinner and you were only tought that a nice pair of shorts would due then immagine your childs imbarassment when they showed up dressed like that!!!!

Play dress up!!!! How often do we go to formal attire dinners??? Enjoy!!!

Gee Pete, I don't know what you are getting upset about. It's not like anyone has brought up booze smuggling. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I think people post this question just to see how riled people will get. I mean, you can do the simplest of searches and pull about umpteen recent threads on the topic. You'd THINK someone with any more than, say, 15 posts would have figured out or been clued in to the search engine.
I know we will get flamed for this, but I have to agree with you.

I did not post this question to see how riled people would get because I have more than 15 posts ....

Yes I KNOW what a Search Engine is!!

Thanks for the nice replys

I am truly sorry that I posted this question....

Of course my son will be wearing pants. I was just curious!

Thanks 4yanx for making my day!

I don’t mean this in any way harsh at all, and I am not telling you what to do, just what I would do.

I would look at this as an opportunity, to show the young man what is appropriate, and to sort of make the formal dinners a big deal to him.

I am certain he will be treated special by everyone at the table, and he will be complemented on how nice he looks, and treated as a gentleman by the staff.

It is just my opinion, but I would dress him up, and I would do it myself, not have his mother do it. Not just mom dressing him up, but getting himself ready for a formal dinner with the male figure in his life can be a special moment.

But that is just me, your mileage may vary. I have not been on a cruise yet, but this is what I did with my son for weddings and such, we asked my wife to leave the room, as we were getting ready. That made an impression on him, and was a dad and son moment.

Thank you! Astronomer! I always planned on dressing him up I already have a nice vest,shirt and pants that match.

I just was curious and never realized it was such a hot topic.....

good Lord how do you people respond When you see people share their soda card!

Archived